• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    This is a very cool project! Hopefully someday I'll have the patience and skills to undertake such an endeavor. Just curious because I don't know anything about it, why did you choose this particular caliber?
    Well, it is Indiana deer legal on public ground.

I wanted to be able to get the old Swed back into the woods and thought an nice deer gun would be the way to do it.

I have a .44 Mag. that I have been using on public ground but they are limited to +-100 yards.

The .450BM, depending on what you are packing them with is 200-300yards.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Bob, what brand recoil pad did you use in the past that was harder than the Limbsaver? I am thinking about adding a grind-to-fit pad to my 10/22 and I too have run into difficulties with the soft material on a Limbsaver.
    Pachmayr makes harder pads that are easier to work with.

If it is a factory 10/22 stock I am sure you could find a precut one already shaped with the holes in the proper locations.

If you are wanting to learn and do your own check out the Packmayr pads.

Also a bench sander makes life WAY easier. It can be done with a belt sander but would be harder.

I would also imagine if you have the patience you could do it with sandpaper strapped to a wooden block.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Pachmayr makes harder pads that are easier to work with.

If it is a factory 10/22 stock I am sure you could find a precut one already shaped with the holes in the proper locations.

If you are wanting to learn and do your own check out the Packmayr pads.

Also a bench sander makes life WAY easier. It can be done with a belt sander but would be harder.

I would also imagine if you have the patience you could do it with sandpaper strapped to a wooden block.
    Thanks! It won't be factory when I'm done. I'm cutting the "curve" off the stock, adding a piece of wood, if needed, to lengthen the LOP somewhat. Then I was thinking I'd add the pad. I have to do some measuring first. I'm looking for a 14"-14.5" LOP and after I cut the curve plus some to get rid of the section at the top where the factory plate wraps around, I'm not sure how much LOP I will lose. If I can get to where I want with just the recoil pad, that would be great.

Top Bottom