• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I have never used a suppressor, but have fired service rifle competition for years.
    An acquaintance asked me if it is normal for a 6.5 creedmoor to experience much greater bullet drop suppressed than unsuppressed.
    I don't know the answer so I am asking INGO....

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    To actually answer your question, will a can cause more bullet drop, the answer is no. Will it have a different POI? Probably so. Suppressors generally raise velocity a small amount, so bullet drop will usually be a tiny bit less.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    To actually answer your question, will a can cause more bullet drop, the answer is no. Will it have a different POI? Probably so. Suppressors generally raise velocity a small amount, so bullet drop will usually be a tiny bit less.
    This, particularly if it uses a quick attach muzzle device. Seems less frequent with direct thread and pistons. Even then it should be a relatively small amount, an inch or maybe two at 100 y

sloppyjoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2019
    Brownsburg
    If you are having large POI shifts, you are probably experiencing alignment issues. I had one QD adapter that was causing 12" shifts at 100 yards. Sent it back for a warranty replacement and everything is good now. The hard part is figuring out the source. It could be the barrel, the silencer, or the mount. Unless you have a lathe, you will probably have to run a DOE mixing and matching guns, mounts, and silencers to track down the root cause.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    Passed on the comments to my acquaintance and he says the drop is 2-4 inches at 200 yards. This is right in the area of 1-2 moa mentioned as normal. The suppressor is solid, with no wiggle or misalignment. Apparently my acquaintance has little experience with suppressors....
    Thanks for the help!

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    MOST of the time, any suppressor will impart a POI shift.
    The, main reason for this, is the extra weight added to the end of the barrel.
    Now, depending on the barrel profile, thin , bull, etc, the shift will differ, with the thicker barrel being less, and maybe being nil, and the lighter barrel being more.
    But, in most cases, there will be a shift with, and without a can.
    Since I shoot primarily with a can on, I zero with the can and if then test and adapt if I shoot without the can.

Top Bottom