• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't know that it's flighty. It's been consistent in that they allow politicians to control the ROE, which is to say, "don't kill too many people" "Be as nice as you can to your enemy", etc..

To my way of thinking, WWII tactics should be observed with any warfare, whether it's a couple of terrorists, a single country harboring terrorists, whatever. Kill as many as it takes until they give up. Break as much stuff as you can in the process. Meet aggression with overwhelming aggression. It worked through 2 World Wars. I think it would work today.

People don't have the stomach for fire bombing civilian cities today.

And to be honest, unless you're fighting a nation state, that doesn't really help.

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I don't know that it's flighty. It's been consistent in that they allow politicians to control the ROE, which is to say, "don't kill too many people" "Be as nice as you can to your enemy", etc..

To my way of thinking, WWII tactics should be observed with any warfare, whether it's a couple of terrorists, a single country harboring terrorists, whatever. Kill as many as it takes until they give up. Break as much stuff as you can in the process. Meet aggression with overwhelming aggression. It worked through 2 World Wars. I think it would work today.
    That’s how our enemies have fought and are going to fight.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That’s how our enemies have fought and are going to fight.
    Guerilla warfare? Yes, I agree. We shouldn't engage them like that. When people's stuff starts getting destroyed, and the collateral damage starts piling up, the guerillas would have less civilian support. They (the civilian population) might start thinking, "Ya know, what we had before was not so bad. Let's get rid of these troublemakers." Or not.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Cars don't typically explode, but they do have a gas tank and I would suppose it's possible with the right series of events to get a secondary explosion out of that. Or tires blowing could fool people into thinking there was a secondary explosion. I'm *assuming* reports of secondary explosions were from either video or ear witnesses or both, not actual eyes on. NYT is reporting that they looked at the wreckage and saw no signs of second "more powerful" explosion upon two examinations. The full article is behind a pay wall so I don't know what expertise the examining team has in post-blast forensics.

I think it's early to say which version is true and if earlier reporting was a lie or an honest mistake in fact.

Initial reporting & initial intel is often confusing, so I'm sure you aren't the only one. It seems likely it's the same, but perhaps not.

I can't speak to secondaries on a car explosion, but in WWII submarine captains often claimed "hits" on ships, and reviewing data after the war it was determined that stored air tanks in the torpedo slamming against the side of a ship would release the air pressure, causing a false claim.
    False because, even though it was a "hit", the faulty torps failed to explode.
    And those were "trained professionals".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

WWII was a conventional war. We win those. See: Iraq take 1, Saddam was the last idiot who tried to fight one against us. We win those because we're really good at it, not because we just slaughter everyone until they give up. In WWII, the US dropped leaflets ahead of the atomic bombs warning civilians to leave the area.

We won the conventional war in Afghanistan as well and then hung around to lose the mission creep goals of nation building.

Russia had a much more relaxed ROE and killed plenty more civilians along with belligerents. They faired no better.

We didn't lose this because we didn't kill enough people. We lost because we set an impossible task.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    WWII was a conventional war. We win those. See: Iraq take 1, Saddam was the last idiot who tried to fight one against us. We win those because we're really good at it, not because we just slaughter everyone until they give up. In WWII, the US dropped leaflets ahead of the atomic bombs warning civilians to leave the area.

We won the conventional war in Afghanistan as well and then hung around to lose the mission creep goals of nation building.

Russia had a much more relaxed ROE and killed plenty more civilians along with belligerents. They faired no better.

We didn't lose this because we didn't kill enough people. We lost because we set an impossible task.

Did we drop leaflets before we firebombed, or just before we dropped a nuke?

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Did we drop leaflets before we firebombed, or just before we dropped a nuke?
    No leaflets were dropped before either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki strikes, but late in the war LeMay’s command was dropping leaflets that listed a dozen or so cities as possible targets for upcoming firebomb raids. The idea was to disrupt any remaining military production in more cities than we were actually planning to hit on any given day.

Stimson had insisted on the removal of Kyoto from the list of potential A-bomb targets; Nagasaki was added as a replacement and was struck because the target at Kokura was obscured by smoke and cloud.

After the two atomic strikes, there were leaflet missions mounted to inform Japanese citizens of the attempts of the Japanese government to surrender if the Emperor would be permitted to remain on his throne.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No leaflets were dropped before either the Hiroshima or Nagasaki strikes

Obviously I wasn't there, but I've read from several sources they were such as:

But apparently many more sources also say they were only dropped afterward, so I was likely wrong in that. Thanks for pointing that out.

The remainder of my statement I still stand by.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Assuming you are talking about Desden, did we know it was going to be an inferno?
    Considering the first wave dropped frags and HE and then the second wave dropped incendiaries, I would have to believe 'yes'

You don't make kindling and light it unless you want a fire

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Well, I'm happy we're not pouring more blood and treasure down that particular hole. It's ten o'clock so May Bell will come in shortly to remind to me to come tuck her in. I need to make a pot of coffee and to go dig some taters because the better 2/3's is doing a pot roast.
    now.JPG

• Haha
    Reactions: KLB
    Top Bottom