• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I use a .270 Ruger MkII. I'm not recoil shy by any means but it would bother somebody that was I imagine. My daughter uses a Mossberg Predator in .243. No recoil at all. That things a tack driver!

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    If possible but not absolutely necessary. My dad has enough hunting rifles to fuel a small militia. I might go with one of his 270s for something like that. Although, I will say - having my own weapon that was versatile for different game would be great.
    You could borrow several of his one of his at a time just to see which you enjoy shooting the most, so that when you make a purchase for yourself you'll know it's the right one (or at least the right model for you). That would also allow you to buy your hunting gun after this current frenzy is over and probably save a little bit.

There are many things that affect felt recoil. Besides holding it correctly, gun weight and caliber are probably the two biggest factors followed by shock absorbing pads. I added an aftermarket slip-on pad to my .308 bolt action and it went from a mule to less recoil than the .270 I was given to hunt with as a teenager. I just put slip it on before a range trip or before deer season. The $15 spent on the pad totally changed how I felt about shooting that gun.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Have both 243 good to 300yds , The 270 has been a hunting round for longer then i been alive . But if the choice is 6.5 or 7mm 08 I would pick the 7mm 08 recoil is not a prob . Your only gonna shoot one shot hopefully. ? In the heat of the moment you will not even worry about recoil. If your shooting a 12ga slug you can handle 7mm 08

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    As of today, off the shelf ammo availability should drive or match, how much you plan on shooting or desire to shoot... However, as reloader with component availability... 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creedmoor

TheWingMaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Are you planning on hunting with the rifle in Indiana? If so neither caliber is legal. No calibers between .243 (larger) and .308 (smaller) are legal for deer hunting in Indiana. If out west then I would personally opt for the 7mm/08 as I am a non-bandwagon kind of guy and you can not beat a Tikka T3 factory rifle, equal it probably, but not surpass it.
    Hey man,

I think you sold me on a tikka. Been looking for a t3x forest. I might even settle for a hunter but I prefer the Monte Carlo to assist with sight picture. Wouldn’t happen to have one you’re wanting to part with woulda ya

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Hey man,

I think you sold me on a tikka. Been looking for a t3x forest. I might even settle for a hunter but I prefer the Monte Carlo to assist with sight picture. Wouldn’t happen to have one you’re wanting to part with woulda ya
    Sorry but I'd sooner part with a couple of fingers before I parted with my Tikka it shoots so well.
    If I were to buy another rifle I would have to stumble on a phenomenal deal on an equally good rifle to be convinced to defect from Tikka.
    About 5-6 years ago my friend and his son were with me trying out my various makes of bolt guns as I own Savages, Remingtons, 1 Browning 1 Ruger, a few others and my Tikka. I shot these groups at 100 yards with my Tikka and that was all they needed to see. They went out the fallowing week and bought to T3 Lites in 300WM. And both are happy beyond measure with thier SST/SYN T3's.
    They were trying out my other rifles while I was doing load development for my Tikka.
    Second pic is from checking my zero prior to the 2020 deer season.

Attachments

• 20170608_130031.jpg
      20170608_130031.jpg
      2.8 MB · Views: 8
    • 20201029_185051.jpg
      20201029_185051.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 8
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Sorry but I'd sooner part with a couple of fingers before I parted with my Tikka it shoots so well.
    If I were to buy another rifle I would have to stumble on a phenomenal deal on an equally good rifle to be convinced to defect from Tikka.
    About 5-6 years ago my friend and his son were with me trying out my various makes of bolt guns as I own Savages, Remingtons, 1 Browning 1 Ruger, a few others and my Tikka. I shot these groups at 100 yards with my Tikka and that was all they needed to see. They went out the fallowing week and bought to T3 Lites in 300WM. And both are happy beyond measure with thier SST/SYN T3's.
    They were trying out my other rifles while I was doing load development for my Tikka.
    Second pic is from checking my zero prior to the 2020 deer season.
    Yeah, those Tikkas can shoot! My 6.5x55 Hunter is a 3/4 MOA rifle with minimal load development and the Lite 223 is close to 1/2 MOA.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I picked up a Bergara ridge in 7-08 last year. The thing shoots, lights out. I fed it a doe on opening morning and plan on taking it out west to chase pronghorn and elk in the near future.
    I had a Tikka T3 lite stainless in 30-06, but the Bergara took it's spot. No competition.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have a 450 Bushmaster with 20" barrel on an ar platform. I have it scoped @ 100 yards, but could go further. I purchased the upper with leopuld scope, rail mount, barrel, & mag for $812 with shipping last feb. on gunbroker. I added an upgraded trigger for $150, lower for $50 , & the collapsible stock.

Top Bottom