7 Exceptions to the search warrant rule

Rod Farva

Plinker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apr 26, 2018
Ghetto B
Hey this was very informative thank you.

amboy49

Expert
Site Supporter
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
Feb 1, 2013
central indiana
I’ve had my car, as well as homeowners, insurance with the same local independent agent for as long as I can remember. He and I are personal friends. I know their office phone number by heart. I am most likely guilty of not always updating the little card I get from the insurance company when I renew my insurance annually. Anyone can/could produce a little card from the insurance company, but they could also have had their policy cancelled due to failure to pay the premium, cancelled due to too many accidents, or for some other reason.

The local newspaper in our area has a daily collection of arrests of individuals from the previous day. By actual count I’ve read about an individual who was cited for 13 separate charges as a result of a traffic stop. In many instances it would seem the arresting officer assigns every possible offense to an arrest. I assume this is done in case one or more charges is dismissed, the officer/judge can still press for the remaining charges.

On the flip side, I have read follow up articles where the arrested party has accepted a plea bargain and all but one of the charges are dismissed. I guess it’s a little excessive to label it extortion, but if I was facing a host of charges I would also probably plea to the least serious charge out of sheer intimidation. Especially if I couldn’t afford my own competent lawyer.

Jaygentry

Plinker
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apr 23, 2018
Noblesville
Would that fall under consent?. I've always been taught that if I'm carrying, and get pulled over, they can ask if I'm carrying. But I dont have to turn it over to them. Because there is no probable cause. Is that correct?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oct 24, 2012
Valparaiso
Would that fall under consent?. I've always been taught that if I'm carrying, and get pulled over, they can ask if I'm carrying. But I dont have to turn it over to them. Because there is no probable cause. Is that correct?

To what previous post are you referring?

Police can ask whatever they want during a traffic stop...as can you or anyone. If they ask for your gun, assuming they are not pointing a gun at you, of course you can ask why...but if it turns from request to demand, whether they are right or not, comply and live to argue about it on another day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom