• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I have a second 80% lower that I would like to use for a build. (I say second because the last time I heard, nobody cares about the first build. But if you do more than one, ATF gets interested if there aren't S/Ns.)

Can someone recommend someone (or a company) in central Indiana that can engrave (or whatever) a serial number on my 80% lower?

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    You don't need a serial number on an 80% lower unless you are going to sell it.
    If for your own, private use no serial.number is needed.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    You don't need a serial number on an 80% lower unless you are going to sell it.
    If for your own, private use no serial.number is needed.
    That would be incorrect, if you build an 80% lower, you cannot sell it, gift it, or transfer it, there is no way for a individual to “sell” it legally, there is no way for an individual to pay the tax, do the 4473, register the serial number or anything else associated with a firearm manufacturer or ffl

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    That would be incorrect, if you build an 80% lower, you cannot sell it, gift it, or transfer it, there is no way for a individual to “sell” it legally, there is no way for an individual to pay the tax, do the 4473, register the serial number or anything else associated with a firearm manufacturer or ffl
    That info is wrong. You can sell them. That being said, I wouldn't do it.

What tax would be paid?
    Why do a 4473?
    Register the serial number with who?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    That info is wrong. You can sell them. That being said, I wouldn't do it.

What tax would be paid?
    Why do a 4473?
    Register the serial number with who?
    Your right, I’m wrong! What do I know?
    If a gun dealer can’t assemble a lower that has a serial number and sell it (at that point the dealer becomes manufacturer type 07)then how can a person do it???

In this instance why doesn’t rock river, colt, and smith and Wesson just “assemble” 80% lowers and sell them without government oversight???

And don’t forget that if you purchase a firearm for the intent of reselling it you are considered a”dealer” and subject to fbi/batfe regulations

Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    OK. For the sake of argument, I build a gun from an 80%. I die. I would like my children to be able to take posession of the gun. What has to happen? Will a serial number help the situation?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Your right, I’m wrong! What do I know?
    If a gun dealer can’t assemble a lower that has a serial number and sell it (at that point the dealer becomes manufacturer type 07)then how can a person do it???

In this instance why doesn’t rock river, colt, and smith and Wesson just “assemble” 80% lowers and sell them without government oversight???

And don’t forget that if you purchase a firearm for the intent of reselling it you are considered a”dealer” and subject to fbi/batfe regulations

If only there were more common sense gun laws, we wouldn't have to worry about such things.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    OK. For the sake of argument, I build a gun from an 80%. I die. I would like my children to be able to take posession of the gun. What has to happen? Will a serial number help the situation?
    The batfe suggests some sort of serial number, not for transfer purposes, but for theft recovery, if it gets stolen, how do you identify it to the police?

You “Hey my homemade ar was stolen”
    The police “how do we know it’s yours?”

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    I'm pretty sure that is what I said.
    No serial number needed for your own, private use.
    If you sell it, etc, you must serial number it and YOU are the manufacturer on the 4473.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I believe there are many faulty premises in this thread that has left several responses baying off in less than effective directions.

Our OP just desires to have a serial number engraved. There is not requirement to do so if he is not a licensee/SOT. Maybe he now wants to trade/sell/gift it. NBD.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    7 words in a Google search can bring so much info: "can i sell a firearm i made".

Like so many gun laws there is indistinguishable determination. Did you make it to sell it? Or did you make it for yourself and decide to sell. How can you tell? How can someone else know your intentions?

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) permits an unlicensed individual to make a firearm for personal use, but not for sale or distribution. ... A gun explicitly made for personal use can be sold or transferred in the same way that a factory-made firearm of that same class can be sold or transferred.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If all the OP wants is a serial number, he can buy a $9.95 set of number stamps at harbor freight, and stamp away. If he wants to know the law/regs he should look at the batfe website and not rely on others “opinions”

Top Bottom