• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Hi , I am having a hard time finding deer ammo for my pistol , its of course 44mag.98% of stores dont have the HORNADY round in 240grain or 300 grain.I did find a store that had HORNADY FTX BULLET in 225 grain , it was LEVERLUTION type.Would this be just as effective on a deer . Realisticly if thats ALL I can find I will be STUCK using it , better than nothing. Do any of you use this this ammo , just curious , and what was the outcome , did it penetrate and expand in cavity or did it pass thru , and which way would be more effective to get more blood loss ? EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST , and I dont have much with the 44 mag.THANKS

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My experience with the Leverevolution is that you need to hit bone to get expansion. It will go through the chest and never open up unless you sacrifice a shoulder.
    This was using a Marlin carbine and your results may vary but my brother I and both believe that if you don't waste meat you have a long walk ahead of you...

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well now that the MAIN firearm season is over 44 will start to show up on the shelves again I never had issues with leverlution except sometimes feeding issues with those funky tips

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well now that the MAIN firearm season is over 44 will start to show up on the shelves again I never had issues with leverlution except sometimes feeding issues with those funky tips
    Take a utility knife and cut them flush with the top and try that.

I personally like the XTP bullet it's always done a good job for me. 300gr and 240gr. I think next year I'm going to try 180gr XTP.

browningseeker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2022
    Huntingburg, IN
    I started using a CVA scout in 44 mag last year. At the time I could only find the Hornady 240 grain xtp bullets. Ive shot 4 deer with them and none have gone over 75 yards. It packs a serious punch. Ive also used the 225 grain leverevolution and have no complaints with it either.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    240 grain Hornady JHP on top of a generous charge of WW 296. A solid accurate hunting load inside 100 yards with a 1970s Marlin 1894. I've never tried the plastic tipped ammo as what I have couldn't work better.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    How do you like your Marlin 1894? Ive been on the hunt for one recently.

It's a great rifle, particularly with that homemade ammo combination. Old microgroove barrel so cast bullets at higher speeds don't work well, but fine with jacketed. Short and light weight, easy to use in a tree stand. It sports a 4X scope.

A good gun for all the hunting I do which is in small clearings and woods.

NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Hi , I am having a hard time finding deer ammo for my pistol , its of course 44mag.98% of stores dont have the HORNADY round in 240grain or 300 grain.I did find a store that had HORNADY FTX BULLET in 225 grain , it was LEVERLUTION type.Would this be just as effective on a deer . Realisticly if thats ALL I can find I will be STUCK using it , better than nothing. Do any of you use this this ammo , just curious , and what was the outcome , did it penetrate and expand in cavity or did it pass thru , and which way would be more effective to get more blood loss ? EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST , and I dont have much with the 44 mag.THANKS
    My dad took multiple does with 44mag lead nose bullets. And some HP black talons. I’ve upgraded to Hornady over the years but haven’t taken on with them yet.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I've hunted whitetail with the .357 and .44 for over 15 years, shot everything from XTPs to soft points to JSP in 200 to 240 grain loads and if you wait for the shot within your acceptable range they aren't going to run far. I think the farthest I've had one run is 30 yards tops. Both of Dan Wesson revolvers sport 6 inch barrels and I keep the .357 at 60 yard limit and the .44 is good for 100+ yards wearing a scope. I've yet to recover a bullet from a carcass.

Handgun hunting in reality is no different than hunting with a bow. Limit your shots to where you know you have a solid shot to the vitals, if you don't you let it live for another day.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Crandall Crank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2017
    Southern IN
    We load up the Hornady FTX in the 265 grain (actually made for the 444 Marlin) and use them in a single shot. Never lost a deer. We do traditional chest shots and the occasional head shot. If you do your part, the round will do its. They only reason I'd change is to go to a cast bullet, but I've got enough for many years.

coldwaterboys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2014
    Festus
    every .44 kill we've had (me and my 3 boys), have all been hammered with the leverevolution ammo except for one. works like a champ from or old ruger carbines to our lever guns

Top Bottom