• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have an 18" barrel 65g that is one of the most fun ARs I shoot. It's ridiculously accurate. I had a 12.5" pistol that I built for my all around gun. I sold the barrel and went back to 556, which I regret.

As an all purpose caliber, it's hard to beat. The thing that bothers me way more than it should is the lack of 30 round magazines. I have 25 rounders that work flawlessly, and yet, it's not good enough? :dunno:

Also, my experience with the 100gr Wolf ammo was to be expected; not super accurate but in the right application would be just fine (plinking).

What brand of mag are you using for the 25rd mags? I have a 10 Rd CPD and a 17rd Elander. .the Elander I have not used yet because everything has been from a bench rest. I want to get some 25 or 26 Rd mags for it.

Last edited:

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I've been running 120gr Sierra Matchkings and 27.5gr of 8208 with excellent results. I've never been able to get the light bullets-100 to 115gr bullets to shoot worth a crap because you can't seat them out far enough due to the magazine length. I could never get the 123gr bullets to shoot as well as the 120s either. A friend is running the tipped Nosler 120s with the same 8208 load and getting the same groups I am at about 1/2 in at 100. From what I've seen the wolf ammo shoots as well as any of the other lightweight bullet ammo out there. Its all just too far from the rifling to do very well in this cal. Don't like buying stuff I can't reload though so I load all my own. Mostly Lapua brass. Its a good round to run on the Dillon 650.

Frank

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    C Products. I have these : https://palmettostatearmory.com/c-products-defense-6-5-grendel-25rd-ss-magazine.html

I think I have about a dozen of them, only one ever gave me problems.

Okay thanks I'll give them a shot.

amafrank I bought some Hornady 123gr SST. I plan on using for deer hunting this year. I loaded up 20 test rounds. Starting at 26.5gr - 28gr .5gr increments. 5 rds per powder charge. Hopefully I'll find the right load. According to Hodgdon I can take it up .5 more grain to 28.5gr. If need be.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Okay thanks I'll give them a shot.

amafrank I bought some Hornady 123gr SST. I plan on using for deer hunting this year. I loaded up 20 test rounds. Starting at 26.5gr - 28gr .5gr increments. 5 rds per powder charge. Hopefully I'll find the right load. According to Hodgdon I can take it up .5 more grain to 28.5gr. If need be.

I had a 123 SST turn to shrapnel in the one deer I shot last year. Performance was excellent for dropping the deer, but the over expansion didn’t thrill me during the butchering. I’m hoping it was a fluke, as the round shoots great from my gun and I’ve not read of anyone else having those issues.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Wow. Did the bullet happen to go through the shoulder socket?
    It’s possible. It was quartering toward, and it went through the shoulder, both lungs, but only one fragment exited out the other side.

I have since shot lots of hogs with it, and haven’t seemed to encounter the same issue, so I’m really hoping it was a fluke? We’ll find out in November I guess!

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I'm also a fan of the 6.5 Grendel. I haven't had time to develop a load yet. Between the Federal Fusion MSR 120gr and the American Eagle 90gr TNT my bases are covered. Both shoot very well from my Faxon barrel and the Federal 120gr Fusion bullet expands nicely in wet paper tests I've done.

Thanks, Dinny

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm also a fan of the 6.5 Grendel. I haven't had time to develop a load yet. Between the Federal Fusion MSR 120gr and the American Eagle 90gr TNT my bases are covered. Both shoot very well from my Faxon barrel and the Federal 120gr Fusion bullet expands nicely in wet paper tests I've done.

Thanks, Dinny

I've been considering the American Eagle 90gr how accurate are they? Do they hold a pretty tight group? I'm wanting to buy more factory ammo for the brass. Cheapest I have found is the American Eagle 90gr TNT. I just don't want something that's shooting over 1.5" 5 shot group at 100yds. Right now I'm buying Hornady Black 123gr ELD match. $22 a box of 20.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    DS,
    It shoots sub moa from my rifle. I have found the brass to be lacking. I much prefer to shoot Hornady ammo for the brass. This guy likes the 90gr TNT for hog hunting: https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Thanks, Dinny

So the federal brass isn't to good. I wish I could find some Hornady brass cases for around $ 30 for 100 I'd probably buy a few hundred and load my own.

Wow you would not think a varmint round would bring down a big hog.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Starline also makes good brass. Check out their prices or MidwayUSA sells it in smaller lots. The Federal brass primer pockets were loose after only a few loadings, on the few I tried.

Thanks, Dinny

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think I’d want a little tougher bullet than a TNT for hogs. 120gr gold dot would be my choice for Grendel hogs.

What I was thinking but the video shows them dropping hogs left and right.

Starline also makes good brass. Check out their prices or MidwayUSA sells it in smaller lots. The Federal brass primer pockets were loose after only a few loadings, on the few I tried.

Thanks, Dinny

Okay thanks I'll give them a look at.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I think I’d want a little tougher bullet than a TNT for hogs. 120gr gold dot would be my choice for Grendel hogs.

A friend of mince used the 120gr Gold Dot last year and will never use them again. They came apart on a nice deer and he tracked it alot farther than he should have even with perfect placement. This year we plan to use the 120gr Federal Fusion ammo or the bullets if they become available soon.

Thanks, Dinny

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've been considering the American Eagle 90gr how accurate are they? Do they hold a pretty tight group? I'm wanting to buy more factory ammo for the brass. Cheapest I have found is the American Eagle 90gr TNT. I just don't want something that's shooting over 1.5" 5 shot group at 100yds. Right now I'm buying Hornady Black 123gr ELD match. $22 a box of 20.

I'm getting right at MOA with them. They are devastating on possums. I shot a possum by my shed at 60 yards and my shed looked like a Jackson Polluck painting. I'll be using them for coyotes this year. I zeroed at 50 yards. They were 2 inches high at 100, 2.5 at 150, and 2 at 200. 123 sst drop 1.5 low at 200, so the federals shoot a lot flatter. I ended up dropping my zero to one inch under at 50.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm getting right at MOA with them. They are devastating on possums. I shot a possum by my shed at 60 yards and my shed looked like a Jackson Polluck painting. I'll be using them for coyotes this year. I zeroed at 50 yards. They were 2 inches high at 100, 2.5 at 150, and 2 at 200. 123 sst drop 1.5 low at 200, so the federals shoot a lot flatter. I ended up dropping my zero to one inch under at 50.

That's good enough for me lol. Sure beats Wolf.

Top Bottom