Btown Rural

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    “Courts have noted [that] to tell the transgender student, who is certainly at that point in their life suffering from feeling different from everyone else, that they have to use the ‘special bathroom’ is incredibly destructive,” Falk said.

“Because, again, singling the student out, making the student have to stand up in front of his of her class and say, ‘No, I’m real, I’m female, use the right name’ it is damaging,” Falk said.

Compelled speech or else you're "hurting" me. :rolleyes:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Someone forward this to the administrators and teachers of the school...

The school then performed “a formal investigation” which declared that Meriwether was creating “a hostile environment” for the student, simply because Meriwether refused to let that student force him to say things he disagreed with.

Shawnee State officials then placed a written warning in the professor’s file, demanding he change the way he addresses transgender students to avoid being fired or suspended without pay.
    Rather than bow, Meriwether contacted the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), a free speech law firm focused on protecting the first amendment rights of Americans. They sued, and have now won a big victory for freedom of speech.

As part of the agreement (pdf) announced Thursday, Shawnee State University will pay $400,000 in damages and attorney’s fees to settle the federal lawsuit with Nicholas Meriwether, a professor at its humanities department.
    In addition, the university acknowledges Meriwether’s right to choose when to use, or avoid using, titles or pronouns when referring to or addressing students, and pledges to never force him to use anyone’s preferred pronouns, including when a student requests pronouns that don’t align with his or her biological sex.

When the school tried to force Meriwether to use fake pronouns in 2018 under the absurd premise that not doing so created a hostile environment for the student, the school apparently didn’t notice that it was thus creating a hostile environment for Meriwether. Apparently, fair play for all doesn’t apply under these new speech rules.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just curious how this will play out. On this side FOS won but in Florida it lost. Is this speaking out of both sides of the mouth? Asking for a friend.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Bathrooms comport with plumbing; end of story - especially for minors.

The student was offered a perfectly acceptable option: use of the universal/non-gender, single-stall bathroom. There is no discrimination here.

As for use of pronouns: the student is welcome to the student's preferences, but those compelling those preferences on others (teachers or students) is a violation of their freedom of speech.

As for the soccer team: I say, let the student try out for the boy's soccer team. If the student makes the team, allow the student to play, after signing an indemnification of liability for any injuries sustained.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    FOS? = Friends of Satan? Fans of the State?
    Pretty simple for me. I follow the complete constitution including Freedom of Speech. And EVERY day BOTH parties swing on the parts that will get their lying asses elected. Case in point, they feed the propaganda to the sheep who pick and choose what they wanna hear meanwhile nothing gets done but a waste of our money. Back and forth. Shuffle the votes and dump on the people.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    On this side FOS won but in Florida it lost.

Wasn't clear to me from context. I don't believe freedom of speech lost in Florida.

Should employees of the government have complete freedom of speech while performing there duties, and should their be differences in speech while dealing with minors?

And the bill in question was specifically about instruction, not incidental speech, like a male teaching saying my husband and I went kayaking this weekend.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    Pretty simple for me. I follow the complete constitution including Freedom of Speech. And EVERY day BOTH parties swing on the parts that will get their lying asses elected. Case in point, they feed the propaganda to the sheep who pick and choose what they wanna hear meanwhile nothing gets done but a waste of our money. Back and forth. Shuffle the votes and dump on the people.
    I agree with one caveat, one side is amateurish in that effort due to not owning MSM and the other is a freaking superstar at it because they do own the MSM. Not saying the prep league twerps won’t do the same if they get the chance but clearly one side deserves my anger more than the other at this point.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Hmmm, I wonder, if one opposes this, can't you just say, I'm sorry but misidentifying things is against my nature and causes me distress...

smirk, I'm a conscientious objector in the culture wars...

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Hmmm, I wonder, if one opposes this, can't you just say, I'm sorry but misidentifying things is against my nature and causes me distress...

smirk, I'm a conscientious objector in the culture wars...
    LOL. We wish it was that simple. Everyone takes a stand on the issues like Abortion, Gun Control, Health Care, and Human Rights, that is until the family gains a member fitting the bracket. What then, disown them?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    LOL. We wish it was that simple. Everyone takes a stand on the issues like Abortion, Gun Control, Health Care, and Human Rights, that is until the family gains a member fitting the bracket. What then, disown them?
    This was the plan. I read this and think how the heck did they pull this off? They co-opted education, entertainment, and news. Just a band of societal misfits that ****ed up your world…

Top Bottom