• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Okay...long story short. In the Gun Smithing tread I am working on a M96 Mauser conversion to .450BM.

I shot three test rounds the other day and the firing pin is CRUSHING the primers.

I understand this is a military action and reloading was not a concern but detination was.

Should I be concerned with this much primer impact? Can I damage my brass?

I could always take a couple coils off the spring but that can be a slippery slope.
    20210223_091705.jpg 20210223_091758.jpg

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I would try some different ammo that has harder primers.. you definitely don't want light strikes that could lead to hang fires (deadly) typically CCI #41, 35 and magnum have harder cups.. I would start there.. does not appear to be flattened from over pressure. Me personally, I would order a 2nd pin and take a half hair off at a time to get strike depth where I wanted. The hard hit will ensure ignition and maintain as the spring weakens.. That's just me though

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    These were factory loaded Remington rounds. I have not been able to round up the remaining components to start rolling my own yet.

Once the market calms down that will be the next adventure.

As for the firing pin spring, I don't see it weakening considering the current one is over 100 years old and the size of the coil springs on my car..:laugh:

I have a recoil spring left over from a CZ build I did that may actually fit....just need to try it.

It will be as if America, Sweden, and Czechoslovakia had a LOVE BABY! A .450 Amswedvokia....don't make fun....I am sure after the USSR fell there is some small country over there with that name!:rofl:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom