• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    545x39 I have more then 3 guys will ever shoot and it's cheap but if you load it it its also more accurate than 556.

Besides a couple of zany homebuilds, I'm not aware of much other than the East German bolt gun that Blood & Guts mentioned. Would be awesome to see a conversion for a cheap .223 Savage Axis or Ruger American. But unless you have the tools and tooling experience to DIY, you're looking at ponying up several thousand for the factory DDR.

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    545x39 I have more then 3 guys will ever shoot and it's cheap but if you load it it its also more accurate than 556.
    I get the love for commie guns, I really do, but there is no way that you're gonna make 5.45 loads more accurate than custom rolled 5.56 loads. But a part from that any custom work for 5.45 bolt guns would have made sense back in the early 2000's when 5.45 imports were cheap and plentiful compared to .223 and 5.56 back then, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to do it now. You'd probably be better off just selling the ammo that you're not going to use and fund a 5.56 bolt gun.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    A custom gun built around surplus ammo? I would think there are better options. Reloading companies like Redding have hundreds of die/calibers that are closely related and virtually obsolete because they offer no improvement over conventional calibers.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It is important to note that while nominally chambered in 5.45x39, the SSG-82 was designed to use specially made ammo. (RWS .215)
    While you can fire the run of the mill 5.45x39 in it, its highly not recommended, the extractor is known to be flimsy, and the normal rounds are hard on it.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Savages are known for having easy to change barrels. If you’re really wanting to do it, an axis or model 10 could be a good host.

I suspect though, finding a barrel blank with the proper diameter will be a challenge as 5.45x39 does not use any of our standard bore diameters.

I know it’s not the most practical want but just cause it’s not practical doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. I’ve sure had some strange gun kinks in the past. Cheers.

crazyj789

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Valparaiso
    Has anyone ever had or have a bolt gun converted to shoot 545x39?
    Yes. You have to find a barrel blank and have it chambered, profiled, and threaded for the action. Once you have the blank you then have the task of finding the smith to take on the work. Have a friend that made one on a Remington action and it’s pretty awesome.

Top Bottom