8 yrs of fear overcame w/ 22LR! What is next? LCP in 380?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Would the Sig 365 ammo be a good option to try? I saw it in the store and considered picking up a box of the FMJ version to see if I like it.. if I didn’t I was going to hand it over to my range partner with a P938.
    I'm not familiar with that ammo so I had to look it up. That is an example of ammo designed for short barrels.

It would be good for me to try it too although I don't carry the 380.

Jenn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm not familiar with that ammo so I had to look it up. That is an example of ammo designed for short barrels.

It would be good for me to try it too although I don't carry the 380.

I think they have something very similar in 9 for their P365 9mm variant.
    Range USA happens to be the closest range to me; they had the 9mm in two variations, one for target practice and one for self defense with the same energy. A few different Gr options..
    They also had the same setup for the 380. Let me see if I can find the names or the links

9mm ELITE 147Gr FMJ(for short barrel)
    9mm elite competition 147Gr JHP

Okay so I looked at Sig’s website and they do have 365 ammo in 9mm
    Here is all their options lol

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good on you for persevering. Keep pushing forward. If you can, go to the range at odd hours when its quiet. (dont be afraid to call and ask when that is)

If you get there and the range has several people shooting, be upfront with the staff about where you are in your journey and ask to be assigned a bay as far away as everyone else. Indoor ranges are awful for someone in your position. Hell, Ive been shooting for over 30* years and even I flinch when somebody next to me lets loose with a big caliber. So dont feel bad. its perfectly normal.

If they have a separate rifle range with nobody in it, ask to be assigned one of those bays. I'm sure the staff will understand. Just be aware you could have company that will be even more unnerving. (once again, if its a good range they'll let you move.)

And this may seem counterintuitive, but rent a Glock 19. (9mm) Those have a good mix of power and weight so they are not hard to shoot. Probably milder than a 38 airweight revolver. My wife carries a SCCY subcompact 9 and she likes my G19.

And of course, if you have the opportunity to shoot at an outdoor range, go there instead. That makes a WORLD of difference with noise.

Also, keep your eyes open here for INGO range day/open house at Proteq. That is a private range about an hour west of Indy. The owner opens it up to everyone once or twice a year to try it out in hopes of getting new members. (and his memberships are an awesome deal, even with the drive)

At those events there are a bunch of us that show up and shoot, and socialize. And there is a LOT of shooting each others' guns. A great opportunity for some friendly coaching and even trying out various guns. And of course since it is outdoors, its not as mentally jarring.

Keep going. You'll get there!

*Damn, that hurt to type. LOL

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I think they have something very similar in 9 for their P365 9mm variant.
    Range USA happens to be the closest range to me; they had the 9mm in two variations, one for target practice and one for self defense with the same energy. A few different Gr options..
    They also had the same setup for the 380. Let me see if I can find the names or the links

9mm ELITE 147Gr FMJ(for short barrel)
    9mm elite competition 147Gr JHP

Okay so I looked at Sig’s website and they do have 365 ammo in 9mm
    Here is all their options lol
    Yes, they sure have a lot of varieties but they are all too expensive for me for anything except carry ammo.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I have a S&W MP 22 compact that my wife enjoys shooting and was thinking about trying it with the Federal .22 Punch self-defense rounds. I think it might have similar results as the P322 in the review below.
    As always lots of good info in this thread just wonder if there are any thoughts on Federal Punch and if the OP might consider these rounds.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I second the 148gr wadcutter ammo for 38sp revolvers, but i would recommend against revolvers in general. They are hard to shoot well.
    I'll third this. A lightweight 38 snub nosed revolver will be jumpy, even with target wadcutters. With defensive loads, they can be downright punishing. The sights are barely adequate and the triggers are awful compared to any striker fired semiauto pistol. A lightweight snubnose may be the worst suggestion ever made to a new or learning shooter, other than maybe a derringer.

A steel frame revolver is better...something like a S&W Model 60 or a Ruger SP101 with target wadcutters would be fairly pleasant to shoot, but still suffers from the same long, heavy trigger pull and limited sight radius. Easier to master than one of the Airweights, though, and a solid choice if you find you prefer the shooting dynamics of a wheelgun. Just know that a S&W Model 60 weighs a little over 22 ounces, while the P365 380 weighs 15.7 oz. Whether that's enough to make carrying more of a chore is up to you and your method of carry. Also consider the 5 round capacity in a snubnose vs. 10 and more in the new little 380s or subcompact 9mm options.

For home defense, I would not hesitate to recommend a good steel frame 4" revolver with wadcutters or even standard pressure JHP, if you find you prefer a revolver to an autoloader. The weight and barrel length of the 4" revolver really tames loads that would be unpleasant in a snubnose.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'll third this. A lightweight 38 snub nosed revolver will be jumpy, even with target wadcutters. With defensive loads, they can be downright punishing. The sights are barely adequate and the triggers are awful compared to any striker fired semiauto pistol. A lightweight snubnose may be the worst suggestion ever made to a new or learning shooter, other than maybe a derringer.

Centerfire LCR addresses much of that. Cammed trigger isn't much harder of a pull than a factory Glock. Good sights available, either right out of the box or with a *very* simple modification (push pin out, lift sight off post, put new sight on post, push pin in). The factory Hogue grips tame recoil very well. I suggest it will be not be more unpleasant than a .380 round from an LCP and no harder to shoot, particularly since the OP says the LCP feels small in the hand. The more palm filling Hogues will help. Now, the trade off is fat-boi rubber grips are less concealable. Trade offs and all that.

Rimfire LCRs tend to have heavier triggers. Do not recommend.

That said, someone who is flash sensitive should probably steer clear of any snubby with anything but the lightest of loads and flash suppressed powder.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Centerfire LCR addresses much of that. Cammed trigger isn't much harder of a pull than a factory Glock. Good sights available, either right out of the box or with a *very* simple modification (push pin out, lift sight off post, put new sight on post, push pin in). The factory Hogue grips tame recoil very well. I suggest it will be not be more unpleasant than a .380 round from an LCP and no harder to shoot, particularly since the OP says the LCP feels small in the hand. The more palm filling Hogues will help. Now, the trade off is fat-boi rubber grips are less concealable. Trade offs and all that.

Rimfire LCRs tend to have heavier triggers. Do not recommend.

That said, someone who is flash sensitive should probably steer clear of any snubby with anything but the lightest of loads and flash suppressed powder.
    Out of all of the small revolvers out there, the Ruger LCR is the absolute last revolver that I would ever carry or recommend. And yes, I've owned one.

And this is why:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Out of all of the small revolvers out there, the Ruger LCR is the absolute last revolver that I would ever carry or recommend. And yes, I've owned one.

And this is why:

I've literally never done it without intentionally doing it and I've shot thousands of rounds through two of them. I've worked multiple shootings where the LCR was used, primarily by good guys or at least not the bad guys this time guys. Zero short stroked it. It's an overblown concern like short stroking a pump shotgun. If you can't figure it out, you suck and should train more and you are the problem, not the gun. (Not you specifically, a generic you. I've no idea if you suck or not. :D)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a S&W MP 22 compact that my wife enjoys shooting and was thinking about trying it with the Federal .22 Punch self-defense rounds. I think it might have similar results as the P322 in the review below.
    As always lots of good info in this thread just wonder if there are any thoughts on Federal Punch and if the OP might consider these rounds.

They don't advertise these as SD rounds but looks very similar to the Punch but easier to find and cheaper.

https://prd.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220320-22-interceptor-high-velocity-copper-plated-40/

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    They don't advertise these as SD rounds but looks very similar to the Punch but easier to find and cheaper.

https://prd.aguilaammo.com/ammunition/1b220320-22-interceptor-high-velocity-copper-plated-40/
    I don't think they are all that similar.
    On the Punch site they say 29 grain bullets at 1070-1080 FPS.
    On the Aguila site they say 40 grain bullets at 1470 FPS.

Those are like box numbers so they don't mean much in the real world but that is quite a difference. I'm going to definitely try that Aguila ammo - never for defense but just for plinking fun.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've literally never done it without intentionally doing it and I've shot thousands of rounds through two of them. I've worked multiple shootings where the LCR was used, primarily by good guys or at least not the bad guys this time guys. Zero short stroked it. It's an overblown concern like short stroking a pump shotgun. If you can't figure it out, you suck and should train more and you are the problem, not the gun. (Not you specifically, a generic you. I've no idea if you suck or not. :D)
    I'm not into handicapping myself with inferior equipment when it comes to potential life and death situations. Nobody ever wished for a smaller gun with fewer rounds in an actual deadly force encounter. To devote training time to an obsolete platform...why?

And forgive my skepticism on your shooting investigations, but "did ya short stroke it" doesn't seem like it would be on the standard questionnaire. Did you ask them if they suck as well?

:):

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

A steel frame revolver is better...something like a S&W Model 60 or a Ruger SP101 with target wadcutters would be fairly pleasant to shoot, but still suffers from the same long, heavy trigger pull and limited sight radius. Easier to master than one of the Airweights, though, and a solid choice if you find you prefer the shooting dynamics of a wheelgun. Just know that a S&W Model 60 weighs a little over 22 ounces, while the P365 380 weighs 15.7 oz. Whether that's enough to make carrying more of a chore is up to you and your method of carry. Also consider the 5 round capacity in a snubnose vs. 10 and more in the new little 380s or subcompact 9mm options.

For home defense, I would not hesitate to recommend a good steel frame 4" revolver with wadcutters or even standard pressure JHP, if you find you prefer a revolver to an autoloader. The weight and barrel length of the 4" revolver really tames loads that would be unpleasant in a snubnose.
    You think match wadcutter loads are jumpy?
    My 77yo mother with arthritis in hands and wrist shoots it well in her Taurus model 85.

This is what her 85 looks like. She loves it.
    1664638740602.png

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You think match wadcutter loads are jumpy?
    My 77yo mother with arthritis in hands and wrist shoots it well in her Taurus model 85.

This is what her 85 looks like. She loves it.
    View attachment 227794

That's a steel frame revolver, isn't it? Did you read what I posted about steel frames?

And no, wadcutters aren't jumpy to me. We're not talking about me, or the other seasoned shooters on INGO. We're helping someone who has just worked through an aversion to flash and noise by training with a .22LR. Maybe jumpy was the wrong word, I was referring more to the OP's concerns of flash and noise.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not into handicapping myself with inferior equipment when it comes to potential life and death situations. Nobody ever wished for a smaller gun with fewer rounds in an actual deadly force encounter. To devote training time to an obsolete platform...why?

And forgive my skepticism on your shooting investigations, but "did ya short stroke it" doesn't seem like it would be on the standard questionnaire. Did you ask them if they suck as well?

:):

If you short stroke and reset then you'll have an unfired round between two fired rounds, which crime lab workup will note. If you suck or not becomes self evident. Like, did you hit who you meant to hit in a place that mattered? If someone pulls the trigger and gets no bang...it tends to come up if they survive. A non-insignificant number had trouble getting a thumb safety off, for example.

As for the why of 'inferior' note the OP's problem of their gun not running reliably. Revolvers are more tolerant of maintenance neglect. Don't clean or lube it for two years? Five? It'll shoot. Semi-autos are more tolerant of high round counts, mind you, but don't take to lack of maintenance as well.

They are more tolerant of ammunition disparities (light loads are fine since there's no need to cycle an action, heavy loads are fine since it won't batter itself to death or run the slide faster than the magazine can feed another cartridge),

They are safer for the neophyte and the casual handler, in that they have a simpler administrative handing learning curve. There's no clearing steps to reverse and accidentally leave a cartridge in the chamber, which is a pretty common cause of unintended discharges.

They are better for those with limited hand stength/athritis issues. No magazines to load, no slide to rack, no malfunction drill beyond pull the trigger again.

Not everyone can carry a duty sized pistol at all times (and some of the people on this board who've proclaimed the need the loudest didn't carry in NPEs at all...so take that for what it's worth). If you have no specific and credible threat (you aren't dealing with a crazy ex, you don't owe your dope man money, etc) than capacity is irrelevant in any but the most extreme outliers. I've yet to find anyone dead with an empty j-frame in their hand from a randomly targeted crime. I've found people dead with empty extended mag Glocks in their hand from targeted crimes. Your threat level matters in equipment selection. I'm assuming the OP isn't leading the life that requires capacity concerns, counterambush fighting, etc.

When I travel, I often travel with an LCR. I can load it in the airport bathrooom with no noise and be armed before I'm too my rental car with zero notice taken. When I was a working detective, I used it as a coat pocket gun routinely. I could have my gun in a firing grip with zero indication that I was doing anything but having my hand in my pocket.

I would not use it as a primary duty gun. Different context, different equipment.

Top Bottom