• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ed steinberry

Plinker
    Aug 28, 2022
    New castle
    When I was a kid there were some air gun clubs where people were shooting air gun field target competition. Anybody still doing that here in Indiana? I’m about an hour north east of Indy area

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not sure it's exactly what you are talking about, but Hawkeye7br runs indoor air gun matches through the cold months at Riley Conservation Club, outside of Terre Haute.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    We no longer run air gun field target matches. The match director moved away, and turnout was poor due to the difficulty of the sport. We still have the targets.

Nobody wants the challenge of precision events, it requires effort and is humbling.

That said, we run an informal indoor 10 meter league in Jan-Feb. Club rifles from CMP are available to borrow, and if you think you can hold it, we have Walther and Anschutz PCP rifles that were used in NCAA competition. Check your ego at the door.

We can also run indoor air gun silhouette on weekends if there is interest.

RCC is a long way from the OP. For all others, we're on east side of Terre Haute, just off SR 46.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    We no longer run air gun field target matches. The match director moved away, and turnout was poor due to the difficulty of the sport. We still have the targets.

Nobody wants the challenge of precision events, it requires effort and is humbling.
    I think that's why silhouette died out along with other precision events. Now they want to shoot really fast and occasionally hit a target.

AC3D

Plinker
    Sep 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I think that's why silhouette died out along with other precision events. Now they want to shoot really fast and occasionally hit a target.
    I agree with you here, but I wish it hadn’t I have always preferred precision shoots more than the speed based events.

That being said if anyone where to do air gun silhouette, field target or (too a little less interest) benchrest I would be in to compete. I live in Indy and willing to travel reasonably.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Marion County Fish and Game used to shoot airgun silhouette, I tried it there years ago. Looking at their website, I do not see that listed any more. I thought field target would be fun, but never found a place to shoot it.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I agree with you here, but I wish it hadn’t I have always preferred precision shoots more than the speed based events.

That being said if anyone where to do air gun silhouette, field target or (too a little less interest) benchrest I would be in to compete. I live in Indy and willing to travel reasonably.
    Linden Conservation Club shoots air pistol silo on the 2nd Sunday each month. Those guys are great, will loan their guns and give coaching tips. They run a workshop the day before the match. Targets are 10-18 yards and shot both offhand and freestyle.

Top Bottom