• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Like many, my list of projects grows larger and larger and all of my currenet projects are in various states of completion.

This one I think will be my favorite for a very long time.

20220922_140859.jpg
    Missing the seat and bottom chain guard and almost every bolt that should be holding it together.

I will most likey make the bottom chain guard out of metal I have left over from various ductwork jobs and I plan on stripping down whats left of the paint and giving it a coat or 2 of jd green or as close as I can find off the shelf. New wheels all around and lastly try to find a trailer for it but thats the last thing todo.

Not trying to restore this but rather make it functional and fun for whomever to play on.

Right now I have $144 in the tractor as is & $8.99 in shipping.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Like many, my list of projects grows larger and larger and all of my currenet projects are in various states of completion.

This one I think will be my favorite for a very long time.

View attachment 225868
    Missing the seat and bottom chain guard and almost every bolt that should be holding it together.

I will most likey make the bottom chain guard out of metal I have left over from various ductwork jobs and I plan on stripping down whats left of the paint and giving it a coat or 2 of jd green or as close as I can find off the shelf. New wheels all around and lastly try to find a trailer for it but thats the last thing todo.

Not trying to restore this but rather make it functional and fun for whomever to play on.

Right now I have $144 in the tractor as is & $8.99 in shipping.
    How old is it? 70’s?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Sometime you need to go to Iowa.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So from what I have found is you can get an approx. age from the stickers. The black stripes (or lack of) tell the time frame. Ours appears to be late 70s.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So from what I have found is you can get an approx. age from the stickers. The black stripes (or lack of) tell the time frame. Ours appears to be late 70s.
    Im honestly surprised you got for what you did, most farm collectibles are pretty stinking expensive. I wish I still had my metal tractors from my childhood, dad bought them from the John Deere dealership, I’m sure they’re worth quite a bit now, or would have been if I didn’t destroy them :facepalm:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Im honestly surprised you got for what you did, most farm collectibles are pretty stinking expensive. I wish I still had my metal tractors from my childhood, dad bought them from the John Deere dealership, I’m sure they’re worth quite a bit now, or would have been if I didn’t destroy them :facepalm:
    Mechari, never used the website before but so far so good. Have been looking for one for about 3 years now and have not been able to find a price that matches the condition or shipping made it to expensive.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    A friend has a collection of John Deere pedal tractors. He bought a utility trailer, added green indoor/outdoor carpet and has rows of fully restored tractors on the trailer. He also has the accessory wagons for them that he has hung on the lift gate on the back of the trailer. He "needed" one to complete a series and made a road trip all the way to Georgia to buy it. But the trailer is amazing to look at.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you are going to invest the time to sand it down and put a coat or two of paint on it, why not go the extra 20% and restore it as well as you can?

I know I am possibly a little OCD but if I'm going to invest time in any project, I want it done as well as possible.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Don't overlook your local JD dealer for replacement parts and probably decal sets. My boys received a brand new one from their grandfather. Restored it and past it down to the next generation. I think it is still in the family someplace. Also a good source for the correct paint.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I painted my 2004 F-150 after replacing the bed, figured it would be best to paint the whole truck. Rustoleum Massy Furgeson grey was close to the original color and it worked out well. I did not do "rattle cans," bought a gallon and thinned it with naptha and sprayed with a Harbor Freight gun.
    They also carry JD green and about all the farm implements colors IIRC in smaller cans since a gallon would be a bit much for your project. Jim.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If you are going to invest the time to sand it down and put a coat or two of paint on it, why not go the extra 20% and restore it as well as you can?

I know I am possibly a little OCD but if I'm going to invest time in any project, I want it done as well as possible.
    I get it, but I know it will have a demanding kid behind the seat. So long as the body doesn't get cracked it can be restored in a few years. For now, its for play.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I get it, but I know it will have a demanding kid behind the seat. So long as the body doesn't get cracked it can be restored in a few years. For now, its for play.
    IMO, this makes it even more awesome! Most of these items are now given a life of display, and not let out to give the joy for a new generation. Although we may thinking we are showing respect for the items by putting them behind glass, it prevents the newer generations from developing memories of them and in a few years, the kids will consider them as junk and send them straight to the landfill.
    --Rick

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Update:
    There has been zero progress. Have emailed companies that specialize in parts for these things and can't get much help ordering anything.

Saw this sitting in a customer's garage today... it will do the job for now.

Yes the jd is still the project... timeline has been changed.

20230412_115731.jpg

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I’ve always favored the red IH tractors. Dad put in over 35 years at the IH South works plant in the rolling mill.

Top Bottom