• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Our family had a 73 Pontiac Catalina Safari. There were 6 of us back then. Quite the car…
    We had a 70 or 71 Pontiac wagon, white with wood-grain sides, and (I think) a 455. Our neighbor called it "The Queen Mary"

Way back in the day, we'd go to the drive-in, park in the back, and dad would put a twin bed mattress on the roof of our '67 pontiac station wagon, and us kids would lay up there and watch the movie. I still remember watching Herby The Love Bug when it first came out. Good Times.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Growing up, I think we only had 1 wagon- 1978 Chevy Malibu with the vinyl wood sides.

I currently own a wagon, a Saturn SW2 that my daughter has at college and all my kids have driven since I bought it when my oldest son turned 16 in 2013.

Wagons are very practical, but with 4 kids, the minivan was our pick to click over the years. Owned 3 of them, one after another.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We had a Country Squire (with the fake wood paneling on the sides) and then a Country Sedan (which became my car when I went to college). I drove the Country Sedan for a few years. It got so rusted out that once when driving it out into the country on dirt roads to a party up near Lafayette, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw what appeared to be a dust storm inside the car moving up from the rear of the car. When we got to the party location, my buddy and I were covered in dust. :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Growing up, I think we only had 1 wagon- 1978 Chevy Malibu with the vinyl wood sides.

I currently own a wagon, a Saturn SW2 that my daughter has at college and all my kids have driven since I bought it when my oldest son turned 16 in 2013.

Wagons are very practical, but with 4 kids, the minivan was our pick to click over the years. Owned 3 of them, one after another.
    Our Malibu wagon was a '79 with woodgrain sides. It was a dark metallic blue and the woodgrain looked pretty rough. So I peeled it off unaware that they were a little shy of paint under the woodgrain. It still looked better, but not much.

But I pulled the V6 and dropped in a fresh 350 I took out of a '70 Chevelle and rebuilt. It was a sleeper wagon after that.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Had my parents still owned their '69 Catalina wagon when I got my license, parallel parking would have been near the bottom of the list of things I woulda/coulda/shoulda nailed.
    Not a wagon, but I took my driver's license test in a 1966 Pontiac Catalina.
    Talk about a boat!
    I did nail the parallel parking in that thing, but I had received a lot of practice by the time I took the test.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Ohio did away with the parallel parking test the year before I got my license. They replaced it with an easier test that required you to back the car between two rows of parallel cones. I don't know that I could have passed the parallel park test in the big Dodge wagon at that point in my driving career.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My mom always had a wagon. There was something different about each one. First one I remember is maybe a fairlane, white, red interior. I think it had 2 side seats facing each other. Had another that also had a table. Others had front facing seat, rear facing seat, disappearing door, little step up windows on the roof.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Ohio did away with the parallel parking test the year before I got my license. They replaced it with an easier test that required you to back the car between two rows of parallel cones. I don't know that I could have passed the parallel park test in the big Dodge wagon at that point in my driving career.
    I took my test in that real long Chrysler with the 3rd window, and had to parallel park. I think it was a Chrysler. It had the huge 3rd window like the Cadillac Fleetwood had.
    Edit: 1975 Buick Electra 4 door

Last edited:

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Does a Chevette hatchback count as a station wagon? :lmfao: That was our family car until I was around 12, then we got an Astro van.

I remember my aunt had a station wagon that the back door opened to the side, or opened down like a pick-up tailgate. That was cool.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I had 3 wagons, I really miss them all
    53 DeSoto, beast of a car, 331 hemi, 9 of you buddies in the car and you still had room for a cooler
    57 Pontiac hearse , kinda a rare car a 5 door coach, 1 road side door for the driver, 3 doors curb side, rear door, casket went behind the driver. Red mohair upholstery, 78 rpm record player
    73 Plymouth satellite, road runner hood , dash, seats,steering column, floor shifter, 15 inch cop car wheels , 440 engine (mildly warmed up)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I am hoping to find one of these for a project/cruiser with the lt1
    I'd like one myself. IIRC the LT1 was in the 94 and 95 years only. They were also 2 bolt mains in the roadmaster and the caprice vs 4 bolt in the camaro and corvette.

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    VW Jetta wagon here. It’s great for us. I believe a wagon is better then an SUV in most cases, and usually has more cargo room—today people just buy SUVs because they’re plentiful and everyone else has one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    VW Jetta wagon here. It’s great for us. I believe a wagon is better then an SUV in most cases, and usually has more cargo room—today people just buy SUVs because they’re plentiful and everyone else has one.
    And a much better field of vision. I hear that a lot as a driver of the decision to get an SUV over a car…

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I also drive a Jetta Sport Wagon. Great car, mine is the TDI model with the DSG tranny.

Top Bottom