• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    After a good soak in PB Blaster, I got to get the OOOO steel wool on it. It cleaned up pretty quickly. 95% of the rust/grime came right off.

I sprayed it again, put it back in the bag and came back the next day and put a little more work to it. I got a few spots I missed. I tested brake clean on the grip frame and it didn't do anything adverse. So a quick spray to remove the excess PB Blaster and the steel wool shavings. I wiped some gun oil on it and called it a day as I was out of time.

PXL_20210406_150400959.jpg

PXL_20210406_150325048.jpg
    I was able to get the empty shell punch freed up and cleaned the threads so you can actually unscrew it with you fingers.

PXL_20210406_150805424.jpg

So I'll put the grips on this week and see if I can fit them up a bit better than they fit now. Then off to the range to try it out.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Chlorinated brake cleaner is my go to quick clean. Keep a bunch around as the government has been trying to get rid of it for years.

I spray with brake cleaner and then with Ballistol.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've seen good things about this stuff lately:

I have an old Ranger that is ear marked for some of it at some point.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Chlorinated brake cleaner is my go to quick clean. Keep a bunch around as the government has been trying to get rid of it for years.

I spray with brake cleaner and then with Ballistol.
    I went to non chlorinated they say the chlorinated can eat or mess up plastic parts, and frames etc on firearms. Have you gotten it on any polymer or plastic parts? If so any signs of deterioration?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I went to non chlorinated they say the chlorinated can eat or mess up plastic parts, and frames etc on firearms. Have you gotten it on any polymer or plastic parts? If so any signs of deterioration?

I think that's the other way around. Non chlorinated brake cleaner is mostly acetone which will chew on a lot of finishes and plastics. Perchlorethylene which is in the chlorinated stuff was used as dry cleaner solvent for years. While neither would be my choice to soak plastic in, I think acetone is more aggressive. I've used it extensivly to test the cure strength of powder coating on steel.

As a caveat I only one one gun with a plastic frame, but have not noticed a deterioration.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

When in doubt, I usually go to an automotive paint prep type of chemical. There are so many different plastics and compounds on modern cars that they're all pretty inert to everything except actual dirt and grease.

I like PPG DX-330, but there are plenty out there. You have to get 330 at an actual automotive paint supply house. A gallon was about $30 the last time I bought any and it's enough to last you for decades. I've never had it attack any plastic (though I don't soak stuff in it either).

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When in doubt, I usually go to an automotive paint prep type of chemical. There are so many different plastics and compounds on modern cars that they're all pretty inert to everything except actual dirt and grease.

I like PPG DX-330, but there are plenty out there. You have to get 330 at an actual automotive paint supply house. A gallon was about $30 the last time I bought any and it's enough to last you for decades. I've never had it attack any plastic (though I don't soak stuff in it either).
    Only time I used it is when cleaning the star chamber after my 2,000rd test for reliability on my AR rifles. However, since I found Ballistol several years ago I just spray it in there let it sit awhile spray some more and it cleans it right up. So I've gotten away from brake cleaner pretty much completely unless I'm working on brakes or a very dirty or rusty firearm.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Only time I used it is when cleaning the star chamber after my 2,000rd test for reliability on my AR rifles. However, since I found Ballistol several years ago I just spray it in there let it sit awhile spray some more and it cleans it right up. So I've gotten away from brake cleaner pretty much completely unless I'm working on brakes or a very dirty or rusty firearm.

I've heard lots of good things about ballistol. I'm going to have to grab a can of that stuff.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I was able to swing by the range for a quick test fire today. Man this thing shoots like crap. At seven yards, I couldn't hit a 10" paper plate using single action. Stepping up to 3 yards I realized it shoots about 4" high. Strangely enough, I shot better groups DA (Top- Aiming dead center of the plate) than I did SA (bottom).

PXL_20210409_171950955.jpg

I put about 80 rounds through it total. It went bang every time. But with it being so small, it's very dirty to shoot.

PXL_20210409_172419075.jpg

PXL_20210409_172707200.jpg

So I'll give it a good clean up, see if I can touch up the grips a tad and give it back to my buddy.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My attempt at 10 yards. I did get a hit or two. The first shot I tried to aim through the camera. The rest were not.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So here is the finished product. I trimmed the front of the grips a bit, sanded them really good with some 600 grit and oiled them up. I cleaned the bore and cylinder holes.

To be honest, I never expected I could do this and have it come out like it did. I'll give it back to my buddy this weekend. I hope he'll like it.
    PXL_20210409_213339852.jpg

PXL_20210409_213355071.jpg

Top Bottom