• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    As long as you stay on the long side of 16 inch your legality ok, but unless the cut is square to the axis of the bore your point of impact will change (and sometimes dramatically) plus you we running an "open" choke.
    Should you get up towards New Haven, I will look at the job and possibly neck it off in my lathe.
    Shotgun minimum barrel length is 18 inches.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't own a shotgun...

alexandra-daddario-what-v2t7ybt1uwgcijui.gif

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    It wasn't horrible but quite noticeable. I went ahead and cut them down to 20 inches. The gun is great now.
    Crescent has been out of business long enough, that I'm fairly confident that the shotgun was choked to pattern with the old over/under cardboard wads. Modern shotgun shells using plastic shot cups deliver MUCH tighter patterns through the same chokes. I bet you see better hit percentages with the shorter barrels, which are now less choked.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    How bad is the bulge? No splits -You might have just made a jug choked barrel -that is how all muzzle loaders where choke in their day.Pattern it and see what you have before you cut anything.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    Crescent has been out of business long enough, that I'm fairly confident that the shotgun was choked to pattern with the old over/under cardboard wads. Modern shotgun shells using plastic shot cups deliver MUCH tighter patterns through the same chokes. I bet you see better hit percentages with the shorter barrels, which are now less choked.
    You are pretty on the money. It shoots a good pattern for what it is. I ended up taking the barrels down to 20 inches and it has been a dream since. Thanks for clarification on the subject as well, I wasn't for certain if the chokes were different for early shot shells. Just had a faint idea that it was.

Taeverling

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2021
    Swayzee indiana
    How bad is the bulge? No splits -You might have just made a jug choked barrel -that is how all muzzle loaders where choke in their day.Pattern it and see what you have before you cut anything.
    There were no splits but it was bad enough that I wanted to take it out before it grew worse to be safe. Although I've never heard of jug choked. Care to dive deeper into that? Sounds interesting

Top Bottom