• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Redtbird - yes, you can go watch, but be prepared to be pressured to shoot. We love shooters.

Top Hat 45 - Don't thinking of it in terms of whether or not you can compete. Its not a competition with anyone but yourself. I don't compete with the 25 year old me. I compete with the 34 year old me (he sucks, I totally own him). Just have fun and learn and listen and spend a good day with Americans.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    I think you would be happy w/ the modified appleseed... Knowing you I highly doubt you would enjoy the sling lessons that they teach... HOWEVER I know how accepting and adaptive appleseed can be and I know for a fact that if you want to attend the next one at allens that between allen and I we can come up with a way to make it VERY enjoyable for you.

sounds like a plan to me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Question about Appleseed: I have read some info on these, and heard some people talking about them. Not sure if I'm ready or not, but my question is: Can one go and watch the event in order to get an idea of what's going on? This I'd like to do before signing up for one.

Thanks for the info!

If you come watch id give 10-1 odds you will end up shooting. Its really a no pressure event for most people (I do have the slightest competive streak so I always put pressure on myself but no one else does)

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Question about Appleseed: I have read some info on these, and heard some people talking about them. Not sure if I'm ready or not, but my question is: Can one go and watch the event in order to get an idea of what's going on? This I'd like to do before signing up for one.

Thanks for the info!

There is really only one requirement one should have to be ready for an Appleseed event. That is a teachable attitude. No other skills are necessary. We have had people who have never touched a firearm come and learn. They range in age from 6-70 years old. Even if one's attitude isn't teachable at the beginning its not unusual for that to change through the weekend.

I encourage people to just go. No one regrets going.:patriot:

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    alan, great write up. i've been thinking about doing an appleseed, but from what i've heard and am afraid of, is i cant get into the sling positions anymore. from 1969-1971 i used a sling more than i like to remember. but cant get the old body that flexible anymore. and my body shakes like crazy for any kind of offhand.

can a person compete with those kind of handicaps?

top hat,

I'm sure you didn't really mean "compete" but I will go after that word anyway. It's not about a competition with anybody. Maybe yourself but certainly not anybody else unless you want it to be.

Appleseed preaches discomfort is OK to muscle through, pain is not. We will help the shooters modify a position so that it is as pain-free as we can make it while still being effective. There are some transitions that we work on too. From standing to sitting and standing to prone. Appleseed policy is that if the shooter doesn't feel comfortable doing these, whether it's from a bad back, knee replacement or just having trouble keeping the muzzle in a safe direction, the shooter doesn't have to do the transition.

I've seen a photo of a "super-annuated" woman on the line sitting in a lawn chair while everybody else is in prone. Perfect! She's there participating, sending aimed shots downrange. Later, she's going to hear the history.

To sum it up: Show up! Come do a shoot with us and see what we can do together. And, most importantly, hear the real story of how this country got its start.

C ya,

brian
    Appleseed IIT3

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Congrats on Rifleman Alan! Sounds like you enjoyed the experience (as all the rest of us have).

NPOA is definitely the key to Appleseed Rifleman! (and lots of the techniques seem to have improved my bipod shooting as well... particularly finding a natural respiratory pause)

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

Thanks for the info!

I'm sure you can watch if you want... but my recommendation is to just sign up and shoot.

I recently took a young girl who had never held a gun before and she did just fine!

Top Bottom