• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    OP - So sorry for your loss. They certainly take root in your heart.

If you are from the Greenwood area there is a rescue called Tails and Trails that seems to put a little bit of time into learning the general temperament or personalities of their pups. From stalking them on the book of faces I've noticed they tend to have small to medium sized dogs more often than the bigger breeds and that may be a plus in your search.

As IndyJohn said above, we got both ours from Southside Animal Shelter and would happily go back and rescue two or three or twelve more...if he would let me. The fur baby in the picture wasn't ever listed on their website; many adoptable dogs aren't ever listed online so shelter visits are usually helpful.
    They do have a way of finding a place in our hearts.

I just submitted a question to Tails and Trails. Thank you for the recommendation.

We are in Greenwood near Freedom Park. A great place to walk a buddy.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    We put our dog Mylo, down January 2020 after being with him for 15 years. Mylo was a terrier / lab mix and weighed 40 pounds. He was a really laid back guy. We are ready for another fur kid to fill the void.

We are looking for a dog that I can train to go hiking and backpacking in the Hoosier National Forest and walk in the neighborhood almost daily. I am thinking a young or adult dog under 30 pounds would be good. Not necessarily looking for a pure breed dog.

We have a 48” high fenced backyard and the local park is within walking distance. I am retired and my wife still works a regular day job so the dog would spend most of the time with me. I am watching PetFinder.com and checking local shelter and rescue organizations daily.

Any advice you might have for me in my search will be appreciated. Anything to beware of when dealing with shelters and rescue organizations. Thanks

Sorry to hear the sad news....tough losing a good dog.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The worst thing about having a dog is that we tend to outlive them, so heartbreaking. Back in 1993 when my wife and I just started dating I had "Joe" an awesome dog, truly a junkyard dog from West Terra Haute, father was the neighbors half German Shepard, half Doberman and mother was a big black and tan Doberman. I made sure he got along with my future wife early on in the relationship because the dog wasn't going anywhere. Well they did get along fine so I married her. In fact she wanted her own dog also so we got a beagle mix for her and he was also a great dog, they both were 13 when their health went too bad.
    We have two dogs now one came from a shelter out in the sticks near Poland Indiana. Wife wanted a little dog and all they knew was the mother was a chihuahua/dachound mix and the pictures they posted were soo cute. He too is a great dog all 40 pounds of him. I have always had mixed breed dogs and they somehow always have been great dogs but you never really know what they will grow into. Just love them and thank god for them and their friendship. Jim.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Hard to lose a family member, but they live on in your heart. Will the new arrival fill any role in the family? Do you have any flexibility in your size range? Also how much outdoor space is availabl?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We lost our two senior labs over the past several months. We were worried about the "puppy" but she seems to have adjusted well to being an only child for the most part. We've never gone to a breeder or pet store but took in others unwanted unloved animals. It's funny but we both believe that after a few months with us they realize how much better off they are when they're wanted and loved.

Still too early to think about another one but if another dog "finds us" before we're ready we'll treat it as a sign and welcome them into our home and lives.

Yes we're dog people. Furballs in the living room? Meh. Dog hair on the dinner plate? Meh. Occasional midnight accident? It happens.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes we're dog people. Furballs in the living room? Meh. Dog hair on the dinner plate? Meh. Occasional midnight accident? It happens.
    I remember seeing a sign that was made for a front door that said something to the effect of, "We have dogs. Don't want dog hair on your clothes? Don't sit down. That's why it's called FURniture." :):

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Glad you found a pup! We had to put both of our beloved dogs down, our shepherd in November, and our pit/border collie mix in January. It sounds crazy, but it’s hard to even type those words. Our shepherd was only 4 years old, he suffered from seizures for the last year of his life, and didn’t respond to treatment, probably the hardest decision I ever had to make. We got both of our new puppies from a shelter in Medora, brother and sister, and while they can’t replace our other two, they have brought a ton of happiness to our house, and both show signs of hating groundhogs, which were starting to get pretty bold after we lost the big shepherd.

Top Bottom