• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    This was my umpteenth time doing this class, and I’ve learned every time. The evolution of the regulars’ gear has always been interesting, especially since a lot of the same conclusions are reached.

I’ve accepted as of last night I may be done with iron sights. There were times when I could not see the front sight without way too many seconds wasted maneuvering the light, or maybe not even then. I’ve said for at least three years that a red (or green) dot was going to be a necessity soon and that time may be here. And not just for low/no light.

Using a revolver at night is a *****. I had to try it one more time after flailing last year. I was only slightly better this time. It’s fun, in a way, but it’s also far from a good choice let alone the best one.

It was good seeing the Rhino again after a long dry spell.

Once again the night was a great exchange of thoughts, ideas, and bodily fluids. I think all left satisfied.

Looking forward to next year.

EDIT: You know what we haven’t done? Shotguns. Just sayin’.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've been out of shooting and training for about 4 years and it really showed. I need to brush up on my one-handed shooting pretty hard.

However, my take-aways were:
    • Bandanas :thumbsup: (Great food and good conversation before training)
    • I still don't like handheld lights, and prefer my pistol mounted light. But should keep the handheld light in my kit for a backup.
    • Rhino has all the cool toys, and successfully started a fire!
    • Everyone stayed safe and didn't get into a hurry
    • Lots of great discussion
    • Got to observe Starlink flying overhead, which was both scary and cool at the same time

Great night overall, great to see some familiar faces still as long as some new ones.

Last edited:

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Was my first year joining low light, had a great time! I learned a lot not just from obijohn but from the class. Was very interesting hearing the different philosophies on identifying targets & running a light weak hand vs. WML, and then putting it all in action on the range.

My takeaways:
    - Appreciated the wisdom & experience of the group, Bandana's is A+, Propane heaters are A+, Starlink was very cool
    - Always have a light (or a half dozen+ per Rhino), plan to setup a lanyard on my EDC the width of my palm accordingly
    - Personally, I shoot faster with a WML but would personally rather use a light in my left hand indexed on my temple
    - Training wise, I need to shoot more in the dark & I got sloppy with use of cover when reloading / clearing malfunctions

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    This was not not my first night class, but it was my first with ACT. I saw some old friends and some new ones.

Takeaways-

- I can see and hit targets just fine in low light, but my manipulations are strongly visual. I thought reloading and running the slide were muscle memory by now, but apparently not.

- My EDC light is nearly useless in a defensive situation. Just fine for reading or navigation, but it’s like 300 lumens compared to my 1000 lumen WML.

- Always interesting to see other’s gear and hear their philosophies.

- Even in tough times like these, every shot counted and the class had a high value.

I look forward to the next one. My only complaint is it’s way down there with the raccoons and the hoot owls!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Ugh I really need to pay attention to when this is

Lol. At least he got the fire started. A few years ago, it took him until the end of the night

This class is the best...especially when you get 3 or 4" of snow

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I've been out of shooting and training for about 4 years and it really showed. I need to brush up on my one-handed shooting pretty hard.

However, my take-aways were:
    • Bandanas :thumbsup: (Great food and good conversation before training)
    • I still don't like handheld lights, and prefer my pistol mounted light. But should keep the handheld light in my kit for a backup.
    • Rhino has all the cool toys, and successfully started a fire!
    • Everyone stayed safe and didn't get into a hurry
    • Lots of great discussion
    • Got to observe Starlink flying overhead, which was both scary and cool at the same time

Great night overall, great to see some familiar faces still as long as some new ones.

Seeing Starlink was really neat, but I’m bummed it wasn’t aliens

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    One improvement has been made since Saturday night. Since gear comes before skill, I now have a Sig P320 with one of those dot sight thingies. A visible sight, wow.
    It didn’t come with a Sig thong, but there is a sticker. I’ll use that next year.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    One improvement has been made since Saturday night. Since gear comes before skill, I now have a Sig P320 with one of those dot sight thingies. A visible sight, wow.
    It didn’t come with a Sig thong, but there is a sticker. I’ll use that next year.
    :rockwoot:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    IMO, It was a great to train with some of the “who’s who” of INGO again.

1. The class is a great value both training and monetarily.

2. When was the last time you really ran your gear at night?

3. Great class discussion.

4. Rino used a knife without cutting himself.

5. John, Granger, Rino conducted a safe environment at night not a single thong had be used as a tourniquet.

6. Nigel only attempted to spoon with me once that was when the starlink flew over and he was frightened.

Overall a great experience the I will use to refine my gear and training. Great to see my friends again. I didn’t wear my ass less chaps in order to keep everyone focused on the class and not my assets.

Good to see Barry jump in to a modern pistol!

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    4. Rino used a knife without cutting himself.

Thats right! He did make it through, didn’t he?
    I guess he did. He’s not still out there, is he? Blood loss leaving him bleached as white as the gravel he’s lying on.

Rhino’s firemaking obsession again captivated us all. You just have to stop and look whenever you walk by. I don’t know if it’s the driving-by-an-accident effect, or marveling at his concentration while surrounded by verbal abuse, a desire to be present when “it happened” (whatever “it” may be this time), or true appreciation of the craft and skill displayed, but you have to look.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Great class, great camaraderie, just an all around good time.
    I really appreciated the one on one attention and instruction given to help solve some basic problems.
    After being challenged on it I learned the temple index (as long as it doesn't glare off your optic) is far superior to weak hand holding light supporting wrist, and weapon mounted light is most effective.
    Ran the figure eight drill earlier this week and learned that the multiples of colored steel add to the mental game.
    Shooting at night brings many new dynamics into play and if you're not prepared could really throw you for a loop.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    What type of sights were you using? How did they do?

I learned a lot about sights when taking a low light class a few years ago.

Confirmed some things I knew and learned some things I knew were wrong.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Not sure if you’re addressing me specifically and my glare comment, or the general class, but I was using a Sig P320 with their Romeo 1 Pro, with fairly dirty glass which didn’t help but is probably reality.
    There was quite a mix of dots and irons in the class.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

I have Trijicon HD nights sights (with the large orange circle on the front) with a Weapon mounted light. And it works very well for me. I still practiced with a handheld light just for fun, but the last half of the class I used my weapon mounted light and did MUCH better. I do like that combination the best.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have Trijicon HD nights sights (with the large orange circle on the front) with a Weapon mounted light. And it works very well for me. I still practiced with a handheld light just for fun, but the last half of the class I used my weapon mounted light and did MUCH better. I do like that combination the best.

Throw in a reflex sight and it’s like cheating when it comes to shooting at night.

Top Bottom