A good shooting mat that WILL NOT BURN ME?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I bought a really nice shooting mat and was looking forward to shooting on it. But a few hours in the sun and I felt like I was cooking my legs and forearms at a shoot earlier this year. It was really painful and difficult to relax into my natural point of aim. I shot terribly.

So I need one that won't cook me alive for future meets.

Recommendations?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I bought a really nice shooting mat and was looking forward to shooting on it. But a few hours in the sun and I felt like I was cooking my legs and forearms at a shoot earlier this year. It was really painful and difficult to relax into my natural point of aim. I shot terribly.

So I need one that won't cook me alive for future meets.

Recommendations?

Throw a light colored cotten towel over it when shooting in the sun.

Same for covering firearms.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Throw a light colored cotten towel over it when shooting in the sun.

Same for covering firearms.

This.
    (looks like they dont make this one anymore, but its available on ebay)

Mine doesnt get TOO bad. but its not totally comfy unless I use a towel. Even just to keep the sun off when I'm not on it.

Today was brutal in the sun at Proteq. Haven and I went and it was OK in the shade. But back in the 360 bay. Yikes. Beating sun AND no breeze? Felt like over 100.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I used this one for years of National Match Competition. It is also available with the grippy rubber set up for a left handed shooter. Never felt any burning even in 110 degree Texas sunshine.

I cannot get the picture to load, but click on the word Champion and it goes straight there.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The last time I went out I used a black rubber mat and it was awful. You can fold the mat up over your rifle while you aren't using it but with it being black, it was still painfully hot along with the rifle. I bought a light gray yoga mat for the next time hoping its better.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    This.
    (looks like they dont make this one anymore, but its available on ebay)

Mine doesnt get TOO bad. but its not totally comfy unless I use a towel. Even just to keep the sun off when I'm not on it.

Today was brutal in the sun at Proteq. Haven and I went and it was OK in the shade. But back in the 360 bay. Yikes. Beating sun AND no breeze? Felt like over 100.

It is amazing how quicky a firearm can get uncomfortably hot when laying in the sun.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I use one of these, with a silver upper side.

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    I use one like this. The rubber is gray and doesn't heat as much in the sun.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

I have had what appears to be the same mat bought ~22 years ago for service rifle matches. Very good mat and the light colors stay much cooler. I would recommend it.

I also bought 2 of these "cheap" mats a few years back to leave in place on NRL22 matches where everyone shares (and walks all over) mats. being light and handy, I tend to grab one of these first for light duty use. They do not have a rubber elbow area.

Last edited:

MrMunster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    I hope the new Freeland products are as good as those made by Uncle Al. I'm still using several of the products that I purchased from the original store in Rock Island 30+ years ago. They have clearly stood the test of time. Some of the things I purchased from the "Champion" period, I cannot say the same about.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Benefit of using one like this, is you can always throw it down in the front hall afterwards so you don't forget where you left it...

Attachments

• 5fd446692828554dbae5b8f73963f7ab.jpg
      5fd446692828554dbae5b8f73963f7ab.jpg
      136.3 KB · Views: 2
    Top Bottom