• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I have begun handloading for the 500 S&W magnum recently and am looking for some advice on pressure signs to look for when working up a load for such a high pressure cartridge. I’ve read a few times that primer flattening is normal for this round, and I’ve noticed some flattening even on my starting loads from the Hornady manual. One grain up from the starting load I’m already seeing a feint ring around the primer pocket from the case head pressing into the area of the breechface around the firing pin channel. I’m using a Hornady 500 grain XTP, WLR primers, H110 powder and a moderate crimp. The revolver is a S&W 500 with a 6.5” barrel. Any advice from those experienced with the big 500? Thanks!

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Don't make a hand grenade. Factory loads are plenty hot. No need to up the charge. If you need more recoil, buy a 338 Lapua. .:rolleyes:

If I felt I needed to go up from the starting load, I'd go 1 or 2 tenths of a grain at a time. What is the range of recommended loads in H110?

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Don't make a hand grenade. Factory loads are plenty hot. No need to up the charge. If you need more recoil, buy a 338 Lapua. .:rolleyes:

If I felt I needed to go up from the starting load, I'd go 1 or 2 tenths of a grain at a time. What is the range of recommended loads in H110?

Starting is 25.3, max is around 34.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I don't have any experience with a 500 but seeing that starting loads are flattening primers the first thing I would do is chronograph those loads and see were they are compared to what the book says. The next thing would be double check on what type of primer is needed. A quick check of the cylinder throats to be on the safe side and bullet diameter.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I would look at a couple of different manuals and even the powder website, wouldn't be the first time someone fat fingered entering load data

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    500 S&W Magnum Pressure Signs

JzApI1X.gif
    PRESSURE SIGNS????
    JzApI1X.gif

IT'S A 500 MAGNUM!!!! THAT'S A 50 ****ING CALIBER AT 60,000psi SHOVED INTO A HANDGUN!!!!!

THAT SIGN IS NOT BIG ENOUGH F0R YOU?????

:runaway:

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I don't have any experience with a 500 but seeing that starting loads are flattening primers the first thing I would do is chronograph those loads and see were they are compared to what the book says. The next thing would be double check on what type of primer is needed. A quick check of the cylinder throats to be on the safe side and bullet diameter.

The book calls for WLR, as does the star line brass I’m loading up. Funny you mentioned the chronograph, I just ordered one this afternoon to for this very reason.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I would look at a couple of different manuals and even the powder website, wouldn't be the first time someone fat fingered entering load data

I’ve cross referenced the Hornady manual, the Lyman manual, and the load data that came with my Lee die set. All have their starting loads in the same ballpark for the projectile weight I’m using. I’ll be checking things out with the chronograph, but the problem is all the manuals list velocities for an 8 3/8” barrel and mine is a 6.5”. I’m not sure how to compare my velocities to what’s in the book.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The primers and brass sound correct. I don't load for that round but I have found that with flattened primers, sticky extraction, bulging brass it is time to check velocity. At 1 7/8" shorter my guess would be 50-100 fps slower for that barrel.
    If the fps number is high then I would look at scale setting being off, bullet or throat size incorrect and fire a factory round for a base line comparison.
    Let us know what you find.

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We don't load for the big 500 but if you're getting pressure signs at the 'starting load' something is off. Proceed with caution and check velocities with a chrono.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I reload for my 500 s&w and have only had a problem with getting tight crimp.
    I load new starline brass cases to start. federal large rifle mag. primers(both available @ cabelas Noblesville)
    350gr. berry plated. get one with crimp groove if can.
    I use power pistol at 25.3gr.
    my 4 " S&W 500 with muzzle brake for copper projectiles shoots great & is fun.
    attaching 2 links you need to read
    Reloading 500 S&W Magnum Page
    https://ultimatereloader.com/2017/06/07/second-to-none-reloading-and-shooting-500-sw-magnum/

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    first link gives wide range of data.
    second link gives info on starline brass & mag. rifle primers. other useful info.
    I have been reloading since 1986 for handguns & rifles. be sure to pay attention to details. H110 & W296 powders have usually had just one powder weight for each bullet wt. (red I see a range in 500gr. H110 data and if you have new starline cases use data at 3% less to start.
    good

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    p.s.
    I have a chrony and you would(will) have a problem. it's just another gadget that really doesn't matter with 6 1/2 " revolver.
    I used mine to get long range rifle data for hunting in Montana & West Virginia.
    plus with the heavy recoil you might miss the small window & destroy that chrony
    my gun shoots low @ 15ft with chrony on tripod.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I’ve cross referenced the Hornady manual, the Lyman manual, and the load data that came with my Lee die set. All have their starting loads in the same ballpark for the projectile weight I’m using. I’ll be checking things out with the chronograph, but the problem is all the manuals list velocities for an 8 3/8” barrel and mine is a 6.5”. I’m not sure how to compare my velocities to what’s in the book.

This may, or may not help...
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

It's worth looking at anyway.

Well, I just went to look and found the link above does not include the .500S&W magnum in their lineup.
    I believe they do takes requests, and this would be an interesting one to follow.
    I have a Handi-Rifle in .500S&W :popcorn:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    One needs to be careful using small or short charges of slow burning powder, it also can cause high pressure. Ask me how I know.

That's a great point.
    I'm a novice hand-loader, but I've heard or read that H110/W296 are powders that you do NOT want to undercharge.
    Serious pressure spikes can result.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Get a few Underwood try them out. Dissect a few find the powder charge.
    I did that with their 10mm rounds. They use 800x that was easy to see. So I just duplicated their load. I'm sure you can do the same with the 500 as long as you positively identify the powder.

Last edited:

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Thanks to all who replied. For what it’s worth, the cases eject very easily with no sticking at all. I didn’t think to mention that before but someone else brought it up and it reminded me. That puzzles me.

My chrono should arrive today. I’ll check my measurements and then fire a few more and hopefully get some data there. I’ll also post some pictures of my spent cases. Maybe you guys could weigh in and let me know if these primers are actually flattening or if they look normal to you.

Top Bottom