• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There was a thread recently on chest rigs for concealment. [https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/chest-rigs-for-concealment.532145/]

The well-known Hill People Gear Kit bags were mentioned. However, a bag I haven’t seen/noticed before, the 5.11 Skyweight Utility Chest Pack, was also mentioned and caught my eye.

Well, I picked up one of the 5.11 Skyweight Utility Chest Packs during their President’s Day sale ($48). 5.11 stuff is generally decent quality, and I figured if was 80% of the HPG bag for a 1/3 the cost it would be a win.

In terms of volume and size, the 5.11 Skyweight pack falls somewhere between the HPG Original Kit Bag Medium (HPG OKBM) and their Snubby bag (HPG OKBS).

Comparing some specs (since I don’t have a HPG bag to physically compare):

• OKBM – 10”w x 7”h x 2.5”d, 175 cu. in.
    • 5.11 – 10”w x 6”h x 2.5”d, 120 cu. in. (as listed by 5.11, calculated is 150 cu.in.)
    • OKBS – 8.5”w x 6”h x 2”d, 102 cu. in.

The HPG bag uses heavier 500d material vs. 330d of the 5.11.

Harnesses: Similar harness systems, although I think I’d prefer the HPG’s more standard buckle vs. the 5.11 weird/proprietary buckle for the torso strap (see below).

buckles.jpg
    Strap length: I’m not a large guy, but IMO 5.11 should have provided more strap length for adjustment of the bottom/torso straps. Likely a bit too short to go over a large/bulky coat or around the more rotund individual. I have them as long as they’ll go. The shoulder straps are of adequate length (barely). This will work for me, but I’d like to have more strap length. If you’re large or want to put over a bulky coat, I’m not so sure. Also, not sure if this is a 5.11 thing or not, but I also have a 5.11 messenger bag from some years ago and my chief complaint – the shoulder strap is too short. Both have elastic keepers to capture loose strap ends. A question for HPG Kit Bag owners - How is the strap length?

From back to front:

Concealment pocket – from the online pics, the HPG pocket looks to have a Velcro loop strip down the middle approx. 2” wide whereas the 5.11 has a full loop panel on the back of the pocket. Both have a loop tab to which a minimal trigger guard cover could be attached (ex. Fricke Zacchaeus, Raven Vanguard, etc.).

The admin/organization pocket of the 5.11 is pretty nice, with plenty of loops and pockets for things. Could be fitted out as a decent IFAK. From the pics online, the HPG bags have less in this area (2 pockets and a couple of loop tabs), although they have a pals field on the back so you can add your own admin panel (customizable, but more cost unless you already have one).

There’s a zippered slash pocket, and an open top “dump” pocket of woven material on the front.

Other stuff:

Bottom loops: HPG has a row of PALS along the bottom. 5.11 just has 4 narrower loops closer together (a bit too small to tuck a wide TQ in unfortunately, but available for tying off stuff, etc.)

Both have a few other loops to clip things onto. The HPG bag also has grimlocs on the top tabs.

The 5.11 has a tunnel along the back that allows the bag to be used as a waist pack with a regular belt or a wider pack belt (maybe a battle belt). The tunnel is held closed with Velcro when not in use.

Size-wise, something like a Glock 17 or SIG P220 is about the size limit of the 5.11 bag (tight/stuffed). IMHO it is better suited for something a bit smaller like the G19/P229 as, in my experience, bumping up to the size limit can put pressure on the zippers impede the quick opening of those zippers (depending on the bag). Having a little room between the pistol and the perimeter of the CC pocket is usually a good thing. It’s too small for something like a 4” K-frame revolver. A 3” revolver will fit with the right grips. I’d say the 5.11 is a G19/3” revolver bag. 5.11 says the Skyweight is "compact" sized with which I'd agree.

The full-size HPG kit bag, OKBF, would handle full size autos better. Maybe HPG owners could chime in on this.

Overall I’ve no doubt the HPG bag is probably the more ruggedly constructed and I like the row of PALS along the bottom. OTOH, for me, the 5.11’s org pocket for which I don’t have to buy an additional admin panel is a plus.

At $48 for the 5.11 vs. $140 for the HPG, I think it’s a good value proposition for lighter duty use. At the $60 regular price, while less of a "deal" it’s still less than half the cost of the HPG bag while being way more than half the bag.

I also like the full loop panel in the 5.11’s concealment pocket better than the HPG's 2” strip. Should hold a hook backed holster more securely. The rear tunnel allowing waist use is a nice option although I don’t plan to use the bag that way.

My biggest criticisms of the 5.11 pack (things I’d change) would be that they need to have MORE strap length on the harness, and the use of the weird clips vs. a more standard design on the lower/torso strap ends.

Hey 5.11, don’t cheap out on the strap length!!

HPG - https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
    5.11 - https://www.511tactical.com/skyweight-utility-chest-pack.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom