• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    Any experienced advice sought regarding heavy bullet offerings appropriate for the 45 Long Colt. Wish to investigate safe possibilities for bullets up to 400 grains. Thank you for your kind consideration!

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    45 Colt... Don't call it 45 Long Colt or...

View attachment 207163

:):

But seriously, I don't have any knowledge of anything that heavy. I think the heaviest I've loaded has been 250 grains. 400 is getting up into 45-70 territory, but I don't know if the two are interchangeable (projectile-wise).
    I'm not looking to approach 45-70 Gov't performance with a 45 Colt cartridge. Also, 45-70 bullets are 0.458" versus 45 Colt bullets being 0.451"-0.454". I'm just looking to put a big lead slug into something with a modern revolver or carbine. Something greater than 300gr. if practical.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not looking to approach 45-70 Gov't performance with a 45 Colt cartridge. Also, 45-70 bullets are 0.458" versus 45 Colt bullets being 0.451"-0.454". I'm just looking to put a big lead slug into something with a modern revolver or carbine. Something greater than 300gr. if practical.
    Understood. I'm just not sure if any are made in that size range at that weight. Like I said, the heaviest that Hodgdon lists load data for is 395 grain. Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer for you. Out of curiosity, what are you wanting something that heavy for?

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    Understood. I'm just not sure if any are made in that size range at that weight. Like I said, the heaviest that Hodgdon lists load data for is 395 grain. Hopefully someone will come along with a better answer for you. Out of curiosity, what are you wanting something that heavy for?
    My musings were leaning toward 350-400 grains. Want to be able to have at hand a multiple purpose sidearm with shared ammo carbine that can also be used on the farm to put down a cow or hog.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My best results in the "heavy" area are with Lyman's 452651 325 grain gas check mold and a large charge of Lil Gun. This bullet went through a whitetail doe lengthwise at 35 yards when fired from a New Henry Rifle. At carbine ranges I think it would bring down just about anything on the continent.

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    Back in the day Nosler used to offer a 360gr. Lead .452" bullet, but no more. Swift offers a 325gr. and their loading recommendations look promising. Bear Tooth is said to offer 355gr. and 405gr. bullets, but nobody can contact them. Cast Performance offers 335gr. and 365gr. bullets with reasonable load data.

Of course, the cartridge brass has to be modern and top quality, and the handgun strong (e.g., Ruger Blackhawk, Old Model Vaquero, etc.). I am not (yet?) a bullet caster, but was hoping to hear of learned experience from those who might be casting heavyweight bullets, sizing them to .452", and possibly gas checking them.

Last edited:

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    My best results in the "heavy" area are with Lyman's 452651 325 grain gas check mold and a large charge of Lil Gun. This bullet went through a whitetail doe lengthwise at 35 yards when fired from a New Henry Rifle. At carbine ranges I think it would bring down just about anything on the continent.
    Many thanks! This sort of load sounds promising!

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    Many thanks! This sort of load sounds pr
    The highest bullet weight for which Hodgdon has load data is 395 grain.
    I will try to find these daya. Thanks!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the day Nosler used to offer a 360gr. Lead .452" bullet, but no more. Swift offers a 325gr. and their loading recommendations look promising. Bear Tooth is said to offer 355gr. and 405gr. bullets, but nobody can contact them. Cast Performance offers 335gr. and 365gr. bullets with reasonable load data. Of course the cartridge case has to be modern and top quality, and the handgun strong (e.g., Ruger Blackhawk, Old Model Vaquero, etc.). I am not (yet?) a bullet caster, but was hoping to hear of learned experience from those who might be casting heavyweight bullets, sizing them to .452", and possibly gas checking them.

Best advice if you decide to cast and cast heavy stuff is cast it with the pot full, or dropped with some height to it. Fill out is sometimes an issue otherwise, even when you have tin added. Check your rate of twist as well, my Marlin 444 doesn't do well with the Lee 310 cast bullets, same with my 1894. Both rifles were originally set up for 240 grain pistol bullets and struggle above 265.

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    Many thanks! This sort of load sounds pr
    The highest bullet weight for which Hodgdon has load data is 395 grain.
    I will try to find these daya. Thanks
    Best advice if you decide to cast and cast heavy stuff is cast it with the pot full, or dropped with some height to it. Fill out is sometimes an issue otherwise, even when you have tin added. Check your rate of twist as well, my Marlin 444 doesn't do well with the Lee 310 cast bullets, same with my 1894. Both rifles were originally set up for 240 grain pistol bullets and struggle above 265.
    Your mention of barrel twist being suitable is insightful! In all honesty, I am not seeking pinpoint accuracy in a "hand howitzer" load. Rather, if it will hold a 2-ish inch group at 50 feet, then I'm good with that.

The above being said, I am an experienced reloader with both 45 Colt and 45-70 Gov't, among too many others, and appreciate accuracy as well as power in hand loads. This is just the start of the quest!

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    lilGun is an excellent powder for heavy bullets with big powder charges in straight wall pistol caliber stuff.
    So I have heard, and it is a candidate. In the past I have had great results using W296 in hot loads for straight wall pistol cartridges. Just now availability is important.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I know a guy that loaded a 500gr bullet in .45 Colt. He just showed me one last Sunday at the Stout Field show. Of course, he didn't use published data (I don't think there is any) and he has been known to do some pretty crazy things before. I would NOT recommend a bullet that heavy.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I picked up some Accurate TCM powder and new Starline brass, but I haven't found the bullets for loading my own heavy 45Colt loads yet. I currently shoot the Underwood Ammo loaded with their 325gr bullets.

Top Bottom