• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just picked up some of these for a inexpensive load for my AR 1-9 twist. Anyone loaded these? Looking for Win 748 or H335 loads so I can run them through the Dillon.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have tried these bullets. They shot VERY well, especially for hunting bullets. I have a picture on my profile page of a group I shot with them at 100 yards through a stock AR in prone position that is smaller than a .223 case, and that includes adjusting the sight to try to get the group centered. They are sub MOA shooting bullets. I was pleasently surprised because so many bullets in that price range are bulk pack combat bullets that are not that accurate. Sorry I cannot help with a load, I was using H-4895 stick powder. I pretty much just picked the middle of the range from the Hodgdon.com website, and it shot great, so I quit "load development".

BTW, MidwayUSA has a special going on them in this months flier, both the soft point and the hollow point flavors.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Ok first off I use max data in the Sierra book for 55g 223 with H335. But isn't it a bad idea to use soft point bullets in an AR?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have never ran them through an AR just based on warnings from others that the tip may shave some lead off during cycling. I don't know for sure it's just what I have been told

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    If they shave some and still don't shoot too bad at 100 to 200 yrds I'll be happy.I was worried more about them blowing up before they hit from the rotation in the 1-9 twist barrel.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    How about the hollow points? So far I ran a test batch with the Midway Dogtown 55 gr at 100 they are grouping under an inch with no feeding problems. so far I have ran about 100 rounds with no issues.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    If they shave some and still don't shoot too bad at 100 to 200 yrds I'll be happy.I was worried more about them blowing up before they hit from the rotation in the 1-9 twist barrel.

don't think you will have them blowing up on you i shoot them out of a 22-250 but the twist in it is only 1-12 but im pushing them alot faster than you are in 223. i have not had them come apart yet so i would think they should work fine for you.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I'm another fan of the 55 gr Dogtown soft points. I've shot them out of both my AR uppers in 1:9 and 1:7 twist. Accuracy and reliability is excellent out of both uppers when using 748.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've been throwing the Varmint Nightmare SP's through my last 2k reloads of my AR...I've yet to see a problem or find any lead shaved from the bullets before firing. But I might be the exception as usual.

Same here and no feeding issues. I've read that the Varmint Nightmares are identical to the dogtown and infact may be the same bullet.

Top Bottom