• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Finally got around to this Rifle/Handgun review.

Many of you will know that I am no stranger to Combos in the field. Regardless of shooting Cowboy Action matches SASS - Home of Cowboy Action Shooting (sassnet.com), on farm equipment, hunting, Horseback trails, or just plain plinking, the convenience of a Rifle/Handgun Combo is so cool.

First up is the Marlin 1894CB in 44 Magnum. This is the oldest of the POST 2018 Marlins that I own. As evidenced by the stamped warning on the right side of the barrel. All my later Marlins ae not stamped. It will be interesting to see what Ruger will do regarding the warning label. I have been very public about the workmanship of Remington since 2018. Having friends on the inside of the factory has been a very rewarding relationship for me. If you never got to Ilion, then you missed a huge part of our history in progress. Keith Dye has built me several custom shop guns and told me 30 years ago on one of my visits that the craftsmen were dying off and no apprentices were coming on board to hand fit guns for the future. Sad. Someday I may drive back out there to see what the new factory has became. Worse case scenario I will visit some retired gunmakers and have some homemade soup at Crossway’s Tavern on Clark street.

I, along with many have not a clue on what Ruger is about to roll out with the Marlin line. One thing for sure is, I think that the roll out models will be changed slightly with 2023 Production. Bank on it. This Marlin in this review has very clean CNC machining inside and out. The bolt fits perfectly and the trigger breaks clean at 3 ½ pounds. I know that many of today’s newer lever Action shooters are having trouble with the loading gate and want to switch them out to Aluminum aftermarket ones. Many do not like the trigger arrangement as well on the Marlin Levers. Many do not care for the crossbolt safety on these rifles and often replace them with cheesy false buttons. I, for one welcome the all steel hammer block safety on thse rifles. They make the gun far easier to empty the magazine and dry firing could not be better. Many do not like the craftsmen fitted wood stocks either, many need dots, and lights and stuff along with cartridge carriers and lace wrapped all around. All this is fine and defining but I prefer to just shoot how she comes. Not good or bad mind you, just my preference. It s important to point out that unlike some of these gadgets, I have experienced ZERO malfunctions or have had ANY trouble loading ammo into the magazine tube as equipped. Not sure that many try to fix things that are not broke. I offer Lever Action Workshops and small matches to those that want to play with lever guns and quite simply less is more when it comes to handling a lever gun.

The Marbles sights pictured have plenty of adjustment to them and I still can see them very clearly at 70 years old. The octagon barrel is very accurate and the bluing is good as well. I love Ruger but, I have never seen a finish job on any Ruger product this nice. Another interesting wait and see item. My hunting rounds consist of the Winchester Supreme 250 grain Silvertips pictured. They group very nice and recoil is easy on the 6 ½ pound gun.

This Ruger Super Blackhawk, which is a great companion to the Marlin, stands on it’s own as a dependable, powerful and accurate handgun. I review it earlier (2) Ruger Super Blackhawk Review | Indiana Gun Owners - Gun Classifieds and Discussions as a stand alone review. Since then I have added an improved rear sight. The all tool steel sight is made by Bowen. Ruger Rough Country Rear Sights : +Parts Store+, Bowen Classic Arms. It’s a little pricey but it sure picks up the pace where Ruger leaves off. The enclosed target is a typical group size target with Magnum rounds. I can tighten the group size a little bit with hand loaded 44 specials.

This Marlin/Ruger Combo is a joy to shoot. The power of a 44 Magnum is awesome and controllable in these guns. Let’s hope the Ruger rollout is a good one without too many compromises. I am thankful for the older models of everything I have as the past is proven and the future is uncertain. IMG_2731 (002).jpg IMG_2732 (002).jpg IMG_2733 (002).jpg IMG_2736 (002).jpg IMG_2737 (002).jpg IMG_2739 (002).jpg IMG_2740 (002).jpg IMG_2742 (002).jpg IMG_2743 (002).jpg IMG_2738 (002).jpg

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Excellent review on some great firearms!

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

I have a similar Marlin that I picked up when Indiana changed some rules on deer hunting. (Goodbye slug gun and good riddance!)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nice write up ( as usual ). Unfortunately not a subscriber to combos of same cartridge

For me, if im gonna lug a handgun around and a rifle, i want lesser application overlap.

Ex: 243 varmint rifle, .357 mag revolver.

If I was to carry one cartridge, then itd be one item. Im older and more grumpy and w bad back extra of anything stinks.

I used to carry a handgun and rifle when hunting. Now its one or the other LOL

Top Bottom