• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    My favorite big bullet short range gun is this old Colt New Service from 1915. Started out as a war export in 455 Eley, made it's way back to the US and some time in the 1930s was reworked into this. It takes 250 grain cast on top of 8 gains of Unique. View attachment 207338
    Your Colt New Service is a perfectly superb firearm! Sadly, they don't make them like that any more. I, too, owned a 45 Colt New Service (made in 1921) with 5½" barrel, and wish I had never sold it. That fine Colt locked up like a bank vault. I see Colt is putting the Anaconda back into production in 44 Magnum, so perhaps they will resurrect the 45 Colt chambering, too. Cheers!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Did I miss it or what gun will you feed these to? Depending on gun, twist and type of rifling makes a difference in accuracy and safety. Also know that the 45 Colt case can be weaker in the head so there’s that.
    45 colt cases are no weaker than any other normal handgun case. That is an old myth leftover from the days of balloon head and semi balloon head cases.
    when Dick Casull originally developed what was to become the 454 Casull, he used lengthened 45 colt cases. Yes, he drew them out fritter to increase case capacity, meaning that the case that was left was a tiny bit thinner than original factory specs.
    Linebaigh and Bowen and many others have loaded 45 colt to very high pressures in oversized five shot cylinders and it is not the brass that ends up being the weak point!

Top Bottom