A friend asked about reloading vs factory ammo...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    He wanted to compare components to factory. Where do things stand at the moment? He said he had 4 5-gallon buckets of 223 brass and wanted to see if it's worth it or not to mine for bullets, primers, a press, dies, etc...or sell the buckets and purchase ammo. What do you all think?

BrockStrader22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 21, 2021
    Covington, IN
    For plinking currently reloading .223 is not worth it. Small rifle primers (if you can find them) ~10 cpr on a "good" deal, used to be 4-5 cents per round but this one seems to be holding out. bullets ~10 cpr for fmj. rough estimate of 25 grains of varget is roughly 15 cpr. components alone with free brass is roughly 35 cpr, you can currently find new .223 for 50 cpr pretty easily. It will take a lot of rounds to cover the cost of the initial setup and it's a whole lot easier and faster to just buy a box somewhere.

......Now if he is looking for a new hobby, looking to make super accurate precision ammo, or wants to be able to choose a specialty bullet it is well worth it. I tend to enjoy reloading, I love tuning my loads to make them more accurate, and it's pretty cool to just think "I made that." Also, with all the craziness that has happened with ammo over the last 10 or so years, it's always nice to know if I can't get it I can make it.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Search around for better and better prices on components and buy in bulk when you can. I’m seeing SPP down to $.07 each. FMJ 55grn generic boolits around +/- $.10 each. Powder regularly available not using internet sites and thus avoiding hazmat and shipping under $35-40/lb which comes to about $.15-.17/load. If you already have brass, that’s zero for brass. Every penny counts in reloading and it’s still a great hobby. Of course, if time is of the essence, then commercial ammo wins the battle; and war. My :twocents: for reloading.

Last edited:

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Portage
    Also don't forget if somebody does stupid thing again like shooting and not at a range. The bullets will be gone and prices will be sky high again. Get them or make them while you can.

Top Bottom