Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    In the same article cited by Kirk above:

Mentally Ill to be Moved to Community Housing with Reduced Supervision
    Facing scrutiny from the Obama administration, Governor Andrew Cuomo is apparently going to be moving mentally ill patients from supervised settings and placing them in community housing. In this community housing, as opposed to the adult homes patients were normally placed in by psychiatric facilities, residents are not forced to take their medications and will not be under supervision at all times. This has some people worried, as multiple cases of people being pushed in front of subways have been the result of mentally ill individuals who stopped taking their medicine. However, according to an executive report issued by Governor Cuomo in November, he believes that those with disabilities have the right to “community-based services, accessible housing with appropriate supports and employment opportunities.” Despite further concerns that those placed in the community homes may end up homeless, dead, or in psychiatric hospitals – concerns supported by past incidents – the Cuomo administration will likely move forward with this plan to empty adult homes of the mentally ill. The Obama administration has threatened to sue in order to close all adult homes, as it believes they are illegally segregating the mentally ill. Albany was before Judge Nicholas Garaufis in 2011, and he ordered the immediate dismantling of the adult home system. Albany’s efforts at compromise were all rejected.

Guns ARE the problem right?

And we need meaningful laws, right?

:facepalm:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Without doing a lot of legal research, all I could say is that the "Freedom of the Press" is not absolute. I suppose I'll have to go back and read N.Y. v. Sullivan.

I had a case in 2011 where a video deposition was taken of my client and after the trial, NBC intervened to have the video released (I had obtained a protective order to prevent it's release, previously). Very long story short, the Court agreed with me and the video deposition was kept sealed (a written transcript was released, but that was not a problem). I say that to say this, the press doesn't always get its way.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    A
    Without doing a lot of legal research, all I could say is that the "Freedom of the Press" is not absolute. I suppose I'll have to go back and read N.Y. v. Sullivan.

I had a case in 2011 where a video deposition was taken of my client and after the trial, NBC intervened to have the video released (I had obtained a protective order to prevent it's release, previously). Very long story short, the Court agreed with me and the video deposition was kept sealed (a written transcript was released, but that was not a problem). I say that to say this, the press doesn't always get its way.

I think you mean New York Times v. Sullivan, the "actual malice case. The definition of "actual malice" being a knowing falsehood or reckless disregard of the truth. A very high standard.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom