• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Aftermath Forensics tell us a lot about each of these terrible murders that is sweeping America. We uncover types of weapons, neighbor interviews, social web pages, weapon acquirement, parental responsibility (if any), manifests, and victim profiles.

But what I haven’t seen too easy is the complete medical, mental and social history spanning the shooters lifetime of him and the parents that spawned him. What drugs, prescription or otherwise, have they been off and on since birth. The complete list. The therapy. All of it in a comparison chart.

Maybe it is out there and I just haven’t seen it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hippa protections for mental health are even blocked from the NICS system. I have first hand knowledge of NICS checks going through for people with life long issues.

The whole generation where Drs. and parents raised children on Ritalin are now on the streets. They became adults who never matured emotionally. I was at a lecture where the professor spoke of continuous Ritalin use in childhood, correlated significantly with adult drug addictions.

Reports that the shooter in Texas shot his grandmother before his rage manifest in the school. He was upset that he could not graduate high school. I guarantee this was not the man's first display of crazy.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Maybe it is out there and I just haven’t seen it.
    You will probably NEVER see it. Pharmaceutical companies as highly profitable with strong and deep lobbying organizations. Neither the professional political class, or the bureaucrat class are going to bite the hand that feeds them.

ADHD meds, SRIs, pretty much all of the psychotropic drugs should be a disqualifying condition, at least during active use (by disqualifying I mean procurement or possession).

I also support research on the correlation between these murders and the drugs they are / were on, with requirements for action against the drug and maker when outcomes are positive for correlation with murder.

Write your professional political representative. If i am the only one banging on these points they do not even get recognized. If there a 10K of us or more? May be there will be some interest.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Grade-school shootings by kids correlate precisely with antidepressant approval and use in kids beginning in the late 80s.

Guns have been around forever, but this grade school shooting crap started up in "square wave" fashion when kids started taking these.

I'm not in favor of banning them, or suing the pharma companies, or anything like that. Just modify the drug approval so that use in minors requires an actual psychiatric diagnosis. No more family doctors psy-medicating kids, with no licensing in mental health.

These kids need 1) diagnosed, and 2) treatment appropriate to the diagnosis. We're not going to get that as long as family doctors give these things to kids like candy.

There have been "problem kids" since the beginning of time. That hasn't changed. What has changed, is how we treat and medicate them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Grade-school shootings by kids correlate precisely with antidepressant approval and use in kids beginning in the late 80s.

Guns have been around forever, but this grade school shooting crap started up in "square wave" fashion when kids started taking these.

I'm not in favor of banning them, or suing the pharma companies, or anything like that. Just modify the drug approval so that use in minors requires an actual psychiatric diagnosis. No more family doctors psy-medicating kids, with no licensing in mental health.

These kids need 1) diagnosed, and 2) treatment appropriate to the diagnosis. We're not going to get that as long as family doctors give these things to kids like candy.

There have been "problem kids" since the beginning of time. That hasn't changed. What has changed, is how we treat and medicate them.
    Take a solid look at the parents as well.
    We knew people that thought this was the way to calm the kids down so they could put up with them. My thought is try some solid parenting. Get the kids in some Activity’s. Work with them. Instead of mom medicating herself to calm her nerves. Way to much Pharma in most lives. Way too much.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    You will probably NEVER see it. Pharmaceutical companies as highly profitable with strong and deep lobbying organizations. Neither the professional political class, or the bureaucrat class are going to bite the hand that feeds them.

ADHD meds, SRIs, pretty much all of the psychotropic drugs should be a disqualifying condition, at least during active use (by disqualifying I mean procurement or possession).

I also support research on the correlation between these murders and the drugs they are / were on, with requirements for action against the drug and maker when outcomes are positive for correlation with murder.

Write your professional political representative. If i am the only one banging on these points they do not even get recognized. If there a 10K of us or more? May be there will be some interest.
    Correlation does not equal causation. We firearms owners know that intuitively when correlation is used to implicate firearms in mass murder events, yet we frequently turn right around make the exact same mistake with things we don't know and understand. This knee jerk blaming of things other than the murderer is just as bad when it comes from the pro 2A side as it is when the other side rushes to blame firearms. I certain most of the armchair psychologists mean well, adding additional stigmatism to mental health treatment is counterproductive.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Correlation does not equal causation. We firearms owners know that intuitively when correlation is used to implicate firearms in mass murder events, yet we frequently turn right around make the exact same mistake with things we don't know and understand. This knee jerk blaming of things other than the murderer is just as bad when it comes from the pro 2A side as it is when the other side rushes to blame firearms. I certain most of the armchair psychologists mean well, adding additional stigmatism to mental health treatment is counterproductive.
    It is stupid not to understand that the majority of these school shooters are on or have been on the drugs and there is a problem there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Take a solid look at the parents as well.
    We knew people that thought this was the way to calm the kids down so they could put up with them. My thought is try some solid parenting. Get the kids in some Activity’s. Work with them. Instead of mom medicating herself to calm her nerves. Way to much Pharma in most lives. Way too much.

Hardly any, if any at all, of troubled kids are raised by two parents that actually parent. Kids need supervision and direction, it's the parent's job.

When we think back, a lot of these troubled youths have been the result of the normalization of divorce, split custody the "me, me, me" mentality and all of the excuses that go along with it. The family coming first and the hard work that it takes to maintain it has been lost. Thus we have more and more and more lost youth, "raised" with little or no parenting.

The liberal "It takes a village" thinking bolsters this mentality of kids raising themselves. Sadly, we now have lost kids, that never had parenting, "parenting" kids of their own. Often in single parent homes. It's recipe for mental problems and here we are...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Hardly any, if any at all, of troubled kids are raised by two parents that actually parent. Kids need supervision and direction, it's the parent's job.

When we think back, a lot of these troubled youths have been the result of the normalization of divorce, split custody the "me, me, me" mentality and all of the excuses that go along with it. The family coming first and the hard work that it takes to maintain it has been lost. Thus we have more and more and more lost youth, "raised" with little or no parenting.

The liberal "It takes a village" thinking bolsters this mentality of kids raising themselves. Sadly, we now have lost kids, that never had parenting, "parenting" kids of their own. Often in single parent homes. It's recipe for mental problems and here we are...

Yep. Couldn't agree more.

But "background checks!!!!!" is so much easier. It's an extension of the "take the easy pill" philosophy. I mean, I get it. Fixing society is hard. Passing a law is easy. But you have to at least be willing to acknowledge the real societal issue.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It is stupid not to understand that the majority of these school shooters are on or have been on the drugs and there is a problem there.
    No, thinking that correlation equals causation, especially when mass shootings correlate far more with firearms than drugs of any type is far closer to stupid. So, is complaining about the antis targeting firearms and then turning around and targeting things we don't know and understand.

Instead, how about we put the blame firmly where it belongs, on the POS that chose to commit mass murder? No guns, drugs, video games or anything else made him pull the trigger, he alone chose to do so and he alone is responsible.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No, thinking that correlation equals causation, especially when mass shootings correlate far more with firearms than drugs of any type is far closer to stupid. So, is complaining about the antis targeting firearms and then turning around and targeting things we don't know and understand.

Instead, how about we put the blame firmly where it belongs, on the POS that chose to commit mass murder? No guns, drugs, video games or anything else made him pull the trigger, he alone chose to do so and he alone is responsible.
    Do you blame babies for sh****g their pants? The mentally ill are not able to take the blame either, then they are given drugs by the system and sent back out to do what they do. It is not an inanimate objects fault it was used to kill, but that is way different than blaming prescribing drugs then sending them out…

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan

Yep. Perhaps we can blame the Bath School bombing (44 murdered) on Alfred Nobel (the inventor of dynamite)!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Do you blame babies for sh****g their pants? The mentally ill are not able to take the blame either, then they are given drugs by the system and sent back out to do what they do. It is not an inanimate objects fault it was used to kill, but that is way different than blaming prescribing drugs then sending them out…
    Much like the anti 2A crowd, you are choosing to demonize something you know absolutely nothing about. The only real difference I see is that a certain amount of the anti 2A crowd does it out of a desire for control as well. Just as the anti 2A nonsense can make it harder for people to own and use firearms to protect themselves, your efforts to demonize psychological treatment and medication can make it harder for the mentally ill to get or even seek the help that they need.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Much like the anti 2A crowd, you are choosing to demonize something you know absolutely nothing about. The only real difference I see is that a certain amount of the anti 2A crowd does it out of a desire for control as well. Just as the anti 2A nonsense can make it harder for people to own and use firearms to protect themselves, your efforts to demonize psychological treatment and medication can make it harder for the mentally ill to get or even seek the help that they need.
    I get it. How many more violent crimes would there be if certain people were not properly medicated? I'm very conservative when it comes to taking medicine, but sometimes there is a real need. I used to make fun of it and think people could just "snap out of it" or have more self control, back when i knew everything...lol.

Top Bottom