• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a couple of posts about a Umarex Octane air rifle .22 cal ($250), that I bought in the Spring
    &
    an HW45 .22 cal air pistol ($450).
    I didn't want to add a different thread for each air gun, so I'm just going to post future posts about my air gun experiences, pistol or rifle in this one thread.

I bought 3 more air guns this week since last Friday when I picked up the Weihrauch HW45 air pistol.
    I picked up 2 more pistols & a rifle this week, a total of 4 air guns since the last Friday to add to the one I bought in the Spring, which will probably be cut when I get around to it.
    I hope to go to the range tomorrow to try out the three I bought this week.
    All were bought from INGO members.
    Price at online stores listed in parenthesis to give you an idea of the range.
    You can always find them, if in stock, lower or higher $$.

Diana LP8 Magnum .177 caliber pistol bought Thursday. ($300/Pyramid Air)
    Diana Performance LP8 Magnum. .177.jpg

Air Venturi V10 Match Pistol .177 target, also bought today. ($270)
    box portrait pic & cropped.jpg
    left side cropped & portrait.jpg
    right side cropped & portrait.jpg

HW45 .22 cal air pistol (bought last Friday ($440).
    I started a thread about it before I realized I was going down a rabbit hole, haha!
    left side.jpg

HW35E .177 caliber air rifle bought Tuesday. ($530/AirGunsofArizona)
    box & left side cropped & portrait.jpg

Umarex Octane bought last Spring for a trial run at a spring air gun. ($225)
    pic of Umarex Octane air rifle.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally had a chance to shoot the 3 air pistols today, after my bout with cellulitis end of last week through the weekend.
    Only takes 2 day for me to get depressed having to sit at home.

I did realize today that the Air Venturi V10 Match Pistol .177 power source is really a Single Stroke Pneumatic instead of a spring operated. :ugh:
    Unlike the spring operated style where it takes a little muscle to break the barrel but little to close it again, on the pneumatic it's the opposite:
    easy to open & takes a little strength to shut the barrel back into place.

The Air Venture V10 is a Match Pistol, but the Diana LP8 Magnum is shooting better for me so far.
    I like it the least so far, but we'll see what the future brings.
    It is totally different in feel than the other two.
    Pics of the air guns are in previous post.

If I had optics on all of them it would really tighten up the groups since I'd be able TO SEE!!! haha!

21' & 30' below with all 3 air pistols (can't even see where I'm hitting at 30').
    Front sights fuzzy & targets even fuzzier.
    Forgot binoculars today.
    Still tweaking/adjusting rear sights.
    Range 10.27.2021 All 3 pistols.jpg

Used H&N pellets for both .177/4.5mm & .22/5.5mm.
    8.64 grains or the .177/4.5mm. The .22/5.5mm was a heavier grain.
    H&N Field Target .177.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got to try out the Weihrauch HW35E spring-loaded break-barrel air rifle.
    Made in Germany. Walnut stock. Really a looker.

I couldn't even see where the rounds were hitting at 30' & sometimes even 21'. :facepalm:
    I forgot my binos so I couldn't adjust as I was shooting but would do so after 5 rounds to see the pattern on a practice target.
    I started out putting 1 red dot sticker on these targets, but couldn't see the red dot at 45' & 75" haha!
    I had to put a "circle" of 7 red dots to be able to see it even blurry at 45' & 75', haha!

I want to try to keep my air guns free of optics, well, maybe indulge with the rifle. :nono:
    The arthritis barely lets me crank my neck down to use the iron sights. :fogey:
    I need to have my sights up a couple of inches from the barrel to see comfortably.
    Rifle comes with 5-6 different front reticles that can be used, which is cool.
    But, I found out I needed the thickest front post to barely see it at all. :dunno:

I shot resting the forearm on a bean bag, with the gun to my shoulder, which the later means I was losing some accuracy.
    Since the front sight is blurry & the target is blurry, my groups aren't going to impress.

5 rounds per target (though can't really see them b/c so small)
    Can't hardly see holes the .177 cal/4.5mm make.
    Range 10.28.2021 1st time 21 & 30 & 45 & 75ft.jpg

Love the walnut stock!
    pic at range with HW35E.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shot all 3 air pistols today at 21'.
    I couldn't even see where all the shots were going, especially with the small .177 cal/4.5mm.
    Forgot the binos again.

I'm surprised on how much I am enjoying all three pistols: they are all totally different in their feel.
    Since I'm getting all 5 rds inside the 1.75" circles, I'm happy.
    Next, to do the same at 30', haha!
    I got the rear sights finally tuned to 21', hopefully, I won't have to reinvent the wheel at 30'.
    All of these can do better than I can shoot with my eyes & unsteady hands.

Range 10.29.2021 21ft 1.75in circles. cropped.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up a Weihrauch 70 break barrel spring piston air pistol.
    Shot it a few rounds to get the rear sights for my eyes, as usual.

Did 21' & 30' b/c I can't see any further, haha!
    Remembered my binos today, so a least I could know where each shot was going.

1.75" circles.
    I was fine tuning the sights for the new HW 70 on 1st & 2nd row.
    Need a little more, but I didn't have time today.
    The HW 45 was already tweaked on the 3rd row.
    Range 11.04.2021 21ft & 30ft.jpg

The Weihrauch HW 70 I picked up today.
    Going to have to paint front sight & probably the rear so I can see better.
    pic of Weihrauch HW 70 4.5 or .177 cal..jpg

1st air pistol that I had bought earlier & I love it.
    pic of Weihrauch HW 45 5.5 or .22 cal.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Really had fun shooting all 4 air pistols I've picked lately.

21' with one 5.5mm/.22 cal & three with 4.5mm/.177 cal
    1 3/8" red circles.
    Range 11.08.2021 21ft.jpg

Same at 30'
    Can't keep groups as tight at 30'.
    I'm using decent ammo, costing about 3.3 cents/pellet.
    I could spend 10 cents/pellet (or more) & get better groups,
    but I'll just shoot at 21' if I can't handle 30', haha!
    Range 11.08.2021 30ft.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Enjoyed shooting the 4 air pistols.
    I especially like the only .22 cal./5.5mm pistol, the Weihrauch HW45 (.22 cal/5.5mm) & the Diana LP8 Magnum (.177/4.5 mm).
    Both have optic sights which really helps.
    Both are very easy to load, as well.

On the right hand side is the Air Venture V10 Match pistol that had 9 rounds touching.
    I just noticed I misspelled Weihrauch, haha!

10 rounds per 3.75" circles.
    Range 11.12.2021 x4 air pistols.jpg
    Weihrauch HW 45
    Weihrauch HW45 pistol.jpg
    Air Venturi V10 Match
    Air Venturi V10 Match pistol .177 cal 4.5mm right side.jpg

Diana LP 8 Magnum.jpg

Last edited:

Airtevron1

Sharpshooter
    Sep 10, 2019
    IN

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just ordered this guy, looking forward to some fun.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the break barrel spring powered
    air guns I picked up, especially the handguns.

After buying the first one, I simply bought the others the older gentleman was going to sell since I didn't have to worry about making a mistake in buying the wrong brands.

I keep in touch with him, great guy!

jfemars

Plinker
    Nov 24, 2021
    Indiana
    Your Air Venturi V10 is either a rebadged Gamo Compact, or a copy of a Gamo Compact. Is your gun marked "made in Spain"?

The Gamo Compact has been made for many years and has a good reputation.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your Air Venturi V10 is either a rebadged Gamo Compact, or a copy of a Gamo Compact. Is your gun marked "made in Spain"?

The Gamo Compact has been made for many years and has a good reputation.
    "Made in Spain"
    I enjoy shooting it.
    It shoots/feels different than the other air pistols I have.
    I'm having to take a break from shooting them this week & probably next since the surgeon would have a fit if he found out I was using my chest muscles to break the spring powered barrels of the pistols or rifles.
    I actually enjoy the "work out," of using the break-barrel air guns, but I'm trying to behave myself, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What are you doing out? Do I need to call your wife?
    I'm not doing anything much physically.
    I'm supposed to be walking, so I walk to the car, walk to the range, walk to Costco, haha!
    I just laughed when the Dr. & their nurses talked about not driving for 2 weeks & they knew why I laughed.
    After my hip surgery 3 yrs ago they said I couldn't drive for 6 weeks: it was 8 days (not the manual sports car).
    Get real.
    No motorcycle riding: too cold anyway, haha!
    I didn't drive home from the hospital, but I could have since I didn't have any high-flying drugs in my system, haha!

I start rehab next Wed & I can't wait.
    This TAVR procedure was so uninvasive, that it hardly qualifies as a surgery (except for billing purposes, haha!).
    Heart valve replacement can be serious business like any heart issue, but they seem to have it down to an art form.

My cancerous kidney tumor took more out of me, & it was just 3 small incisions & they went it with a camera & snipped out the offending section of kidney.
    I could have easily gone back to work in a week, but it was nice having 2 weeks off since I had it done during the teacher's Xmas break.
    I count my blessings b/c it could always be worse.
    I still pray for CM & what he's going through, very humbling when a once strong body starts to fail.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First time shooting the air pistols since the TAVR aortic heart valve replacement procedure a month ago.
    Shot all 4 air pistols that I have.
    I was tired after 60 rounds but I pushed through to 80 rounds.
    30' today, instead of 21' & used the 2" targets.

The Weihrauch HW 45 5.5mm/.22 cal. air pistol manufactured in Germany was my first air pistol I bought
    & is my favorite.
    Shoots as good at 30' as 21'.
    Range pics for the Weihrauch HW 45 (5.5mm) & Diana LP8 Magnum (also made in Germany).
    Range 12.15.2021 HW45 & Diana LP8 30 ft.jpg

Pic of the Weihrauch HW 45 5.5mm/.22 cal.
    Price online at Pyramid Air is $400 (hard to find in stock).
    Weihrauch HW45 pistol.jpg

Diana LP8 Magnum 4.5mm/.177 cal. also made in Germany.
    Price online at Pyramid Air is $300.
    Diana LP 8 Magnum.jpg

The Air Venture V10 is different than all the others since it has a
    single-stroke pneumatic power plant completely free from recoil and vibration thus enhancing the pistol's accuracy.
    Range 12.15.2021 HW 70 & Air Venturi V10 30 ft..jpg

Air Venturi V10 made in Spain.
    Price online at Pyramid Air is $230.
    Air Venturi V10 Match pistol .177 cal 4.5mm left side.jpg

Weihrauch HW70.
    Online price $300 at Airguns of Arizona.
    pic of Weihrauch HW 70 4.5 or .177 cal..jpg

Last edited:

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    Congratulations on finding another episode of the wide world of shooting sports that will empty your wallet:)

Your are aware that you don't have to go to the range. You can shoot airguns in the house. I shoot in the garage- 15 feet or 25 ft on the diagonal. Depends on which car is in the garage. That's plenty for pistol practice. For rifles it's 10M (32.5ft) from the end of the kitchen to the fireplace mantle. At least it is when the wife's not around.
    There are multiple target traps available. Problem is they need to have a metal back to handle pellets. They are noisy when hit and depending on the power of the gun can raise lead dust. Which you don't want in the house. My solution is to fill the trap with electricians duct seal. It's an oil based clay that never dries out. Stops the noise, and any chance of ricochet. About $3 a brick at Home Depot.
    As for the iron sights on the rifle. Look at a set of aperture globe sights. Front and rear are circles. You just center the target dot in the middle. Or go with a tube style red dot. Ultradot are are my choice. Text me I have a Diana 75 that target rifle with adjustable buttstock and cheek piece that might be the answer. Don't move the sights move the rifle.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_162833868 - Edited.jpg
      IMG_20211216_162833868 - Edited.jpg
      348.9 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_20211216_162841300.jpg
      IMG_20211216_162841300.jpg
      321.8 KB · Views: 8

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations on finding another episode of the wide world of shooting sports that will empty your wallet:)

Your are aware that you don't have to go to the range. You can shoot airguns in the house. I shoot in the garage- 15 feet or 25 ft on the diagonal. Depends on which car is in the garage. That's plenty for pistol practice. For rifles it's 10M (32.5ft) from the end of the kitchen to the fireplace mantle. At least it is when the wife's not around.
    There are multiple target traps available. Problem is they need to have a metal back to handle pellets. They are noisy when hit and depending on the power of the gun can raise lead dust. Which you don't want in the house. My solution is to fill the trap with electricians duct seal. It's an oil based clay that never dries out. Stops the noise, and any chance of ricochet. About $3 a brick at Home Depot.
    As for the iron sights on the rifle. Look at a set of aperture globe sights. Front and rear are circles. You just center the target dot in the middle. Or go with a tube style red dot. Ultradot are are my choice. Text me I have a Diana 75 that target rifle with adjustable buttstock and cheek piece that might be the answer. Don't move the sights move the rifle.

Bob
    You have always been a veritable wealth of rifle advice. :thumbsup:
    I remember us talking about air guns maybe about a year ago (I think it was you), & you had a set up that you were willing for me to try out to test the waters.
    I really never pursued air guns since since that conversation except for a
    $100 Umarex Octane spring airgun (5.5mm/.22 cal) air rifle with I picked up last May from a member just to try one out.
    The Umarex was fine for a $100 used offering, but it didn't ring my bell, but the used $400 HW35E Weihrauch (4.5mm/.177 cal) break barrel spring air rifle I picked up in October (along with 4 air pistols) is awesome & I'll sell the Umarex whenever I get around to it.

I can't even see bullseye at 10 yds with open sights & I want to shoot my HW 35E air rifle at 25 yds, which means I can't see the target's center at all, but I might put a scope on it, but I'm trying to keep it simple.
    But, I can hardly scrunch my neck down to see through the open sights on the barrel.

My garage isn't big enough for an air gun, but I do envy those that have a basement or garage for such as that.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another range day with the 4 air pistols.
    I forgot to take my targets with 2" red dots x16 on a sheet that I like to use for pistols.
    Before I realized I'd forgotten my targets, a man next to me when he was leaving asked me if I wanted a free target.
    I said, "Merry Xmas to me!"
    After I shot at 30', I also used the #8 on each target as a bullseye to shoot 21' & had the same pecking order.

Red X bullseye:
    5 rds - HW 45 (upper right & lower left).
    4 rds - Air Venturi V10 (lower left).
    3 rds - Diana LP8 Magnum (middle).
    1 rd - HW 70

30 feet:
    Range 12.22.2021 x4 air pistols 30ft.jpg

Top Bottom