• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hamiltonrrwatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2021
    N.W. IN
    Methinks out of curiosity, my wife recently accompanied me to a Basic Handgun/Victim Avoidance Class taught by NRA Certified Instructors. When the classroom portion was over, we walked down to the range. It's the first time she'd ever fired any type of weapon, and for someone who battles PTSD daily, this was a watershed moment. When she fired that pistol, she looked her fear in the eye & won. Our instructor started her with a Browning Buck Mark, then moved into a Ruger Mark IV. Before the session was over, she was shooting some impressive groupings and hitting steel. The smile on her face was something I won't soon forget, and I can't tell you how proud I was of her, and she of herself!

Can anyone give recommendations to her for an EDC? The Browning was great, but a little long-in-the-barrel for EDC; likewise the Ruger. I have limited knowledge of this caliber, and she is, for now, more comfortable with a .22 LR for recoil and accuracy.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    First, welcome to INGO and congrats on starting your wife involved in shooting.

Recommendations can be hard to give without more information. For what it’s worth, I’ve taken many first time shooters out to the range and after trying a bunch of different guns, just about all of them come away liking the CZ P07 the best.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    For a .22 RF pistol, there are lots of choices. Not so many for revolvers, but for semi's, Browning, Smith, and Ruger are by far the most common, and have the most option. Ruger offers a lot of choices, with many barrels length. So do the Brownings, but with a high cost. We use a lot of them for classes. Find someone with several that she can try. She will find her favorite.

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Just noticed you're NWI. If you're in no rush I could let you guys try out a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite and the S&W M&P 22 compact at some point. Work has been crazy
    For a .22 RF pistol, there are lots of choices. Not so many for revolvers, but for semi's, Browning, Smith, and Ruger are by far the most common, and have the most option. Ruger offers a lot of choices, with many barrels length. So do the Brownings, but with a high cost. We use a lot of them for classes. Find someone with several that she can try. She will find her favorite.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It sounds like your wife made great progress - kudos to you for helping her out.

But the step your proposing - every day carry - is a really big one; especially after just one day at the range. An EDC is a powerful tool, and if you don't have the training and are prepare, it can be a dangerous one to yourself.

My advice would be to take this step slowly; and .22LR is a really poor self-defense option.

PS - I presume she already has her LTCH.

hamiltonrrwatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2021
    N.W. IN
    Just noticed you're NWI. If you're in no rush I could let you guys try out a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite and the S&W M&P 22 compact at some point. Work has been crazy
    Thank you for your kind offer! Old people are never in a rush; unless it's "AYCE". Since that's gone south, things have been slow:coffee:

hamiltonrrwatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2021
    N.W. IN
    I should mention that the P07 is a 9mm that has an available.22lr kit for it. That might be a nice way for her to work up to a larger caliber while not getting too far outside of her comfort zone
    Thanks much! I have a lead on one, with the conversion kit, in Central IN. We'll be going for a look & shoot shortly.

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    Methinks out of curiosity, my wife recently accompanied me to a Basic Handgun/Victim Avoidance Class taught by NRA Certified Instructors. When the classroom portion was over, we walked down to the range. It's the first time she'd ever fired any type of weapon, and for someone who battles PTSD daily, this was a watershed moment. When she fired that pistol, she looked her fear in the eye & won. Our instructor started her with a Browning Buck Mark, then moved into a Ruger Mark IV. Before the session was over, she was shooting some impressive groupings and hitting steel. The smile on her face was something I won't soon forget, and I can't tell you how proud I was of her, and she of herself!

Can anyone give recommendations to her for an EDC? The Browning was great, but a little long-in-the-barrel for EDC; likewise the Ruger. I have limited knowledge of this caliber, and she is, for now, more comfortable with a .22 LR for recoil and accuracy.

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    The only experience I have with 22lr is a Ruger LCP II I just purchased. Waaay easy to hold/carry. Well built. Have not fired it yet but I have watched at least 50 videos on YouTube that for the most part love it. I’m sure there are others here who have a lot of experience with other 22’s that will help.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    My wife has a S&W Bodyguard .38 revolver for EDC. She tried out many different handguns before she picked that one.

When we go to the range, she always starts out shooting our S&W 22A semi-auto 22 pistol. She likes to shoot golf balls and pop cans first. This makes the range session fun and helps her focus on her technique.

Then she gets out the revolver and practices defensive shooting. We do this a couple of times a year.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would go with the Glock 44. It's the 22LR version of the real 9mm G19 self-defense gun she would move into carrying. Holsters, mag carriers and such will swap between these two.

Johwar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2020
    Elwood
    I would go with the Glock 44. It's the 22LR version of the real 9mm G19 self-defense gun she would move into carrying. Holsters, mag carriers and such will swap between these two.

I really wrestled with a choice of 22’s. I loved the idea of the G44 as I am a Glock fanboy. But I came To realize that the G44 did not meet the reason for me considering 22. I was looking for a summer, lightweight carry in my shorts/sweats. A mouse was the only gun that met what was my needs. The Ruger LCP II 22LR checked all the boxes.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I think the trick to most spouses learning to shoot, choosing a gun, and learning self defense tactics; is to find good instructers and let them earn their keep. I would suggest a female only class next.

I got lucky in that my wife was already a shooter when we met. My wife will only purchase a gun if it is pretty. Want a kick in the shin? Try and hand her a pink gun. I'm sure she has more pretty pistols than I have pistols. Her down fall is keeping enough ammo for each one. She came to me last month and asked if I thought she should buy some extra ammo. I told her she was a day late and talked about the ammo situation. I then let her know where I had put a thousand rounds for her.

Top Bottom