• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ken_P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2022
    Anderson, IN
    Took the pup out pheasant hunting earlier this week. The weather was nice and I wasn't in much of a hurry. His first point ended up being a covey of quail, it's been years since I've kicked up quail - I was so happy to see them, I decided not to shoot. A bit later we were working some high grass and he went on point, kicked up a rooster, I shot and the rooster fell into some shorter grass across the path - immediately there was a startled cluck and another rooster came flying up. He retrieved the farthest and I picked up the other one, that's the first time that I've ever flushed a bird with another bird! :):. The dog seemed really confused as to why we were leaving (limit is 2 per day, for those that don't hunt pheasant).

chance point 2.jpg

Ken_P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2022
    Anderson, IN
    Like a day in Heaven!

Covey of quail will establish their place if left to do it...well done, Sir.

Trying to tell from the pic... pup a Brittany?

How old?
    Yes, sir, he's a Brittany. All that white makes him easy to follow in field (my first Brittany was mostly orange), he just turned 6 - the last 2 years, he's really settled down become a great hunting companion.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Yes, sir, he's a Brittany. All that white makes him easy to follow in field (my first Brittany was mostly orange), he just turned 6 - the last 2 years, he's really settled down become a great hunting companion.
    Good stuff right there!

There is nothing like bird dogs doing their stuff in the field.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    im from Muncie originally - you found quail near Anderson? that's great. my friends say they're even seeing turkeys in some places now. hopefully we see grouse come back as well. I recently acquired 13 acres in Owen county and will do everything I can for upland habitat. Wish I had 130 acres though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I grew up around Brittanys and field trials. Some of my earliest memories are of spending weekends as a toddler, riding horses essentially on my Dad's lap following the dogs. Taking naps in the pens with the pups.

We had five of them over the years until I went off to college. Sadly I've really gotten away from the breed and bird dogging since then. I miss it, and the dogs.

I have a beagle mutt now. She loves to work a field but doesn't really know what she's doing outside of her natural instincts. She's much more into rabbits though. Doesn't give birds a second look.

IMG_20220122_120116.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom