A Good Spotting Scope On A Budget? First time buyer’s guide…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I found this thread very informative as I am transitioning from cheap optics to quality optics, and currently use a Simmons Blazer spotting scope that I bought from Wal-Mart for $60. I was (am?) the Bushnell/Simmons/Tasco guy for many years, because I had never looked through better glass and admittedly was too cheap to care. I figured people who spent more money were either rich or fools. I realized I was the fool and you don't have to be rich after purchasing a couple of Vortex scopes in the past year, granted they are not the most expensive scopes, but they are of great quality with a company that backs their product (and I have personally used their customer service twice, great folks!). The Simmons scope worked fine for me in the beginning because I had never used one before and didn't know any better. Somehow I have tolerated the zero eye relief, shaky as hell tripod, and blurry glass similar to leaving your contacts in all night and trying to look around the room right after you wake up in the morning. I got the pleasure of looking through Nate's Razor Scope the other day at ZX and was astonished at the clarity. I am by no means looking to spend that kind of money on one and don't need something to go out to 1000yds anyways as I am nowhere near ready for that kind of distance (hell I've never shot past 100yds). This thread and my conversation with Nate have got me thinking about that KonusSpot80 though.

Thank you very much for the time involved in researching these scopes. People like you and threads like these are the reason I'm here and continue to come back for more.

-Travis

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Bad idea. Weight is not everything, the tightness in the joints plays a bigger role than wieght, and thats the week spot in the Barska spotter.

I run a Ewing, but they are crazy expensive. I spend a ton of time behind my glass so I can justify it. The Jim Ownes model was not an option when I bought my Ewing 15 years ago. If it were, I would have bought one. Its not a pack stand, but its a hell of a range stand, and its roughly the same money as the Barska. My ewing was 300 ish, the Jim Ownes is not as good, but its in the ballpark for 1/2 the price.

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen a Barska so I had no idea about design quality.
    I'm not looking to pack it around and like to spot standing.
    So, I'm not interested in short tripods or tripods that collapse to 12 inches.

I haven't run across Ewing or Jim Owens tripods yet. I'll have to look further.
    In fact I haven't found realistic reviews on tripod yet.
    Most are little more than descriptions or complaints.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I found this thread very informative as I am transitioning from cheap optics to quality optics, and currently use a Simmons Blazer spotting scope that I bought from Wal-Mart for $60. I was (am?) the Bushnell/Simmons/Tasco guy for many years, because I had never looked through better glass and admittedly was too cheap to care. I figured people who spent more money were either rich or fools. I realized I was the fool and you don't have to be rich after purchasing a couple of Vortex scopes in the past year, granted they are not the most expensive scopes, but they are of great quality with a company that backs their product (and I have personally used their customer service twice, great folks!). The Simmons scope worked fine for me in the beginning because I had never used one before and didn't know any better. Somehow I have tolerated the zero eye relief, shaky as hell tripod, and blurry glass similar to leaving your contacts in all night and trying to look around the room right after you wake up in the morning. I got the pleasure of looking through Nate's Razor Scope the other day at ZX and was astonished at the clarity. I am by no means looking to spend that kind of money on one and don't need something to go out to 1000yds anyways as I am nowhere near ready for that kind of distance (hell I've never shot past 100yds). This thread and my conversation with Nate have got me thinking about that KonusSpot80 though.

Thank you very much for the time involved in researching these scopes. People like you and threads like these are the reason I'm here and continue to come back for more.

-Travis

Thank you for the comment, and the compliment!

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Does this appear to be a good deal on that Konuspot80 with what appears to be a Konus 1957 Magnesium Tripod/Monopod for $279 with free shipping from MidwayUSA?

Konus Spotting Scope 20-60x 80mm Tripod Photo Adapter Soft Case Tripod

It has been my experience that anything too good to be true, usually is. My advice here, is get the Konus and save for a better tripod. You can utilize the tripod that comes with it until you have a bit more cash. If you have the extra $80 for the "package deal," it won't be long before you can have $150. There are some solid full-size performers at that price point, adequate, not perfect. (Refer to Alan's comment on the Owens) Take the time to attend a long distance shoot, people love to talk about their equipment!

edit: Please, come back to this thread and tell us what you purchase plus how it works for you!

Last edited:

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    My new Konus arrived yesterday.

I quickly mounted it on my cheap tripod to see how it performed here in town.

Even with the tripod shaking, like a dog dumping peach seeds,
    I was able to discern all the lettering on a military plaque on a tombstone about 150 yards down the street.

I immediately increased my search efforts for a decent tripod.

For now I'm looking to pick up a Bogen or Manfrotto.

They are pretty pricey, so I'm focusing on a used one from ebay.

If I can't pick up a decent Bogen or Manfrotto for under $200, I'll go with a Fancier Studios tripod.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Any reason you guys like the tripods and i'm assuming to be standing while using them versus the lower options and having minimal offset from the shooter?

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    If I can't pick up a decent Bogen or Manfrotto for under $200, I'll go with a Fancier Studios tripod.

You can get a new manfrotto under 200 from optics planet: Manfrotto 294 Aluminum 3 Section Camera Tripod w/ 128RC Micro Fluid Tripod Head FREE S&H MK294A3-128RC. Manfrotto Tripods. My wife loves hers for photography. It isn't short enough for a table top or prone.

Vortex makes another my friend swears by: Vortex Pro GT Tripod PRO-2 FREE S&H PRO-2. Vortex Tripods. I haven't used it, but Vortex makes quality products.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    This is an outstanding thread! Thank you SBU sailor for the write up!

42769vette, you mentioned the limitations of some spotting scopes in seeing vapor trail. I'm looking at the 20-60x80 Vortex Diamondback. Do you think that is a sufficient scope to see vapor trail?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

42769vette, you mentioned the limitations of some spotting scopes in seeing vapor trail. I'm looking at the 20-60x80 Vortex Diamondback. Do you think that is a sufficient scope to see vapor trail?

Not reliablely. You will catch it some times, but not all the time.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    My new Konus arrived yesterday.

I quickly mounted it on my cheap tripod to see how it performed here in town.

Even with the tripod shaking, like a dog dumping peach seeds,
    I was able to discern all the lettering on a military plaque on a tombstone about [STRIKE]150[/STRIKE] 340 yards down the street.

I immediately increased my search efforts for a decent tripod.

For now I'm looking to pick up a Bogen or Manfrotto.

They are pretty pricey, so I'm focusing on a used one from ebay.

I erred on the 150 yards. We measured it tonight and it is actually 340 yards.
    All viewers were impressed with the resolution, specially at dusk.

AS for the tripod, after spending several hours researching on the Web,
    I've come to the conclusion that the Manfrotto is probably the best tripod on the market.

Even the included tripod is touchy and can be set off easily. It does settle down though.

While most of the tripod reviews I've read were from photographers, and the application is different,
    the Manfrotto always gets great reviews.

If I can buy a $500 or $600 Manfrotto for less than $200, I'm there.
    If it doesn't work for me I can resell it for minimal loss and move on.

I usually shoot with family or friends including youngsters.
    Most kids have no idea where their feet are.
    So it needs to be able to withstand substantial bumping.

I don't shoot alone, so one of us will usually spot for the shooter.
    Close proximity to the shooter is not an issue for me.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...

Thanks for the comment, and compliment!

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I don't shoot alone, so one of us will usually spot for the shooter.
    Close proximity to the shooter is not an issue for me.

You hit the nail on the head here. Choice of equipment varies greatly by intended use. I wouldn't use a grenade to kill a coyote in my barn. I put my Diamondback on the wife's manfrotto to test it. It's solid, I liked it. It is good enough for my use. Couldn't go prone with it, so a solitary long range shooter wouldn't want it. I appreciate that you keep coming back with your views on tripods. Maybe you should do a comparison thread for them! :) Awesomeness.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Not reliablely. You will catch it some times, but not all the time.

Bummer. In that case... could you elaborate on vapor trail a bit? How much $$ is needed to purchase a spotting scope that will reliably see vapor trail? And how important is seeing vapor trail to a spotter's job?

Thanks!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ryandeleeuw340
    Top Bottom