• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joreharr

Grandest Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Salem, Indiana
    I have recently acquired another Mauser in 7x57. However, Being rather shortsighted I sold any 7mm Mauser ammunition when i got rid of my 1916 Spanish Mauser. My question for the group is this, Is there any surplus 7x57mm left? I searched the last couple days and it would appear new production ammo is the only option out there. If anyone has any insight into a good source for 7x57 please let me know!

Thanks!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have recently acquired another Mauser in 7x57. However, Being rather shortsighted I sold any 7mm Mauser ammunition when i got rid of my 1916 Spanish Mauser. My question for the group is this, Is there any surplus 7x57mm left? I searched the last couple days and it would appear new production ammo is the only option out there. If anyone has any insight into a good source for 7x57 please let me know!

Thanks!

Ask Doggydaddy on this forum

joreharr

Grandest Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Salem, Indiana
    @DoggyDaddy, it would not let me direct message you. My question is this, Is there any surplus 7x57mm left? I searched the last couple days and it would appear new production ammo is the only option out there. BigRed suggested you may have some good insight.
    Thanks in advance my friend.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    @DoggyDaddy, it would not let me direct message you. My question is this, Is there any surplus 7x57mm left? I searched the last couple days and it would appear new production ammo is the only option out there. BigRed suggested you may have some good insight.
    Thanks in advance my friend.
    Howdy joreharr. I haven't seen any surplus for a few years. The last stuff I saw was pretty iffy. Really old (1930's I believe), and had some hangfires and duds. I got rid of all my 7x57 ammo and rifles shortly after the surplus dried up.

joreharr

Grandest Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Salem, Indiana
    Howdy joreharr. I haven't seen any surplus for a few years. The last stuff I saw was pretty iffy. Really old (1930's I believe), and had some hangfires and duds. I got rid of all my 7x57 ammo and rifles shortly after the surplus dried up.
    Appreciate the input! I will keep searching!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Thanks!
    If you don't reload, you may consider reloading or buying pizzas for a guy that does. If a guy reloads .308, buy a set of dies and you can reload 7 X 57. I gave away my 7 x 57 dies 20 years ago. Both men I know that shoot 7 X 57 reload for it including one who built a custom match rifle on a Savage action just because he wanted to shoot that cartridge.

Like Doggydaddy said, I have not seen good surplus 7 X 57 ammo in the last 45 years. the 8 X 57 was adopted by the germans early in the 1900's and used in WWII. That ammo is also scarce

Good luck

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    If the market ever catches up you will see more factory 7mm again, it will be mostly european or comm block though. As to surplus it is almost impossible to find anymore, since i reload i sold off almost all my surplus this past spring and was paid handsomely, some of it dated to the 1920's but never had any issues with it. Like other have said start reloading. I do collect mausers in 7mm :whistle:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I just checked GB, specifically searching for FAMAE 7x57 and five sellers turned up, but it was mixed lots with other manufacturers thrown in and nothing over 300 ads. Looked like people cleaning out their ammo boxes

I guess the days of buying 1000s of rounds are gone. You might either pony up the $20 for site supporter or work on 50 quality posts and you will not only be able to PM but can access the classifieds and post a Want to Buy (WTB) ad to see if anybody has enough to turn some loose

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I love my 7x57 rifles. I have one old Mauser, (as does my son) and a Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Mauser. I have, however very little surplus ammo. I end up buying PPU ammo almost exclusively, because it's what I can find, but it shoots pretty well. There's always Gunbroker, and gunshows. I'd love to get into handloading one day, but it's a bit late for that now with the panic in full swing...

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    If you don't reload, you may consider reloading or buying pizzas for a guy that does. If a guy reloads .308, buy a set of dies and you can reload 7 X 57. I gave away my 7 x 57 dies 20 years ago. Both men I know that shoot 7 X 57 reload for it including one who built a custom match rifle on a Savage action just because he wanted to shoot that cartridge.

Like Doggydaddy said, I have not seen good surplus 7 X 57 ammo in the last 45 years. the 8 X 57 was adopted by the germans early in the 1900's and used in WWII. That ammo is also scarce

Good luck
    Just my 2-cents worth: IF you decide to go the Reloading route, I've discovered that 7 x 57 Brass is Extremely difficult to find. MY FIL asked me to load some for him & finding Brass-even OF, is the Major obstacle.

Reactions: Leo

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I love my 7x57 rifles. I have one old Mauser, (as does my son) and a Remington 700 Classic in 7mm Mauser. I have, however very little surplus ammo. I end up buying PPU ammo almost exclusively, because it's what I can find, but it shoots pretty well. There's always Gunbroker, and gunshows. I'd love to get into handloading one day, but it's a bit late for that now with the panic in full swing...
    Hey, DadMax you might still want to go after dies for things you might reload if things move closer to normal. I've been finding really good prices on used dies at gun shows for a lot of rifle calibers. It seems as if peeps are clearing out die sets that they haven't been using. I bought a set of 6.5x55 dies that looked like they had never left the case for $30 and a lightly used set of creedmoor dies for $35

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just my 2-cents worth: IF you decide to go the Reloading route, I've discovered that 7 x 57 Brass is Extremely difficult to find. MY FIL asked me to load some for him & finding Brass-even OF, is the Major obstacle.
    I haven't done it, as I won't need a lot of 7x57 unless I find a nice Venezuelan Contract FN49 someday, but I believe you can trim and form 270 brass to make 7x57 and right now once fired 270 seems relatively easy to come by

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've seen 7x57 at gun shows, but not for a while. I love the 7mm Mauser, but have never owned one. My dad had an old Rolling block chambered in 7x57, and by the time I realized I wanted it, he had traded it.... Good luck finding ammo, it's out there....

Top Bottom