ACC Boom Stick Challenge -- Shotgun (ONLY) match 26 JN 2021 -- Atlanta Conservation Club

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Great match yesterday! And a really nice facility too!

There were 20+ shooters and broad mix of age and experience. Also exciting was a pretty balanced mix of pump / auto guns & the autos split pretty evenly tube / box.
    Glad to see the seasoned professionals dragging the rest of us along.

Lots of practical experience was gained. Equipment, technique and mental fitness were all being tested and I think most shooters learned something. Everyone seemed to have a great time.

Some of my takeaways:
    • 4+1 is a struggle, but the same struggle for all of us. Don't miss, those rounds are precious.
      • most stages had zero or five round starting limit - but all sections of each stage required at least 5, usually 6 engagements.
    • After loading the first round into the chamber, don't cycle the action again after filling the tube :facepalm:
    • Reloading tubes 2 at a time is a huge time-saver
    • Avoid shell colors that match the ground color
    • Takes about as long as a round of golf
    • You can skip arm day next week

I realized on the drive home why I performed so poorly. I didn't have any hecklers to help improve my game, so I'll be looking forward to the next one!

Looking for a Dummkoph Squad who will shout at / pelt me with empty hulls, wood or (little) rocks. Ducks, maybe... No churches.
    Examples include (but not limited to):
    • KEEP MOVING
    • RELOAD
    • FIX IT
    • AGAIN
    • AIM WITH YOUR EYES / SHOOT WITH YOUR MIND
    • ARE THOSE BLANKS
    • ARE WE LOOKING AT THE SAME TARGET

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Very enjoyable match! Well run and very well set up!I very rarely get to run a shotgun (and it showed). My take always:

1. Love the reactive steel targets. Way more fun than punching paper and they were set up extremely well for ease of reset. Well planned by the stage designers.

2. Take the opportunity to see how fast (or slow) different ways of loading can be done. Nothing like the clock pressure to test your theories and watch others. That includes how to carry extra shells.

3. Great equipment test! Doesn't matter what you paid for the gun or the brand you need to run it under stress to see if it works and if it works for you. Interestingly on my squad the three most bombproof guns were all decades old designs of wood and steel.

4. If you include a shotgun in your home/self defense plan I think a match like this is a must with the gun in your plan, not a fancy 3 gun shotgun you would never try to use in a home. Not bashing those shotguns, running them at matches looks like a ball but those 10 round tubes dang sure wouldn't clear corners in my house LOL. Certainly not a replacement for good training but a real eye opener.

Suggested enhancements:
    1. add a few flipper targets to throw some clays, can or charcole brickts up.

2. A 20-50 yard slug or two would good experience and variety.

Hope to see more matches like this.
    Thank you very much to those who planned and managed this match!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    20g should work just fine, there were a couple of 'em last time if I recall.

I think most of us realized that choke/target range (IE: pattern spread) was the biggest factor after shot placement, reliability & reloading speed. At least those of us with 18.5" Improved Cylinder bores anyway.

G7.

SteelShooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    WYOMING; SOMEDAY...
    Nipprdog -- I will check with the MD's to be sure, but I'd say a 20ga will be OK. 2 things :: It will be a disadvantage on stuff like poppers and The Swinger. But a slight advantage in recoil recovery time.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Cool match. Somewhat low turnout. Round count was higher than previous posts indicated, closer to 80 or 85. One stage alone was 30+ rounds.

I loaded from a cheapo bandolier. It was okay. I'd say it was for sure faster than a dump pouch, with a lower distance for the hand to travel and all rounds coming off in a uniform orientation. Downside is pinching your shirt trying to pull shells out.

30+ round stage with a pump is hard work. Lots of the targets were 4" square poppers, too, which were more challenging to neutralize at close range than you might think.

The 500 ran fine, except the teeny tiny set screw for front sight windage came loose (way too wimpy a screw for anything on a shotgun, IMO) and the clamp-style light mount migrated forward.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Even though the feel is a little 3-gun-y with the semi auto guys with 4 foot long shotguns mowing everything down, this match was a pretty sweet training opportunity for running a pump gun. This match was a year's worth of pump shooting by my previous frequency of actually hauling that gun to the range. It's a reality check for what it takes to get a pump back in action after you've shot it dry.

Saw a few examples of guys being in single shot mode by the end of the stage.

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    When are these matches? Havent seen anything specific in terms of announcements as the when they are taking place. May have missed it, but would appreciate a published notice a week or two before a match. Am interested in going.

SlowPlay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Lafayette
    Really enjoyed the match! I wanted a workout with a pump gun and I got it a couple of times over. Very good learning exercise, and that is what I wanted. Thanks for the match & thanks to Tom my R.O.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    this match was a pretty sweet training opportunity for running a pump gun. This match was a year's worth of pump shooting by my previous frequency of actually hauling that gun to the range. It's a reality check for what it takes to get a pump back in action after you've shot it dry.

I was planning on going, till my back acted up on friday. even made my second range trip on thursday to practice reloading. got pretty decent at it. rearranged the shells in a box to all face same direction. grabbed 2 at a time from belt pouch to cut down and hand movement. I was grabbing them side by side.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Practiscore where we registered
    "Club" link: https://practiscore.com/clubs/acc_boom_stick_challenge

Direct to this event's results:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Practiscore where we registered
    "Club" link: https://practiscore.com/clubs/acc_boom_stick_challenge

Direct to this event's results:
    Ah, thank you

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    NEW Takeaways
    • Mid-chest and firearm mounted shell holders are where it's at :thatshot:
      • Bonus points if you can grab 2 at a time
    • When you need more than one box on any given stage, bring Snickers for your squad :popcorn:
    • Strong magnets on sticks will save your knees :fogey:
    • Brass is the ass - don't load shells backwards
      • If you must, be sure it's the the first round loaded so you're only -1 capacity, and be ready to disassemble your firearm :whistle:
      • Corollary: don't fire/shuck the 2nd to last round before reloading or both tubes will be blocked :facepalm:
    • Low recoil rounds are probably just fine for a pump gun against most targets :stretcher:
      • Bring a few full power for heavier targets, just in case

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Did anyone use a double barrel shotgun?
    Man, it would have been tough. Maybe if you've got gear that presents the shells in pairs for cowboy action-style loading, and a shotgun with ejectors. I don't know if there was a par out time on the stages.

Top Bottom