9th Circuit judge torches fellow judges: I'll write your en-banc bad take on 2nd Amendment for you

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    We need a lot more judges like this.

The backstory: Last week, a three-judge panel overturned a Ventura County, CA emergency measure that closed all gun stores at the beginning of the pandemic while allowing other “essential businesses” to operate. The ruling shredded Ventura’s attempt to preclude exercise of the right to bear arms, albeit on the relatively modest basis that it fails under any and all levels of scrutiny.

That’s where the fun begins. Judge Lawrence Van Dyke authored the controlling opinion, but in an unusual step, wrote a separate concurrence to his own ruling. In it, Van Dyke predicted that the Ninth Circuit would vote for yet another en banc hearing to justify the unconstitutional and decided to pre-empt it with a scathing bit of satire.

From there he lays out the tricks his fellow judges have used in the past to restrict 2A rights and predicts what will be in the en banc ruling. It's pretty savage.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "But...but...but...um...bumpstocks!"
    I have explained so many times the whole strategy on that. We were lucky it was not worse than that. If he had held with the purity line on a plastic accessory our guns likely would have been part of the deal the RINO’s in congress would have made.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    "But...but...but...um...bumpstocks!"

Yeah, but bumpstocks...

I'm unhappy he banned them but how he chose to do it is scary.
    By having an agency reinterpret a long standing opinion he took a shortcut that future presidents may find useful in taking away other gun rights. He leveraged the 4th branch of government and it was was slimy, underhanded and wrong. He lost enthusiasm from a number of 2A supporters and those that care about fair government.

He gets a lot of credit for his judicial nominations. That was the most important accomplishment of his presidency.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah, but bumpstocks...

I'm unhappy he banned them but how he chose to do it is scary.
    By having an agency reinterpret a long standing opinion he took a shortcut that future presidents may find useful in taking away other gun rights. He leveraged the 4th branch of government and it was was slimy, underhanded and wrong. He lost enthusiasm from a number of 2A supporters and those that care about fair government.

He gets a lot of credit for his judicial nominations. That was the most important accomplishment of his presidency.
    I see it playing out as intended, on the way to SCOTUS…

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I've seen this rationalization before but never the background demonstrating it was the case. Do you have anything you can share?

Regardless it was the wrong way to go about it and a big mistake.
    If you are asking for concrete proof, there is none. If what I suggest would have happened would you? Go back and read what republicans were saying after Vegas shooting, I was worried how bad what they did would be at the time. They were on the verge of sell us out IMHO…

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I see it playing out as intended, on the way to SCOTUS…
    So the plan is that with each mass shooting we concede a gun freedom and cross our fingers that it's restored a few years later by the court?

In the meantime, as is the case with bump stocks, owners will need to destroy their items or risk 10 years.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone who thinks the bumpstock ban was some sort of 4-dimensional chess game by Trump is just plain nuts. It was a knee-jerk reaction to one sick *******’s killing spree. And hopefully the unconstitutional way it happened doesn’t become the playbook for future traitorous acts.

That having been said, I will give credit where credit is due. Trumps judicial appointments are indeed his greatest legacy. I don’t like him personally because I think he’s one giant horse’s ass but I would vote for him again if he gets the nomination.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Anyone who thinks the bumpstock ban was some sort of 4-dimensional chess game by Trump is just plain nuts. It was a knee-jerk reaction to one sick *******’s killing spree. And hopefully the unconstitutional way it happened doesn’t become the playbook for future traitorous acts.
    Obama didn't attempt such a thing because he knew that the president had no such authority and that congressional Republicans would call him on that fact. Trump did it because he knew that congressional Republicans wouldn't stand up to him. Had Trump been reelected, I think he probably would have done even worse by now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

That having been said, I will give credit where credit is due. Trumps judicial appointments are indeed his greatest legacy. I don’t like him personally because I think he’s one giant horse’s ass but I would vote for him again if he gets the nomination.
    Whether 4-D chess or blind luck I guarantee the outcome is better than what you would have gotten from congress…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So the plan is that with each mass shooting we concede a gun freedom and cross our fingers that it's restored a few years later by the court?

In the meantime, as is the case with bump stocks, owners will need to destroy their items or risk 10 years.
    No, it was a reprieve for us to elect more 2A friendly to congress before the next time. If we already had a strong 2A friendly majority it would not have been necessary, that is the plan…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Obama didn't attempt such a thing because he knew that the president had no such authority and that congressional Republicans would call him on that fact. Trump did it because he knew that congressional Republicans wouldn't stand up to him. Had Trump been reelected, I think he probably would have done even worse by now.
    Troll much?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I read replies to any posts (not just mine) I always pinch-zoom my phone so I can evaluate what I’m reading without bias. It’s hard for me to argue with this post. Maybe so with Trump’s unrealized overreach; we’ll never know. Unless re-elected, maybe. Anyone who trusts Trump implicitly is very trusting indeed. He may end up being the lesser of two evils again, and that would be a real shame.

We sure as hell ought to be able to do better.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Well, the media coverage would be more honest and we wouldn’t see articles about how inflation is actually good. So you make a solid point.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Whether 4-D chess or blind luck I guarantee the outcome is better than what you would have gotten from congress…
    We got from Congress exactly what we wanted: no response. Republican Congress didn't screw it up.

Only Trump clamped down. Trump screwed it up all on his own, and he set the precedent that a president can redefine what counts as an NFA item.

Top Bottom