• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I hear you. From what I understand he is ex.mil and current LE so there you go. Everyone wants to train with those kind of people it seems whether what they are teaching is relevant to your mission or not. I fell into that trap myself years back when I was training with all of the Delta/SOF guys. Some of them got it, some of them didn't.
    I also started out this journey mostly training with those types. While I enjoyed the training and being from a military family, I was cool with the methods, I realized in 2021 that better training would be more focused on competition, not defense.

I didn't find any such training, but maybe this next year.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No worries. Most of us know that. Drills being what they are are very good for practice. My caution has nothing to do with the fun and skill set measure of this drill. But imagine if you will a noob that takes his deep cover gun and equipment out to do this, which I have witnessed many times, and to help him reach the goal of mastering these times, start changing up his equipment. Things like an offset open scabbard in a quick release material and loosened screws, or file down his sear for a better yank, or tailor his loads into powder puff projectiles all things that are counter productive to street carry. Simply adding time to compensate for the same exact race equipment but with a cover garment is not indicative of real street carry. Again, I caution to not confuse the two. Each weekend, very few USPSA and IDPA shooters wear and shoot their street equipment as carried, that is IF they carry. Wagons, suitcase shooting bags, hand powder, special shooting glasses, Velcro belts, and many more aids to the shooter who wants to go fast to reach the kind of numbers that can be achieved with this drill. There is nothing wrong with this. It is a blast and can be rewarding. I love the games. However, I do not confuse my street equipment scores and ability with responsible street carry.

A lot of us have the same understanding of the benefits of competition shooting. Coach pointed out to me a lot of years back to pay attention after the match to how many competitors threw all the gear in the trunk and headed home vs those that actually gunned up for the trip home. Often times, you could count those that gunned up before leaving on one hand.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    A lot of us have the same understanding of the benefits of competition shooting. Coach pointed out to me a lot of years back to pay attention after the match to how many competitors threw all the gear in the trunk and headed home vs those that actually gunned up for the trip home. Often times, you could count those that gunned up before leaving on one hand.
    This year I plan on wearing the same gun to and from the range that I shoot the match with. I did that a few times last year when New Buffalo held what they call "carry gun" matches.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    According to this account there is no pistol low ready stage. She did very well, especially considering she shot it cold. A question I have, it looks like on her carbine she has a larger red dot mounted on the top rail and an Aimpoint Acro on an offset mount. Am I seeing this correctly? (4.34 second mark)

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I tell this story in class when discussing competition mindset vs serious gun carrier mindset....
    I was shooting a regional IDPA match (The Mountaineer Classic in Boone NC in 2015) and after the match as I was leaving another shooter who is a BIG NAME in IDPA was parked next to me. As I approached my car I popped the trunk, sat my range bag inside, unsnapped the snaps on my IWB holster and pulled it and my match gun (G34 with fiber optic sights) out of my belt and put the holster and pistol in the trunk , replaced it with a near identical setup (G34 with night sights in exact same type IWB holster) stuffed that in my belt, snapped the snaps, and pulled the FMJ loaded match mags from my mag pouch and replaced them with HP loaded carry mags.

As he stood there watching my "routine" he placed ALL of his gear in the bed of his truck and closed and locked the top. He was standing there wearing a tucked in tight fitting "sponsors shirt "and nothing on his belt so unless he had been wearing an ankle holster (during the match?) he was unarmed. He puffed on his victory cigar (I'm pretty sure he won his division) and said to me something to the effect of ..."You're one of those guys that carries a gun all the time aren't you" . I smiled and said "yep" , he nodded and I nodded and we both got in our vehicles and drove away.

Some people shoot matches as a sport just like it were golf or bowling. Some people shoot matches to hone shooting skills under pressure. Some people look at it just as a game. Some people look at it as an opportunity to test their "street" shooting skills and gear against excellent shooters.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Some people shoot matches as a sport just like it were golf or bowling. Some people shoot matches to hone shooting skills under pressure. Some people look at it just as a game. Some people look at it as an opportunity to test their "street" shooting skills and gear against excellent shooters.
    Yup, not everyone who competes will carry and that's okay by me. I don't fault someone who doesn't want to carry. Heck, I probably know more people who do carry that shouldn't be.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I like the gent's thought process and the honing of skills. Wouldn't want to take anything away from him for developing a following also.

All that said, I don't get the trend of trainers working out of battle belts with drop leg holsters and such? I guess, if you are training military, LEO or competition it sounds workable? For the average folk EDCing though?
    100%-- Imposter syndrome is very real at classes when I'm yanking mags from tacos and drawing from a safariland ALS I've never carried in public.

Safe Dynamics RDS class last year was awesome for this reason, adds a huge dose of realism when he demonstrates everything from concealment (AIWB). Granted, even that was a stretch. Doubt any of us would carry a full size handgun with a compensator and x300 AIWB, no clue how you even sit down anywhere / doubt anyone would believe the bulge is anatomically correct lol

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO anytime you are applying the fundamentals of shooting it’s productive. Everything from cowboy action to long range will help you be a better shooter.

That‘s if you don’t pick up training scars that are counter productive to real life gunfights.

BTW
    You need to witness brchixwing run a AK 47 it’s poetry in motion!

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    IMO anytime you are applying the fundamentals of shooting it’s productive. Everything from cowboy action to long range will help you be a better shooter.

That‘s if you don’t pick up training scars that are counter productive to real life gunfights.

BTW
    You need to witness brchixwing run a AK 47 it’s poetry in motion!

Absolutely agree, if you're intellectually honest, you learn from every drill / class / range day. One of my best friends told me after a deployment that playing paintball a lot when we were kids definitely helped with muscle memory in how he used cover.
    @Brad69 I hear way too many Charlie jokes (usually from @308jake ) to be an Asian that disgraces the AK! :smileak:

Top Bottom