• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What is the general ballistic differences between 40 S & W and 9 mm?
    Have seen many discussions how people can shoot a 9 better than a 40
    Are there strong advantages to shooting the 40? Or, is it better just to
    stick with the 9?

Don't worry about what other people shoot better. Take a small gamble.... Go and buy a box of each caliber (cheap target ammo for now) and go to your local range. Meet some great people, ask a few questions, and I bet someone will let you try theirs. Then decide for yourself.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    This is just my opinion but the caliber isn't quite as important as the shooter. Choose what you're most comfortable with because if something ever does happen, little things will mean a lot, and usually in a bad way.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This graph is based on real bullets fired from real guns...
    94045ind.jpg

The .45 ACP has a 1" barrel length advantage due to a lack of 4" barrel data.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    To add to the number of folks advising "try before you buy"...

I have found that the .40SW round's recoil is not too sharp or otherwise uncomfortable or uncontrollable for me. Given that the .40 gives me a bit more punch at nearly the same cost (perhaps a dollar or two more) as the 9mm round, I'm fine with the extra cost. My dad went with 9mm for his first carry weapon about the same time I went with the .40 for my first. He found the 9mm more controllable for him, and he preferred saving the extra buck per box.

The other aspect I considered was how many rounds I can carry. In general, the more firepower one has - both in caliber and round count - the better prepared one is. My brother gets 15 rounds in his Glock 19 (a 9mm weapon) while I get 12 in my compact XD (in .40SW). We have the same size firearm, but he has more rounds. Nevertheless, I decided that I was satisfied carrying "only" 12 rounds in .40 on a daily basis.

And like other people have pointed out, with a good hollow point round, you'll be able to defend yourself and your family with a 9mm round just as well as with a .40SW. The rest is really up to you: what you feel comfortable shooting, what you can shoot accurately, and what tradeoffs you want to make (everything in life is a tradeoff, this is no exception).

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Pardon Me, I am new and can't figure forums out. I am seeking people's preferences and debates of the question of self defense with the 9 vs. the 40. I'll go to school and try to get better. Sorry I don't meet your standards.

Look man, don't get bent out of shape. There are some folks who have been around here for a while and the guy who said this has been beat to death was right but don't worry about it. It's a free country (at least for now) ask whatever the heck you want. I got caught up in the whole caliber debate for a time. You find in the end they all do the job when you hit the right spot.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    To add to the number of folks advising "try before you buy"...

I have found that the .40SW round's recoil is not too sharp or otherwise uncomfortable or uncontrollable for me. Given that the .40 gives me a bit more punch at nearly the same cost (perhaps a dollar or two more) as the 9mm round, I'm fine with the extra cost. My dad went with 9mm for his first carry weapon about the same time I went with the .40 for my first. He found the 9mm more controllable for him, and he preferred saving the extra buck per box.

The other aspect I considered was how many rounds I can carry. In general, the more firepower one has - both in caliber and round count - the better prepared one is. My brother gets 15 rounds in his Glock 19 (a 9mm weapon) while I get 12 in my compact XD (in .40SW). We have the same size firearm, but he has more rounds. Nevertheless, I decided that I was satisfied carrying "only" 12 rounds in .40 on a daily basis.

And like other people have pointed out, with a good hollow point round, you'll be able to defend yourself and your family with a 9mm round just as well as with a .40SW. The rest is really up to you: what you feel comfortable shooting, what you can shoot accurately, and what tradeoffs you want to make (everything in life is a tradeoff, this is no exception).

I agree with you. I think the recoil on the .40 is fine. I don't really find it much different than most .9's I have shot. I carry both 9 and 40 but I think my preference is the 40.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Shot placement and depth of penetration are your two (2) most important factors in a gun fight...which ever one works best for you will be sufficient! Ask any bad guy who's been shot/killed by a 9mm and he'll tell you that it worked! The S&W .40 has some decent 'pop' to it when you shoot it, but it's got a lot more pressure in it to drive the 1mm large bullet.

If you get a .40 in a Glock, you can get a 9mm conversion barrel, along with 9mm mags, and shoot 9mm out of the same frame, saving you hundreds of $ on a second gun. Keeps the cost down for plinking, training, and target shooting. :rockwoot:

However, I've seen 9mm bullets bounce off of windshield's, first hand, (in a junk yard) whereas the .40 will plow right through them like they're not even there! You decide!!! :dunno:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    As has been pointed out in this thread, and attested to with pictures and reference links, the best modern loads in the common service calibers perform similarly. Indeed, they are designed this way.

The thing with 9mm is (and I'm not bashing the 9 here, I like it a lot) there are many crappy loads out there for it - possibly more so than for any of the other semi-auto service calibers.

So, give your load selection the attention it deserves. For plinking and punching paper it doesn't matter much what one uses. For defensive use, select the best modern loads and you'll be good to go.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    So, give your load selection the attention it deserves. For plinking and punching paper it doesn't matter much what one uses. For defensive use, select the best modern loads and you'll be good to go.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Take your handgun to the range. Shoot a mag full of cheap range ammo. Let the gun cool down. Now shoot a mag full of decent defense ammo. Wanna guess which ones are more accurate, and just feel better in the hand during shooting?

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I always recommend 9mm to newer shooters. It's a fine round that is plentiful and softer to shoot. The choice of amm types is endless also. Heavier 9mm guns make awesome first guns.

Carry what you want. Personally, I don't like the 40 round, but I love the 45, 9mm, and 357 sig.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    i would love to know the actual percentage of effectiveness with all things equal. i mean is a 9mm 95% of a .40.......or more like 75%. if they are all within 10%......by all means id take the 9 all day long with more ammo

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    i would love to know the actual percentage of effectiveness with all things equal. i mean is a 9mm 95% of a .40.......or more like 75%. if they are all within 10%......by all means id take the 9 all day long with more ammo

That would be nice, but unfortunately there's so much variability involved (what with shot placement variations, non-uniform human anatomy, etc.) it's virtually impossible to generate such numbers. Marshall and Sanow's percentage numbers are a statistical joke.

Top Bottom