• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Just saw this new cartridge from a shot show video. Looks like they are chambering semi auto and bolt guns in this new cartridge.
    Anyone thinking of making the plunge? I don't think it will fill a void for me but who knows.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Seems like it's really has only one purpose: Throw a heavy 338 bullet at subsonic speeds for suppressed use. The barrels are 1:3 twist which will over rotate supers fairly easily if you are not careful. I haven't done any calculations but when I ordered my 300 blackout barrel 1:5 twist like the Q honey badger will over rotate the lighter supersonic bullets causing problems.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Seems like it's really has only one purpose: Throw a heavy 338 bullet at subsonic speeds for suppressed use. The barrels are 1:3 twist which will over rotate supers fairly easily if you are not careful. I haven't done any calculations but when I ordered my 300 blackout barrel 1:5 twist like the Q honey badger will over rotate the lighter supersonic bullets causing problems.
    They said the other use was using supers in a short barrel, so you could hunt with a smaller rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2022
    Mccordsville
    Just saw this new cartridge from a shot show video. Looks like they are chambering semi auto and bolt guns in this new cartridge.
    Anyone thinking of making the plunge? I don't think it will fill a void for me but who knows.
    Based on the responses I'm seeing clearly we have some concerns, and I too have to question the timing of releasing this to us.

Normally, I like to see new ventures and development, especially in areas that allow for cross compatibility between my firearms, and ammunition components. For me, I've been loving the 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'd rather sell/get out of the .308 and focus on 6.5 Creedmoor based on my preferences. But we all like those bigger bullets should the need arise, and having the ability to cut the 6.5 case down and load with the .338 bullets is something that I'd like to pursue. I get that it's not going to perform like many other .30 cal platforms, but it does hit hard and is compatible with many of the components that I currently use.

To each their own I suppose, and to join in on the hate side of the fence, I've been waiting for Faxon match barrels in both the .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, so it's disappointing to say the least to know that they'd rather venture out into this new market than serve the one that is already established and that are patiently waiting to finish their builds... Not sure who's driving that ship, but I'm pretty sure they're about to loose a few sales from this guy.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Based on the responses I'm seeing clearly we have some concerns, and I too have to question the timing of releasing this to us.

Normally, I like to see new ventures and development, especially in areas that allow for cross compatibility between my firearms, and ammunition components. For me, I've been loving the 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'd rather sell/get out of the .308 and focus on 6.5 Creedmoor based on my preferences. But we all like those bigger bullets should the need arise, and having the ability to cut the 6.5 case down and load with the .338 bullets is something that I'd like to pursue. I get that it's not going to perform like many other .30 cal platforms, but it does hit hard and is compatible with many of the components that I currently use.

To each their own I suppose, and to join in on the hate side of the fence, I've been waiting for Faxon match barrels in both the .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, so it's disappointing to say the least to know that they'd rather venture out into this new market than serve the one that is already established and that are patiently waiting to finish their builds... Not sure who's driving that ship, but I'm pretty sure they're about to loose a few sales from this guy.
    I haven't met too many cartridges I hate. Some just don't do enough to justify the plunge with what I already load and shoot. I don't think I would rule it out just yet though. We will have to see how well it catches on.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    .473" bolt face, same as 6br, so it isn't a Blackout.

30 degree shoulder, same as 6br.

.125" longer than a 6br, but with the huge bullet buried in the case to fit the required overall length, there is no real gain in case capacity.

Again, a 6br necked up to .338. No thanks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2022
    Mccordsville
    @Hawkeye7br - Being able to take that the 6.5 Creedmoor case to the 8.6 is no different than taking a 6mm BR to the 30br which many have done. I understand there will be challenges, but I want what I want, and the 210 gr - 300 gr bullets running down a short barrel AR10 and 700 is exactly what I'm looking for. I get what you're saying, however I omitted my primary desire for use with my AR10 and Bolt action rifles that are currently setup for 6.5 Creedmoor & .308, but I'm happier with the 6.5 performance compared to the .308 and would rather eliminate the .308 in exchange for these much heavier bullets.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    How dare the firearms industry provide us with more choices. Especially when they should be catering exclusively to those that didn't have the sense to stock up when they could.

While I'm sure some will be thrilled with this cartridge and have a use for it, I just don't see it. The .338 Fed was already lacking in performance (and in popularity), designing a cartridge for lower performance in the same footprint just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Top Bottom