• ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    A couple.

I have an Accupoint 1-6X24mm duplex on the "DMR" (nice trigger, frozen barrel, fixed stock) rifle and a 3x30 (green horseshoe) on a line AR.

However, by "home AR" if you mean something by the bed? Man, I'd look at a dot (and a suppressor!).

(Dots are not for me because of my zombie left eye. I get a wicked halo on my left side with dots).

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I don't have a "home AR" since I have a home shotgun but I do run one on my field gun. It's a TA11J-G. When I've run through my house with it at night I notice it gathers plenty of light and that big glowing reticle is super easy to aim. Only problem is 3.5x is pretty up close and personal indoors. If I was to use it for realz I don't think I'd even aim through an optic. I'd Costa Thumbs the bad guy until he was dead or ran away.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I ran a TA-31 (So your basic 4x with the red chevron BDC like the originals) for a little while. With some practice you can get good at the Bindon method of both eyes open, but the longer you try to aim, the more your eye wants to try to use the magnification. I also found that while the Tritium was bright enough to pick up in very low light conditions, it did make it a bit more difficult to get a good sight picture.

I ultimately went in an Aimpoint COMP M4, as the brighter dot was much easier to get quickly with both eyes open.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Trjicon ACOG Reflex 24. Fiberoptic for day, tritium for night. No batteries to die or switches to fiddle with. Gemtech Trek on the end with the hole in it. Soon as my form 1 nonsense is done with it'll get a good bit shorter.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    TA44 and an ancient RX01. 1.5 power with the circle dot reticle is awesome, glass is crystal clear, and it's a compact optic. The RX01 is a backup optic and even though it was made 20 years ago, the tritum still glows a bit in total darkness. With the fiber optics though, it's always GTG in the day

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I've had the TA-11 as well as a TA-45. I'm definitely an ACOG fanboy. I hate changing batteries and if it's electronic, I usually find a way to kill it. ACOG's check all the boxes for me. You definitely pay for them though. If I had the funds, I'd have them on every rifle I own.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My bad on the "home AR" reference. I wasn't referring necessarily to just a bedside gun, but one that us mere non-patrolling mortals use at the range and for training. Thanks again for participating and all the helpful answers.

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    I have one of the few, properly-built TriPower's on my "home rifle." Although, to be honest, it's more of a quad-power (Battery, ambient light, tritium and mini-cyalume stick). Simple 1-power with chevron, adjusts automatically to light level.

When I say properly-built, I mean I have one of the Night-Vision upgrades where the tritium can still be seen in low-light levels. I like the set-up, but wouild probably just go with a regular Aimpoint, maybe on the of the micros, next time.

The Professor

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My bad on the "home AR" reference. I wasn't referring necessarily to just a bedside gun, but one that us mere non-patrolling mortals use at the range and for training. Thanks again for participating and all the helpful answers.

In that sense, yes, I have an ACOG on the AR that is my go-to range gun. Even sees some use in the woods for coyotes and other critters. I've just found that it doesn't work for me for very close range / quick shots. I've found a non magnified red dot works best for me for those situations.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I prefer not to run a dot either due to bad halo. Have always wondered how I could see an ACOG.

Acogs don't have a diopter, you'll want glasses for precise shooting.

But across the room distances? Won't really matter if it's a fiberoptic/tritium model, just put the chevron on what you want to shoot and the bullet will land a fair deal below it indoors.

I'm running a TA31F on my tavor and it's my primary HD firearm. I prefer it over a red dot by a fair deal, but everyone is different and some people can't figure out how to use magnified optics in close range.

That said, your astigmatism shouldn't matter when using it, but your index most certainly will matter. Acogs seem a little more picky about eyesight than most other scopes even with their diopters zeroed out. I did manage to shoot a few 1" groups at 100 without glasses, so if you can get used to it, it's still plenty effective even if the reticle is a little blurry for you.

I tried the TA31 on my AR15 and had a very different experience from having it on my tavor. The cheek weld with an AR15 forces me to hunt for eye relief and isn't tight enough to feel confident with. With the tavor, as soon as my cheek is pressed firmly on the stock, eye relief is achieved and is hard to lose, so it's very fast on my tavor.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My 14.5" gun has a TA31-ECOS with an RMR on top. <<<my avatar pic is from a carbine class using this very ACOG. 4X was a bit much up close. The rds really helped.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My 14.5" gun has a TA31-ECOS with an RMR on top. <<<my avatar pic is from a carbine class using this very ACOG. 4X was a bit much up close. The rds really helped.

I'm curious, how do you zero the red dot piggy backed on an acog with that massive height over bore?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Mine's way up on top of an A2 upper, so there's a lot of offset, and I zero it at about 10m for household range. I'm not figuring to do precision shooting, just get a bullet close to the dot now.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    With a 3.25MOA dot that high up, it's not precise at all. It's more of a chin weld type shooting position and it worked well when shooting from funny angles and from under a barricade. I zero'd my RMR at 50 yds, ACOG @ 100 yds.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    I have had one for years even dropped the gun and acog on concrete and it still has never been re-zeroed. You pay but its by far my favorite if only I could have one on all my AR set ups. I have the TA31 red chevron and the BDC love it. For close range just put the red center mass and it will work fine for close range.

Top Bottom