• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One of my best friends since 17 yrs old & met as a college freshman, has an Uncle that owns a 600 farm in OH.
    He's quite the character & has plenty of equipment to near do anything it seems.
    After a 2 hour trip (stopping for story telling along the way) on a big 4 person Honda ATV looking at the 4 ponds he created on the property & trails through the woods & trees planted (of whom deer are the big enemy eat the tops off, killing them), we went into the machine shop after supper.

It was amazing to see a dozen pieces of equipment with 4 different kinds of ways of cutting metal depending on how hot you needed with more than one plasma cutters (if that is even the correct term).
    I took a few pics since some of you know what they are & could appreciate them (all over my head).
    I didn't even take pics of the welding equipment or the cutting equipment.

He used to make rifle barrels with the longer version of this.
    machine 2 for real.jpg

It can calibrate to a 10,000nths (if I understood correctly).
    He has made AR lowers with this.
    machine 1.jpg

His grandsons needed something to make knives with, so he put this together for them.
    machine 3 p1.jpg
    machine 3 p2.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wish I had the means, space and knowledge to have and utilize tools like that. The home built trip hammer is a brilliant piece of engineering and design.
    I know.
    And he put it all together with things he had sitting around the shop just for his 14-year-old and 16-year-old grandsons to make knives with, ha ha!

He’s got a couple of older grandsons that are studying engineering
    &
    in his eyes are marvels in their genius like any granddad would think.

But, they grew up in his shop, making stuff and fooling around with different pieces & levels of equipment, gaining valuable practical experience in application.

My dad had a huge shed full of tools along with the basement.
    His rule was to buy one tool for a week after payday.

I was a 14-year-old “expert” in concrete work and threading pipe and laying down gas lines, sewer lines and water lines on our 3 acres.

All against my will of course.
    I would rather be down the road a mile playing basketball in the neighbors barn, ha ha!
    Or, sneaking off to the swimming hole a mile up the road.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it out to a friend's Uncle's farm in OH again.
    Another smaller machine shop he had put together since last time I was there.
    This was mostly for the grandkids to make knives.

Belt sander for but his grandkids making knives & swords.
    machine 1.jpg

Steel press designed & put together used after getting the metal red hot in a small furnace I forgot to get pic of.
    Used to flatten out steel for making knives.
    Has different thicknesses of the piece in the upper right hand corner he's made & put them on a rack.
    He puts this stuff together: unbelievable to a guy like me who wants help building a ramp going to the shed or rebuilding a 2 door gate going out the back yard into 1 large gate, haha!
    I barely can figure out how to install a latch, haha!
    machine 2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom