• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A friend has a old, cheap revolver that has been passed down to him. It isn't worth much but has some sentimental value. He has shot it recently and function is good.

It needs grips, which we have ordered, and a good cleaning. I'm not sure what finish it has but I'm guessing it's nothing great. These were cheap back when it was new.

It's German Herbert Schmidt .22lr that is. DA with a side loading gate and NO swing open cylinder. It's kinda an oddball as most of the DA's had a swing out cylinder and the Single Actions looked kinda SAA.

So what will I need to clean up the finish. I can take care of the bore and non-removable cylinder.

OOOO steel wool? What cleaner should I use?

PXL_20210320_015511950.jpg PXL_20210320_015441287.jpg PXL_20210320_015426968.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Wonder if this might be a good candidate for that boiling technique that Mark Novak is always using on his channel to convert rust and gunk into something that can be knocked off easily with a very soft carding wheel or steel wool. It preserves the finish pretty well compared to some cleaners.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I use copper or brass wool lest chance of marking the metal but still does a great job on rust. I would remove the cylinder and strip it down then do the boil, i had good luck boiling a old h&r 22 revolver,

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I use copper or brass wool lest chance of marking the metal but still does a great job on rust. I would remove the cylinder and strip it down then do the boil, i had good luck boiling a old h&r 22 revolver,
    The cylinder does not come out without punching pins. The piece under the barrel is actually a rod that unscrews to push out the empties.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Looks like the frame is aluminum, be cautious when cleaning, aluminum finishes cannot be easily re applied.
    I reccomend using oil and very fine steel wool on the barrel and cylinder.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    0000 steel wool and oil, like motor oil or any gun oil, do NOT use any solvents on the exterior of the gun.
    Use those in the bore. In the bore I would start with Shooter's Choice #7 or Sweets 7.62 ( I used to collect Milsurps) very good for dark bores.
    I recently had a similar situation, although not as bad as what you have.
    Lots of elbow grease and the above mentioned.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    As has been said, 0000 steel wool and the oil of your choice. It's not a collectible, so you are not hurting value by cleaning up the corrosion at the cost of some of the finish. Protect what is left and enjoy it for the sentimental value.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A friend has a old, cheap revolver that has been passed down to him. It isn't worth much but has some sentimental value. He has shot it recently and function is good.

It needs grips, which we have ordered, and a good cleaning. I'm not sure what finish it has but I'm guessing it's nothing great. These were cheap back when it was new.

It's German Herbert Schmidt .22lr that is. DA with a side loading gate and NO swing open cylinder. It's kinda an oddball as most of the DA's had a swing out cylinder and the Single Actions looked kinda SAA.

So what will I need to clean up the finish. I can take care of the bore and non-removable cylinder.

OOOO steel wool? What cleaner should I use?

View attachment 132368 View attachment 132369 View attachment 132370
    Very interesting keep us posted on what you used and the after pictures.

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Just try the Birchwood Casey complete blueing/refinishing kit. Follow the instructions. My buddy just reworked an old charter arms, using that kit. It had about 5 % of the bluing left before he started. Lots of light rust. The results were very acceptable. BC has an aluminum blackener if you need it too. I use these all the time myself for touch-ups.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Wonder how non chlorinated brake cleaner would work on something like this? Would it be to aggressive?
    I have thought of that. I could try a bit on the inside of the frame by the hammer spring.

The gun is currently soaking in PB Blaster. The OOOO steel wool will be here next week. Then the fun begins.

I'd love to see what the DA pull is on this thing. I'm guessing it's 15+ pounds.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have thought of that. I could try a bit on the inside of the frame by the hammer spring.

The gun is currently soaking in PB Blaster. The OOOO steel wool will be here next week. Then the fun begins.

I'd love to see what the DA pull is on this thing. I'm guessing it's 15+ pounds.
    Keep it soaking until you get after it. You might be surprised.

Top Bottom