• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Searched for and read though a few threads about this topic, but would like to revisit to see if any new technology or suggestions are around.
    When I'm shooting a pistol now, I am having more difficulty lining up the sights with the target. Normally, I only use glasses for reading. I do use safety glasses for shooting, and have tried both a version without any magnification and some prescription bifocals. Here is what happens. If I look through the lower part of the bifocals I can see the gun sights very well, but the target is extremely fuzzy. If I look through the upper part of the bifocals, the target is clear, but I see multiple images of the gun sights. This is really apparent when I use my S&W SW22 Victory with fiber optic sights. Instead of being able to line up the three dots, I may see six or nine dots. Any and all suggestions welcome... and thanks.

Dave

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Getting older sucks.
    Not much more I can add. I've been going through the same issue for a couple of years now.
    I just got new spectacles 2 weeks ago and it helps a little but old eyes are old eyes.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I was always taught to focus on the front sight. The target has always been a bit out of focus. That said, I find it difficult to shoot very well beyond what I consider "social work" distances with my tri-focals. I have a pair of single focal length glasses, originally intended for softball, which I often wear when shooting scoped rifles. Might try them with a pistol.

Fiddle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Fishers
    Maybe this article can help you.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/10/16/the-right-rx-for-aging-eyes

I am having the same problem. I have called to schedule my next visit to the eye doctor and asked if I could bring a handgun to the office so he could help me get the right prescription for shooting glasses.
    He said that prescription I have for reading is set for around 16". So a special prescription for shooting glasses (sights at arms length) will be different.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    :oldwise:I hear you, I'm waiting for someone to find the fountain of youth too.

I can tell you that if I drink this I become 10 feet tall and bullet proof......:)

2Q==
    wpid-dsc01218.jpg

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    I've been wearing "progressive" (not liberal) lenses for general use including pistol shooting for several years. They work pretty well for me. Not perfect, but better than sitting home watching TV.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Buy a cheap pair of readers at lower magnification, break out the lens that does NOT cover your master eye. When you look through this rig, your brain will superimpose both images on top of one another when you shoot with both eyes open.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Buy a cheap pair of readers at lower magnification, break out the lens that does NOT cover your master eye. When you look through this rig, your brain will superimpose both images on top of one another when you shoot with both eyes open.
    I'll try this - already have a couple of cheap readers. Little concerned about not having protection over one eye though. Thanks

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, this and the tinnitus are the two things I dislike about growing old...so far.

I have the added joy of being cross dominant. What I am currently doing is I bought these little stick on "reader" lens and I put one in my right eye(non-dominant) and put a piece of opaque tape over a portion of the left lens. This forces my right eye to become "dominant".

The target is blurry. I can either have the front sight in focus or the target. Not both. And by blurry, that means I do not see the perforations on a IDPA target. I just see a brown piece of cardboard in a silhouette shape.

I have tried so many variations and will most likely continue, but I'm giving this method a try for the time being. I used to shoot pistol left eye and everything else right eye. I do think it is better that I now shoot everything right eye.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'll try this - already have a couple of cheap readers. Little concerned about not having protection over one eye though. Thanks

If you are relying on readers for eye protection than please rethink. Use over glass safety glasses or order safety glasses online, you can Get one lense without magnification

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Searched for and read though a few threads about this topic, but would like to revisit to see if any new technology or suggestions are around.
    When I'm shooting a pistol now, I am having more difficulty lining up the sights with the target. Normally, I only use glasses for reading. I do use safety glasses for shooting, and have tried both a version without any magnification and some prescription bifocals. Here is what happens. If I look through the lower part of the bifocals I can see the gun sights very well, but the target is extremely fuzzy. If I look through the upper part of the bifocals, the target is clear, but I see multiple images of the gun sights. This is really apparent when I use my S&W SW22 Victory with fiber optic sights. Instead of being able to line up the three dots, I may see six or nine dots. Any and all suggestions welcome... and thanks.

Dave

For all you old farts...

SEARCHED FOR AND READ THOUGH A FEW THREADS ABOUT THIS TOPIC, BUT WOULD LIKE TO REVISIT TO SEE IF ANY NEW TECHNOLOGY OR SUGGESTIONS ARE AROUND.
    WHEN I'M SHOOTING A PISTOL NOW, I AM HAVING MORE DIFFICULTY LINING UP THE SIGHTS WITH THE TARGET. NORMALLY, I ONLY USE GLASSES FOR READING. I DO USE SAFETY GLASSES FOR SHOOTING, AND HAVE TRIED BOTH A VERSION WITHOUT ANY MAGNIFICATION AND SOME PRESCRIPTION BIFOCALS. HERE IS WHAT HAPPENS. IF I LOOK THROUGH THE LOWER PART OF THE BIFOCALS I CAN SEE THE GUN SIGHTS VERY WELL, BUT THE TARGET IS EXTREMELY FUZZY. IF I LOOK THROUGH THE UPPER PART OF THE BIFOCALS, THE TARGET IS CLEAR, BUT I SEE MULTIPLE IMAGES OF THE GUN SIGHTS. THIS IS REALLY APPARENT WHEN I USE MY S&W SW22 VICTORY WITH FIBER OPTIC SIGHTS. INSTEAD OF BEING ABLE TO LINE UP THE THREE DOTS, I MAY SEE SIX OR NINE DOTS. ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME... AND THANKS.

DAVE

Top Bottom