• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2AmendTom

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    May 11, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    Not sure if this is allowed here, so feel free to remove if not, it recently bought a trapdoor and looking for some 45-70 govt low pressure black powder rounds. I will travel.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Do you reload now with a press? Cartridge BP is really just using soft lead bullets and making sure the case is full enough that your bullet compresses the powder slightly. 2F would be a good grade for 45-70.

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    ....BP in a 45 70 isn't difficult. Is it a full stock or a carbine? I have an full stock infantry rifle. I load mine with 42 gr of 2f Goex and 300gr spg flat noses and use a combo of fibre and cardboard wads to fill the case. Lately I have been using magnum primers. Same as a standard muzzle loader, no powder gap, with cartridges it takes some measuring to get something you're comfortable with. If you can find a copy of this book. It explains a lot. The loads I make are for CAS (cowboy) shooting. All my buddies shoot carbines and their loads are in the 30-35 gr range. I load on a single stage RCBS press.

I use the low pressure loads because our range rules dictate such. I do 67gr loads with a 405 bullet for long range. Shooting these is like shooting my old Brown Bess or my current 1795 musket with 100gr of powder. After 10-12 rounds, my old shoulder says, "enough"!

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_171228.jpg
      IMG_20220726_171228.jpg
      339.1 KB · Views: 2
    Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I fill a case enough to get an eighth inch compression then put a cork wad in. On this wad I add a dab of Bore Butter. When I seat the bullet the lube comes up the side of the bullet. Wipe off any squeezins an yer done. I also use magnum primers.

Reale1741

Marksman
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    I've been loading for Trapdoors for probably 15 years. In fact, it was the caliber that got me into reloading. It's super easy. One of the most important things is to get a good quality powder. Goex FFG was my go to, but it's getting harder to find. Some of my best loads used 65gr of powder with a 405gr projectile and a fiber wad. If you need brass, I have hundreds of never fired Starline casings.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've been loading for Trapdoors for probably 15 years. In fact, it was the caliber that got me into reloading. It's super easy. One of the most important things is to get a good quality powder. Goex FFG was my go to, but it's getting harder to find. Some of my best loads used 65gr of powder with a 405gr projectile and a fiber wad. If you need brass, I have hundreds of never fired Starline casings.
    Are you casting the 405's?
    If so the OP would probably love some of those and some brass.

What life are you getting from your Starline brass? When I do buy it I anneal it before I load it, the 45-70 and 90 brass from them is really hard brass.

Reale1741

Marksman
    Apr 22, 2020
    Jeffersonville
    Are you casting the 405's?
    If so the OP would probably love some of those and some brass.

What life are you getting from your Starline brass? When I do buy it I anneal it before I load it, the 45-70 and 90 brass from them is really hard brass.

I tried casting, but my 1888 Rod Bayonet rifle didn't like what my Lee mold threw. No matter what I tried, I could not get any accuracy. I decided to switch to Missouri Bullet Co's .459 405gr RNFP projectiles and got excellent accuracy.

As for case life, I never really pushed my casings too hard. 3 or 4 firings and I'd retire them. I can only remember one split neck and one rupture out of 1000+ rounds from probably 6 different Trapdoor rifles over the years. I've since sold all of my .45-70s and now concentrate on .50-70 Trapdoors. They're definitely a whole different animal!

Dog1

Master
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I shoot low pressure low recoil smokeless loads out of my trapdoor.

24-25.5 grains of Shooters World Buffalo Rifle Powder..

Great loads and fairly accurate.

Cast my own bullets as well with pure lead and lube with tallow.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I load for a trapdoor. Starline Brass, annealed ever 3 firing. Felt wad soaked in SPG or Bore Butter. Lyman 525 gr RN bullet 20-1 lubed with SPG. LR primer. either FFg or FFFg black powder. For a money shoot I use Swiss otherwise I don't care. I take the depth of the bullet seated in the case plus the felt wad thickness to know where the powder needs to be. I don't use a drop tube but do viverate the case with powder in it till it ends up a the depth I want. If you viberate the case just take it to bullet setting depth then take a compression die and compress the thickness of the felt. Seat your felt and bullet and very lightly crimp. If carrying the round you have to do a harder crimp.

I have cases that have 10-15 times shot but you must anneal them. I don't reload Revolution brass as they are short.

The above loading manual gives light cowboy loads-smokeless

Top Bottom