• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Congratulations on finding another episode of the wide world of shooting sports that will empty your wallet:)

Your are aware that you don't have to go to the range. You can shoot airguns in the house. I shoot in the garage- 15 feet or 25 ft on the diagonal. Depends on which car is in the garage. That's plenty for pistol practice. For rifles it's 10M (32.5ft) from the end of the kitchen to the fireplace mantle. At least it is when the wife's not around.
    There are multiple target traps available. Problem is they need to have a metal back to handle pellets. They are noisy when hit and depending on the power of the gun can raise lead dust. Which you don't want in the house. My solution is to fill the trap with electricians duct seal. It's an oil based clay that never dries out. Stops the noise, and any chance of ricochet. About $3 a brick at Home Depot.
    As for the iron sights on the rifle. Look at a set of aperture globe sights. Front and rear are circles. You just center the target dot in the middle. Or go with a tube style red dot. Ultradot are are my choice. Text me I have a Diana 75 that target rifle with adjustable buttstock and cheek piece that might be the answer. Don't move the sights move the rifle.

Bob
    Lol! The wife bought me another air rifle for Christmas...the Crosman Vantage NP in .22 caliber, and she had to suffer through some lame 10 yard shooting I did in the loft. I think I am just going to keep this one with the "irons", although I will be replacing the flimsy rear plastic sight it came with, with something I can attach to the 11mm dovetail slot...probably a peep of some sort.

33fLrgL.jpg

Only at 10 yards to get a feel for the gun, but will be stretching it out to 25 yards this weekend.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Lol! The wife bought me another air rifle for Christmas...the Crosman Vantage NP in .22 caliber, and she had to suffer through some lame 10 yard shooting I did in the loft. I think I am just going to keep this one with the "irons", although I will be replacing the flimsy rear plastic sight it came with, with something I can attach to the 11mm dovetail slot...probably a peep of some sort.

33fLrgL.jpg

Only at 10 yards to get a feel for the gun, but will be stretching it out to 25 yards this weekend.
    Appreciate the pic of different ammo used & how it is working in this rifle.
    I've only tried H&N in my air guns, but only 1 type of a few variations of that brand.
    I've stocked up b/c of the sales at end of the year & have 4-5 of the brands you used.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    We shoot in the backyard with a Crosman Nitro .22 cal. piston air rifle. It's good out to about 40 yards. Use a cardboard box filled with the duct seal stuff. Works great. Also no chipmunk problems now. Have fun.
    45f8e627-f40c-4d5d-a341-223cc10d7a67_1.ce8b982f0ffe295751444dd4addd86c5.jpeg

Congratulations on finding another episode of the wide world of shooting sports that will empty your wallet:)

Your are aware that you don't have to go to the range. You can shoot airguns in the house. I shoot in the garage- 15 feet or 25 ft on the diagonal. Depends on which car is in the garage. That's plenty for pistol practice. For rifles it's 10M (32.5ft) from the end of the kitchen to the fireplace mantle. At least it is when the wife's not around.
    There are multiple target traps available. Problem is they need to have a metal back to handle pellets. They are noisy when hit and depending on the power of the gun can raise lead dust. Which you don't want in the house. My solution is to fill the trap with electricians duct seal. It's an oil based clay that never dries out. Stops the noise, and any chance of ricochet. About $3 a brick at Home Depot.
    As for the iron sights on the rifle. Look at a set of aperture globe sights. Front and rear are circles. You just center the target dot in the middle. Or go with a tube style red dot. Ultradot are are my choice. Text me I have a Diana 75 that target rifle with adjustable buttstock and cheek piece that might be the answer. Don't move the sights move the rifle.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    I had a couple of posts about a Umarex Octane air rifle .22 cal ($250), that I bought in the Spring
    &
    an HW45 .22 cal air pistol ($450).
    I didn't want to add a different thread for each air gun, so I'm just going to post future posts about my air gun experiences, pistol or rifle in this one thread.

I bought 3 more air guns this week since last Friday when I picked up the Weihrauch HW45 air pistol.
    I picked up 2 more pistols & a rifle this week, a total of 4 air guns since the last Friday to add to the one I bought in the Spring, which will probably be cut when I get around to it.
    I hope to go to the range tomorrow to try out the three I bought this week.
    All were bought from INGO members.
    Price at online stores listed in parenthesis to give you an idea of the range.
    You can always find them, if in stock, lower or higher $$.

Diana LP8 Magnum .177 caliber pistol bought Thursday. ($300/Pyramid Air)
    View attachment 164439

Air Venturi V10 Match Pistol .177 target, also bought today. ($270)
    View attachment 164440
    View attachment 164447
    View attachment 164448

HW45 .22 cal air pistol (bought last Friday ($440).
    I started a thread about it before I realized I was going down a rabbit hole, haha!
    View attachment 164443

HW35E .177 caliber air rifle bought Tuesday. ($530/AirGunsofArizona)
    View attachment 164445

Umarex Octane bought last Spring for a trial run at a spring air gun. ($225)
    View attachment 164446
    Airguns are like Pokeman…gotta catch them all! You’ve got a nice collection going.

I’m interested to hear you thoughts on the V10.

I had a HW35….what a great rifle

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought 20,000 rounds of air gun pellets today:
    - 14,000 rds .177 cal. / 4.5mm (41 tins)
    - 6000 rds .22 cal. / 5.5mm (14 tins)

These were part of an estate.
    100s of guns & tons of ammo of all types had already been already sold.
    Most of these were higher-end quality, so it will be a pleasure to shoot them to tighten up my groups.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Airguns are like Pokeman…gotta catch them all! You’ve got a nice collection going.

I’m interested to hear you thoughts on the V10.

I had a HW35….what a great rifle
    The Air Venturi V10 Match Pistol 4.5mm/.177 cal single-stroke pneumatic is an interesting gun.
    It is totally different in "feel" than the 3 other air pistols I have since it is a pneumatic single stroke.
    Quiet, no recoil & accurate.
    It was one of my less expensive ones I bought used for $200.
    New, they cost $270 online at Pyramid Air, then there is taxes, shipping (don't know about FFL fees).

I would enjoy shooting more if it had fiber optic sights on it: I just can't see well with the iron sights.
    The trigger is adjustable, even the angle of it, which is cool.
    I shoot better with the 2 air pistols that have fiber optics & don't know how much of that is b/c of the optics or just a better barrel/gun?
    For the price, it performs.
    I still love the HW45 (.22cal/5.5mm) & Diana LP8 (.177cal/4.5mm) best, both have optics.

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I bought 20,000 rounds of air gun pellets today:
    - 14,000 rds .177 cal. / 4.5mm (41 tins)
    - 6000 rds .22 cal. / 5.5mm (14 tins)

These were part of an estate.
    100s of guns & tons of ammo of all types had already been already sold.
    Most of these were higher-end quality, so it will be a pleasure to shoot them to tighten up my groups.
    WOW! Won't be running out of ammo anytime soon.

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I told a friend that I'd probably die before shooting all of them.
    Plus, I had ordered a thousands of rounds from Pyramid Air about 3-4 times in the past 2 months. :dunno:
    I'm set, haha!
    Yeah, I have more on hand than I will probably be able to shoot up too. My brother and I shot some up yesterday though!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was shooting nearly all of my non - .22LR handguns today but took 1 air pistol to try out some different brands in that 20k pellet bonanza that I bought from an estate sale.
    I discovered .177cal/4.5mm wadcutters today which are easier to see on the targets than pointed or round pellets (row 2 & 3).
    I shot at 21' only today b/c it is better for my ego, haha!
    Using the German Weihrauch HW70 break barrel spring pistol 177/4.5
    21' at 1.75" circles with hands on a rest.
    Range 01.04.2022 Weihrauch HW70 x3 brands ammo 21ft.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got around to shooting the Weihrauch HW35E air rifle (break barrel, spring powered).
    I can't see through the iron sights since either the target or the sights are fuzzy depending
    on what level of my tri-focals I'm peering through.
    Usually, I use a pair of bi-focals to shoot with, so it's a clear choice of sights or target that will be fuzzy.
    I ordered a UTG Drooper Scope Rail, 11mm-to-Weaver Adapter that Compensates for Droop & Stops Scope Shift.
    I'll put a Hawke scope on it that holds up to the 2-way "jolting" of the spring air rifles.
    Looking forward to shooting it when I can see to focus a bead on the target.
    I will dial it in for 25 yds & keep it there.

Results of my miserable efforts at these distances using 3.75" circles.
    10 rds per target.
    range-01-07-2022-3-75in-circles-jpg.174885

This range pic makes the point even more so of my inadequacies with iron sights.
    At 25 yds I might as well be using a sling shot, haha!
    5 rds per target except for torso.
    range-01-07-2022-silhouette-jpg.174886

Only row 1 was at 30', others were at 21', which seems better suited for me.
    range-01-07-2022-all-pistols-but-hw70-jpg.174884

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got an scope on the Weihrauch HW35E air rifle (.177 cal/4.5mm).
    Bought a 11mm-to-Weaver Adapter rail
    &
    put a Hawke scope on it.
    Since I'm shooting at only 25 yds, I can't get the reticle & target properly focused at the same time.
    I'm guessing it's b/c it doesn't have an adjustable parallax & is preset at 50 or 100 yds??
    I have another Hawke scope with an adjustable parallax so hopefully that will work.

I spent 30 rds adjusting scope & finished off with these 20 rds.
    Range 01.14.2022 25 yds with scope.jpg Weihrauch HW 35E .177 air rifle with scope full pic.jpg Weihrauch HW 35E .177 air rifle with scope & 11mm adapter to Weaver Rail.jpg

30' with 5 rds each 1.75" circle.
    Heihrauch HW45 .22 cal/5.5mm (left) & Air Venturi V10 .177 cal/.177 (right).
    Range 01.14.2022 30ft.jpg

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Good shooting! An adjustable objective scope will definitely help out on an airgun. Most non-adjustable scopes are set to 100 yards to be parallax free. Since you're shooting a springer, make sure you use a scope designed and rated for spring piston air rifles. The forward movement of the spring will wreak havoc on even the most expensive scopes unless they are designed for airgun use.

The V10 produced a nice 10m group too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good shooting! An adjustable objective scope will definitely help out on an airgun. Most non-adjustable scopes are set to 100 yards to be parallax free. Since you're shooting a springer, make sure you use a scope designed and rated for spring piston air rifles. The forward movement of the spring will wreak havoc on even the most expensive scopes unless they are designed for airgun use.

The V10 produced a nice 10m group too.
    Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:
    I got out the other Hawke scope with the adjustable parallax & will put it on for next week's foray.
    The Hawke scopes are rated for springer air guns, from what I read.

I read about the 2-way movement of the springers, but I only feel it recoiling backwards like any normal rifle.
    I even saw a slow-motion video that demonstrated it but couldn't see the forward movement at all, just the backward movement/recoil???
    Yes, the V10 is a pneumatic pump & does a good job.
    It doesn't pump breaking the barrel, but when putting the barrel back: the opposite of the springer break barrels.
    I wish it had fiber optic sights on it like the HW45 & Diana LP8.

Also, the .177/4.5 are harder to load being so small whereas the .22/5.5 are easy enough.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I was shooting nearly all of my non - .22LR handguns today but took 1 air pistol to try out some different brands in that 20k pellet bonanza that I bought from an estate sale.
    I discovered .177cal/4.5mm wadcutters today which are easier to see on the targets than pointed or round pellets (row 2 & 3).
    I shot at 21' only today b/c it is better for my ego, haha!
    Using the German Weihrauch HW70 break barrel spring pistol 177/4.5
    21' at 1.75" circles with hands on a rest.
    View attachment 174468
    Yup, wad cutters are great for punching paper! Nice shooting btw.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I put another scope on the Weihrauch HW35E air rifle since the Hawke I used last week didn't have an adjustable objective (or should I be saying parallax?), so I couldn't see the target clearly at 25 yds.
    This Hawke scope had an adjustable objective (parallax) so I could dial in 25 yds clearly. :rockwoot:

This pic is the last 4 circles (1.75") where I was fine-tuning.
    I started out with the POI being 2 feet lower than POA.
    Shooting at 25 yds using H&N Sport Field Target Trophy .177 cal/4.5 mm pellets.
    Range 01.19.2020 w Scope w Adj. objective 25 yds..jpg

Last week's range pic was no worse than this week even with not seeing the target clearly.
    Quite a humbling commentary on my shooting skills! :dunno: :wallbash: :laugh:
    range-01-14-2022-25-yds-with-scope-jpg.176247

Last edited:
    Top Bottom