post-done.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My official AAR:

1. Shooting NFA stuff is awesome, even more so when done with great people.

2. INGO is great people.

3. It's always "shooting weather".

4. Dave has mad skills with the Green Egg.

5. I'm too old and/or fat to be falling down hills (body feels like i was in a car wreck).

Big thanks again for everyone who makes these events possible, especially the Rice family for welcoming us into their little slice of heaven each year!

Last edited:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Thanks for letting me come and play, I had a great time. The food was great, I loved the peanut butter brownies.

LMW thnks again.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    My official AAR:

1. Shooting NFA stuff is awesome, even more so when done with great people.

2. INGO is great people.

3. It's always "shooting weather".

4. Dave has mad skills with the Green Egg.

5. I'm too old and/or fat to be falling down hills (body feels like i was in a car wreck).

Big thanks again for everyone who makes these events possible, especially the Rice family for welcoming us into their little slice of heaven each year!

Sorry to hear you're a bit sore. I fell backwards on the same hill a few weeks ago and probably looked like a turtle rolling around.

Loved your "Reason for Edit" comment in your recent post. I laughed out loud! Rep sent.

Last edited by chezuki; 37 Minutes Ago at 20:55. Reason: Lol, phone autocorrected "heaven" to "beaver", Awkward...

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Split Case Mystery

I was sorting some of the brass from Veterans Day and came across this:

10fqjo7.jpg

The case is a steel Wolf .223 case. Not only is it split, but it has deformed by expanding. My first guess is that someone accidentally shot a .223 round in a larger chamber, like a 7.62x39 (if that is even possible). Notice that the area above the shoulder is very long, much longer than a standard .223.

As a reloader and shooter, I was curious what happened. I didn't remember anyone mentioning a problem however, I wasn't at the range all afternoon. Does anyone know about this case and how it happened? How did the firearm react?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was sorting some of the brass from Veterans Day and came across this:

10fqjo7.jpg

The case is a steel Wolf .223 case. Not only is it split, but it has deformed by expanding. My first guess is that someone accidentally shot a .223 round in a larger chamber, like a 7.62x39 (if that is even possible). Notice that the area above the shoulder is very long, much longer than a standard .223.

As a reloader and shooter, I was curious what happened. I didn't remember anyone mentioning a problem however, I wasn't at the range all afternoon. Does anyone know about this case and how it happened? How did the firearm react?

I would say you are on the right track considering the way the case looks. I just wonder how the firearm managed to fire and eject the cartridge? Not being that familiar with all the different calibers that can be adapted to the AR platform, I would still venture a guess that it was an AR configuration since many can use the same Magazine it could easily have wandered in accidentally. Hope no damage was done to the gun and glad there was no injury.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I bet that's what busted the firing pin in Uzi Buttons 7.62x39 upper.

Makes me wonder if that theory is correct.

The primer has a deep firing pin hit. The firing pin even drove a very small amount of metal above the original surface of the primer.

I just now took some quick measurements of the case.

The case throat is 0.339".
    A .223 round should be 0.253".
    A 7.62x39 round has a throat dimension of 0.335". The chamber would be a few thousandths larger.

The distance from the base of the case to the beginning of the straight-wall portion of the case mouth for the split case is 1.287".
    A .223 round should be 1.557".
    A 7.62x39 round has a dimension of about 1.368"

Looking at these dimensions, I think it's likely this round was fired in a 7.62x39 chamber.

I know we're getting off-track from the original AAR. The split case isn't a big issue, but it is interesting to some folks (the OCD/reloading/problem solving type...:)). I don't want people to think I'm looking to lay blame on anyone. I've answered my main question; what chamber it was fired in.

If we want to talk lots more about it, we can create a new thread.

Last edited:

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Makes me wonder if that theory is correct.

I Dont know.. I was the guy whom was trying to enjoy that upper when we discovered that the firing pin was broken... I don't remember if I was ever able to send any lead down range, but I do know with 100% certainty that I only had brass 5.56 so I couldn't have loaded a steel cased 5.56 into the mag. Obviously I can't speak for the guy who shot it before me... but I do think I was able to send a round or two down range before TheUziButton showed me the second fastest was to unload a magazine ;)

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    The primer has a deep firing pin hit. The firing pin even drove a very small amount of metal above the original surface of the primer.

I just now took some quick measurements of the case.

The case throat is 0.339".
    A .223 round should be 0.253".
    A 7.62x39 round has a throat dimension of 0.335". The chamber would be a few thousandths larger.

The distance from the base of the case to the beginning of the straight-wall portion of the case mouth for the split case is 1.287".
    A .223 round should be 1.557".
    A 7.62x39 round has a dimension of about 1.368"

Looking at these dimensions, I think it's likely this round was fired in a 7.62x39 chamber.

I know we're getting off-track from the original AAR. The split case isn't a big issue, but it is interesting to some folks. If we want to talk lots more about it, we can create a new thread.

I will have to give the bore and chamber a closer inspection tomorrow. Regardless of the outcome of the inspection, I will be ordering and turning down a few more barrels. Three new firing pins are currently on their way.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Uzi............after you forced me to look thru your NOD's, I now truly hate you.

You are going to cause me to sell a kidney!

Top Bottom