A seller never responds to request for info, etc.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So what should I make of a seller that doesn't have a thread locked or have it marked Sold/SPF in the title or listing, but never replies to questions or a "hey, I am interested and when and where can we meet?" I even provided my business number for text/calls in my messages. It is a long standing member of INGO and has high ratings too. Should I assume there is a personal issue and they can't respond in a couple weeks time frame and just move on? Listing has been active for 3+ weeks with a couple bumps too. This is reminiscent of treatment on the "sight that must not be named" instead of INGO.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Check to see if the member has posted recently. Has he bumped or posted on the forum since you made your inquiry? If not, it's possible he is ill or just unable to reply. That's the "giving the benefit of the doubt" answer. The other possibility is your low post count, despite the fact that you have been here for four years and even have positive feedback. Some members are just very choosy about who they deal with.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep, only the required 50 posts to get into the classifieds may be the issue.

If that was the issue I had I would personally let you know that in a response though.
    Well that and site supporter. But yeah, a response would be reasonable. But as Snap said, check and see if the seller has been online/active since you made contact.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. Some members here will not respond to a 50 and in member.
    Joined 2017 and 51 posts but pages of classifieds activity. Just a guess here but this might be the issue.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Besides checking when the user has been online by clicking on their avatar and seeing if the last seen info is available or clicking on messages after you get the pop up, you can view the conversation you started and scroll down to the bottom of the page. You can see when/if the user viewed the conversation.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Another vote for not willing to deal with a low post count user/classified lurker.

Granted its a bit rude to not even respond with a "no thank you, I'm not interested in doing business with an unknown" but some here (including me) will think twice about dealing with someone who is only here for the classies.

Part of the allure of doing business here is being able to know who you are dealing with. Watching their posts, getting a feel for what kind of person they are, and doing business with someone you have a feel for. Hell, I've cross shipped* stuff with certain buyers here because I have interacted with them over several years, and know they are good on their word.

(*shipping product at the same time they send a money order knowing they are trustworthy. Hell, I even shipped blindly once to let them inspect before sending payment because of their reputation here)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I usually put a note in the listing that "if you have a low post count and/or I don't know you, I may not sell to you" or something like that.

I would still respond if someone was contacting me though.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yep, only the required 50 posts to get into the classifieds may be the issue.

If that was the issue I had I would personally let you know that in a response though.
    I get that but I am also a paid member so that rating is basically creating a discrimination thing. If that's the way sellers want to think of it then I probably need to forget about classifieds on this forum and only the other forum aspects.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OK. Some members here will not respond to a 50 and in member.
    Joined 2017 and 51 posts but pages of classifieds activity. Just a guess here but this might be the issue.
    As I've commented elsewhere, that is just about stupid...I don't really have a lot to say on the forums but I read and have read them for years and only recently started to sell...even paid the membership too and have made a couple purchases as well. I guess this just forces people to stay on the other site instead.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Check to see if the member has posted recently. Has he bumped or posted on the forum since you made your inquiry? If not, it's possible he is ill or just unable to reply. That's the "giving the benefit of the doubt" answer. The other possibility is your low post count, despite the fact that you have been here for four years and even have positive feedback. Some members are just very choosy about who they deal with.
    I'm not even sure how to look at someones posts, as I can barely figure out where I've done things on this site, lol. I'll look though. But that's why I asked for opinion too.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So I'm curious, OP @SpyderByte , if you ever got a response or if you ever determined whether the member was still posting after you inquired.
    No, but I'm still trying to figure out how to find out if they've posted...for me this sight is a bit of a pain to maneuver. I can't even figure out how to do a search and make it work - been on here for a few years and do a lot of looking/reading but only the last year have I done much in posting and have made many errors with that too.

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I usually put a note in the listing that "if you have a low post count and/or I don't know you, I may not sell to you" or something like that.

I would still respond if someone was contacting me though.
    He had a note that he'd only sell to the RIGHT person, but no explanation...and I definitely expect a response.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not even sure how to look at someones posts, as I can barely figure out where I've done things on this site, lol. I'll look though. But that's why I asked for opinion too.
    If you click on their username (like I just did yours), you'll see "Messages" in the lower left of the pop up window. If you click on the number underneath that, it will show you their posting activity - when and where they've posted.

1634298938310.png

SpyderByte

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you click on their username (like I just did yours), you'll see "Messages" in the lower left of the pop up window. If you click on the number underneath that, it will show you their posting activity - when and where they've posted.

View attachment 163270
    He did a single post after my first request for info (which included my name and phone number which is my business # too) but not since my second attempt. That has been about 2 weeks or so. Will have to conclude that they've had an issue.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom