• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newb556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Indiana
    Hello everyone! I hope you're all well. I am between two rifles that fire 556. One is a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport 2 and the other one is an Fn15 Carbine Mlok 16". The SW is going for 900 and the FN is going for 1400. That is my absolute max price point. I am new to rifles so I would appreciate some advice.

What I want. A very reliable rifle that could withstand the test of time. Something that would be great for home defense all the way to zombie apocalypse, where you most likely won't be able to clean your gun (a bit dramatic). I have always wanted a BCM, based on what I've heard from many. But don't know if that's realistic based on what's happening as of right now. Am I thinking too hard about this? Is the $500 worth the price jump? Should I hold out for a BCM? I will not be getting another rifle for a long time.

Thank you in advance for helping a humble noob.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The S&W should be fine for you. They’re decent rifles and Smith will stand behind them with their warranty. $900 seems a bit steep but I guess for the times it’s the going rate. Good luck with your selection.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I strongly recommend the S&W M&P Sport 2. I have owned one for a few years now and am more than happy with it. Good shooter with no issues. Kept mine a "plain Jane" model, it would be easy to put accessories on it if I choose to. And you get the lifetime warranty from S&W. If there is a Rural King close to you, might check it out. They usually have the best pricing on there long guns (if they have any in stock). I am sure they could beat a $900 price tag (at the moment anyway). Good luck in your search and decision.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Reddit › gundeals
    Gun Deals - Deals for firearms, ammunition ...

Honestly stock this website , they found LWRC IC-Di's for $1400~ today and that rifle at least in my opinion is much better that both the FN and S&W offerings. Plus much more geared to the "buy it for life" mentality.

That being said I would not wait long , but definitely try to shop around. If you are diligent some "decent deals" can pop up.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If 1400 is your "absolute max price point" then get the S&W so you can have stimulus $$ left over for mags & ammo...
    ^^^
    Especially since the OP consideration is self defense and other doomsday scenarios. If you won't have time to clean the rifle you certainly won't have to time reload your 1 magazine.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Reddit › gundeals
    Gun Deals - Deals for firearms, ammunition ...

Honestly stock this website , they found LWRC IC-Di's for $1400~ today and that rifle at least in my opinion is much better that both the FN and S&W offerings. Plus much more geared to the "buy it for life" mentality.
    Saw the LWRC for <$1500 last week in, of all places, Shoot Point Blank. Will be kicking myself for weeks/months/years for not grabbing it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bbl not coated under FSB means not mil spec too ( some Bbls made like that- used to be a look across chart yrs ago about the specs and who does what ).

Id look at a spare BCG or upgrade and go w the Smith.

Newb556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2021
    Indiana
    I really appreciate everybody's replies. I use the Doomsday scenario to give everyone a sense of me wanting a rifle that will last even if we can't buy them anymore. Also taking into account the possibility of being quite hard on it.

I haven't heard anyone mention BCM. The common theme I see is lwrc.

The $1,400 was more for the price tag of rifle without attachments and ammo.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    BCM is a solid rifle for sure. I don't know if you'll find one at your price point?
    Also the most likely source will be gunbroker, not sure if you have a GB acct?
    I haven't looked at prices on them for a few months.

Sons of Liberty Gun works as well as Daniel Defense (not sure of their current quality)
    Colt pre 2008 if you can find one.
    All solid rifles.
    Springfield Saint is another decent rifle as well.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Fn for me. But.... if it's going to see <1000 rounds a year, no need to spend the extra cash. I would choose fn for a rifle I would rely on 100% in shtf. Ymmv

Top Bottom