• ...and so much more!
  • JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus

Emirates president calls 5G rollout fiasco the 'most delinquent mess he's seen in his entire career' and blames Pete Buttigieg for doing nothing to stop the chaos after dozens of flights were canceled - and then uncanceled​

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Big computer/telcom/finance money makes those decisions, the Biden administration is just along for the ride. Somebody at Mckinsey probably just told Pete to forget about any possible consequences, if he even bothered to make any inquiry at all.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The government sold the spectrum. They shouldn’t be able to block its use. The FAA should have stepped in before the auction was finalized or kept their mouth shut.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    FJgY0eIVIAIZ4IV

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Unfortunately the FAA usually doesn't step in until a significant number of people wind up in the smoldering wreck of what used to be an amazing flying machine. Many problems in past aircraft that were known but nothing was done because nobody died... until the plane fell out of the sky for reasons known.

This frequency problem was known but as usual the FAA was more worried about smart phones which in tests have shown to be problem free, but the 5G frequence is close enough to the radar altimeter (which is why aircraft can now be landed in zero visibility conditions) to potentially cause the altitude readout to be slightly off, and there is nothing worse than landing 20 feet under the runway.

And I know a little about how the FAA words as a pilot and licensed aircraft mechanic.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    From the perspective of big computer money, this is an aviation problem. It's going to make them a ton of money and they are in charge so the aviation industry will just have to find a solution.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    This entire thing is a charlie fox of epidemic proportions.

That the FAA and FDC weren't addressing this over previous YEARS is beyond unacceptable. If I were a telecom, I'd be pissed too...this seems like (once again) government allowing the public and business to be grossly inconvenienced to lobby industry for a change that government could have required but chose not to.

I do personally believe the FAA is being a bit overdramatic - I've not seen any verifiable demonstrated proof of interference with radar altimeters or ground proximity systems, just potential/hypothetical speculation. I'm certainly not familiar with all commercial aircraft but some of the restrictions that were discussed were just stupid and would have compromised safety WAY more than any potential interference. At the same time, the FCC manages aviation frequencies and never should have auctioned that band if they believed there would be an interference problem.

There should be a fairly easy button fix here - use the mitigation techniques put in place in Europe (reduced power, down-angled antennas, and larger buffer zones) around airports.

This entire thing is pathetic.

Top Bottom